Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-08, 06:55 PM   #1
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kennsandy
Default southern michigan fishermen

hey all, getting ready for another great year of fishing and i have a question for some of my lower state friends.

how are he lakes looking down there? myself and wagabons will be out fishing as many lakes as we can each and every weekend, so any insite on lower michigan lakes will be appreciated. we usually hit oakland, genesee, and livingston counties, sometimes a lil bit in lapeer and shiawassee.

thanks for all the help guys, a decent desription and we will probably come visit the lake, always curious about new things.

kennsandy
kennsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 07:01 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Only fished one this year so far, and it was for Musky, so I'll probably be no help. Buzzie will most likely comment soon though !

BB
Old 05-02-08, 07:33 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Last weekend I hit Kent, the Portage Chain (in northern Washtenaw County) and Crooked Lake in Brighton. Everybody caught fish on Kent, just not the size we are used to. There was a cold front though and the conditions were tough. I plan to try again this weekend.
It was my first time on the Portage Chain and the wind was whipping again so we went to one of the smaller side lakes and caught about 15-20 bass between the 2 of us in 2.5 hours. No bigguns though.
Crooked was typical, four pike and one bass in a couple of hours. Only one of the pike was a little over 30".
I am hoping to get into a 4 pounder this weekend on Kent, there are a lot of them out there, but there is another cold front coming through. Also from what I hear Lake Saint Clair is on fire!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 08:38 PM   #4
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

I've been hitting Lake Hudson but good and the bass are biting! So far, we've hauled in six bass in about four trips, one of which was 8 pounds and one was also 18". Both sow bellies...

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 05:28 PM   #5
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

i like that, have fished kent before, not often, we are from genesee county. didnt have a ton of luck, but sure would be better if someone gave us a hint as to where we should start and waht works best at the lake. the portage chain we have never tried. we dont get down far south as much as we would like, but we are going to try a few new ones out this year.

definitely gonna check out bishop lake, mac had huge reviews, and we tried late in season, not much, but really liked the look ofthe lake. we are big fans of fishing senkos and top waters. if those are good on any lakes you guys know, let me know.

ken
Old 05-04-08, 01:42 PM   #6
MIbasser

Ken, have you tried Sleepy Hollow yet? I hear that is really good for bass. I may try there this week if I have time. On another note I was on Lake St. Clair this past weekend and it was great. A little cold, a little windy and a little (a LOT) of rain but the fishing was really good all around. Good luck and keep us posted on where you go.

Andy
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 03:05 PM   #7
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

not really sure where sleepy hollow is at, but we try just about anything. we went out on lake nepessing today. was windy again, like every other day this spring so far, lol. not bad though, 7 keepers, handful of smaller ones. still not seeing alot of bedding around anywhere, thought by now should start seeing more areas than i've seen. oh well, supposed to be fishing, not looking for fish beds i guess, lol.

anybody ever wanna hook up on a sunday we are game to pick a close lake and learn if you know something, or help if you want to know about the lake. drop me a line.

ken
Old 05-04-08, 04:48 PM   #8
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Sunday as in 11th? I'm game if you wanna meet at Lake Hudson!

-Buzz

Anybody wants to meet down here as well, let me know...
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 08:28 PM   #9
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

dang buzz, sounds good, but that is a lil bit far, lol. would be willing to find something more centrally located sometume though.

ken
Old 05-04-08, 09:24 PM   #10
MIbasser

The lake name is actually Lake Ovid. 127N and Price Rd. about 6 miles south of M21. On the west side of Shiawassee county (it's actually in Clinton Co.)
Old 05-04-08, 11:40 PM   #11
Bender

I fished Lake Ovid last year in a small informal tournament. It is a great lake with lots of good areas. It is completely no wake though, which is good and bad. Bishop Lake is right around the corner from my house, a great little lake.
Not sure if I could get my boat in there, but probably. Chilson Impoundment is also really good if you have a jon boat or something. Don't waste your time at Appleton though.
Old 05-06-08, 09:21 PM   #12
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

now that i think about it, myself and wagabons went to bishop and ovid last year, very late in the season. loved the looks of ovid, but it was freezing and raining. no luck, but will probably go back again. bishop also looked good, i thought looked real good for springtime. may have to make a visit soon, to at least one of them.

bender had a great idea, and get some of us michigan guys together, maybe have a little outing one day. meet some new friends, and have a freindly lil competition. we tend to stay north a bit, oakland county, genesee, but willing to check out some other places as long as not really far.

lets see what we can do, sounds like fun to me.

ken
Old 05-13-08, 05:10 PM   #13
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

ok michigan fisherman, i am hoping to maybe hit lake oakland saturday, it is a nice lake to fish if you havent. if anyone thinks they may be out and about, reply, i can get you some directions if dont know where it is located.

ken
Old 05-13-08, 10:41 PM   #14
Bender

I have never fished that lake before but I'm headed up north to Grand Lake near Presque Isle in search of monster smallies for 5 days leaving tomorrow. Next time for sure.
Old 05-14-08, 09:05 PM   #15
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

good luck bender, have a good time, and save some for the amateurs, lol.

i know myself and wags will be heading up north soon, not decided yet, but due for a weekend away for sure. we will definitely be getting out around here now with the weather decent, and will try to post when were heading to oakland county for the day.

ken
Old 05-15-08, 08:28 AM   #16
MIbasser

Ken, would love to make it however I'm in a wedding this weekend. I don't really think I could miss that. On another note, I'm usually on Lake Lansing a coupel times a week around 6:00 for a couple of hours. Been doing okay, out there. Have fun and good luck this weekend!
Old 05-16-08, 09:51 PM   #17
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

ok guys, we will be launching aprox 6am tomorrow morning at lake oakland, if anyone would like to join us. wags drives a blue pick up, and we have a 12 foot aluminum boat, platforms inside. not alot of chance to miss our boat, lol, not many like ours.

just come on up and introduce yourself if you make it there, will hopefully have something good to post afterwards.

later, ken
Old 05-18-08, 07:25 AM   #18
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

lake oakland didnt happen, so we went to lake fenton in afternoon. it was pretty crappy out, still managed a couple keeper bass, 2 small pike and a few other smaller bass. not to bad, we are not the most loving wind fishermen. gonna head out to 7 lakes state park today in Holly, big 7 has always been a decent bass place, so what the heck. hopefully one of these days we can bring back something worth posting, maybe catch a mermaid or something, but if in genesee county, she will prolly be a broke and only have 3 teeth,lmao.

enjoy sunday everyone,
ken
Old 05-19-08, 06:53 PM   #19
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

didnt get on the water til after 9am, within 5 minutes, had my first keeper. went to Big 7 in the seven lakes state park, in Holly. what a nice place, been so long, i couldnt remember anything . 6 total fish and 5 of them keepers. been unusual this year, havent been catching much size at all. was fun this time though, only used 5" babybass colored senko in 20+mph winds, lol, so dumb. fished alot of areas we could hide from most of the wind, of course didnt work to well, lol. i love michigan and mutha nature knows it.

ken

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.