Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-06, 12:50 AM   #1
GorillaWarfare
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Clear Water Tips

Due to a lack of rain for the last few months almost all the lakes here in Northwest Arkansas are super clear. The night fishing has been pretty good but its been kind of tough during the day. I have finally caught fish on plastic worms (green pumpkin, been trying since I started last year) and a few on my good old xrap (silver). I wanted to know if anyone had any little secrets they would like to share for catching more fish in clear water. In the coves and near the points you can see the bottom in 15 ft+. As always thanks in advance.

NICK
GorillaWarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 02:33 AM   #2
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaWarfare
Due to a lack of rain for the last few months almost all the lakes here in Northwest Arkansas are super clear. The night fishing has been pretty good but its been kind of tough during the day. I have finally caught fish on plastic worms (green pumpkin, been trying since I started last year) and a few on my good old xrap (silver). I wanted to know if anyone had any little secrets they would like to share for catching more fish in clear water. In the coves and near the points you can see the bottom in 15 ft+. As always thanks in advance.

NICK
Step one: Downsize! Use the lightest line consistent with the cover (potential snags, etc.) and use either a pure fluorocarbon line or braid with a fluorocarbon leader.
I'd say a #10 pure fluoro will do the trick so long as the cover isn't heavy.

Step two: Downsize again! If wind and wave permit, I'd throw 4-5" worms on 1/16-1/8 bullets, 4" Tiki Sticks, rigged on a Gamakatsu 1/0 wacky hook or the same hook with the weed guard. Other good choices would be shaky rigs, YUM 2.5" craws on a tiny jig head or rigged on a #1 or #2 wide gap red hook.

Step three: Try translucent colors; watermelon/pepper, watermelon/red, smoke, etc, and maybe a pumpkinseed like a ZOOM Finesse worm in that color or the craw I mentioned in p'seed.

Topwater may pleasantly surprise you in these conditions.
I'd throw a small buzzbait in white, a Tiny Torpedo in clear or chrome/blueback. A clear Pop-R' might be good too.

1/8-small profile 1/4 oz. willow leaf spinner baits should produce if you can run them close to cover, even a small single stump or bush. I'd start with a brass main blade and a semi-transparent white/pearl/shad skirt, then add a few strands of chartreuse as I go.

Small cranks and lipless lures may be productive as well. Shad or brown crawdad colors would be my first choices.

All that being said...I'd start with the topwaters then rely on the small plastics.

Important: Be sure your reels are in top shape with full spools. In such conditions as you've described fish are going to be more wary. Long casts are a must in many such cases.
Also, try to position the boat so that the sun is in front of you or to your side. Don't silhouette yourself or cast a shadow.

Hope this helps.

FlyRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 10:06 AM   #3
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Well, not much else needs to be said, FlyRod, has covered the bases quite nicely. Take note at the end of his post, keep your equipment clean and ready, don't forget to check your drag when dropin down in line size, and if possible, skip the lippin and use a net, when landing bigger fish.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 10:20 AM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

try some drop shot rig on a downsized 4 inch red shad worm
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 12:47 PM   #5
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

down size and flourocarbon and use realistics baits match the hatch
Old 04-24-06, 05:35 PM   #6
zooker

which northern arkie lakes ?? i have contacts on a bunch pickwick,lee smith, gunttersvills..

zooker
Old 04-24-06, 06:39 PM   #7
GorillaWarfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
which northern arkie lakes ?? i have contacts on a bunch pickwick,lee smith, gunttersvills..

zooker
Never heard of those. I usually fish Beaver Lake (Bentonville/Rogers), Lake Windsor (Bella Vista), Loch Lomond (BV), Swepco (Gentry) and every once in a while Grand Lake (in Oklahoma). Where are those you mentioned located? Thanks a ton for the tips y'all!
Old 04-24-06, 07:02 PM   #8
Zach_BassFisherman

floating worm
Old 04-24-06, 09:01 PM   #9
fishin_dude

We are having the same problems here in Tennessee, plus the spawn in our part of the country had problems this year due to the extreme cold snap we had a few weeks ago and then all of the sudden the 90 degree temps. with no gradual build in temperature. Some bass are spawned out while others are beginning. I've mainly stuck with with plastic worms and jigs, but have landed a few on a little of everything. Give it a couple weeks, then the good fishing will begin again.
Old 04-25-06, 09:05 AM   #10
kickinbass54
BassFishin.Com Member

Default great tips

I have been fishing a clear lake in northern michigan and have been hamering them. I use a quarter once booyah spinner bait. I caught a four pound smallie yesterday!! I try to fan cast the area and if nothing hits i go to somthing called a kreature. U can get it at bass pro sports or somthing like gander mountain. Ive been smacking them.
kickinbass54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 06:22 PM   #11
zooker

doh!! my bad i have been on bama site to long.. there in northern bama..

zooker
Old 04-25-06, 07:07 PM   #12
GorillaWarfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
doh!! my bad i have been on bama site to long.. there in northern bama..

zooker
Ah I see...I was wondering if I was just that out of it or what...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.