Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-10, 10:16 AM   #1
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fluorocarbon

I've used various fluorocarbon lines in the past with mediocre results. I use P-Line CX on the majority of my reels now. I am about to finish up a dedicated Senko/Fluke rod and want to use fluoro. My plan is to try out Seaguar InvizX, mainly for its manageability.

A sensitive, low stretch line that sinks and has low memory is what I'm looking for. I realize that there isn't any one line that will have all those characteristics. The InvizX has very high stretch, that's the trade off for the low memory.

I am open to suggestions, what fluoro do you guys like?

Last edited by Jrob78; 06-16-10 at 10:23 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 11:48 AM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I really dislike most fluoro lines (actually, if I had a better choice I wouldn't use them at all).

But, this has my interest. A sinking braid! I'm thinking about picking some up for smallie fishing around here, as the water is not ultra clear (although I'm still not convinced I've ever found line shy fish anywhere).

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod....=266072&u=GTQS

I've also been looking at this:

http://www.hottackle.com/product_inf...oducts_id=5224
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 12:10 PM   #3
nmanley
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

I bought some Cabela's Fluro and used it for the first time last Friday. 15lb test on a couple baitcaster worming setups. It cast good and is much cheaper than other fluros. Someone hinted that it is made by Seagure. I use the InvizX 8 lb test for my leader on Drop shot and Shaky head rigs. I really like the InvizX line too. I'll stick to it for the small line and the Cabela's on larger stuff.
Old 06-16-10, 12:30 PM   #4
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I really dislike most fluoro lines (actually, if I had a better choice I wouldn't use them at all).

But, this has my interest. A sinking braid! I'm thinking about picking some up for smallie fishing around here, as the water is not ultra clear (although I'm still not convinced I've ever found line shy fish anywhere).

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod....=266072&u=GTQS

I've also been looking at this:

http://www.hottackle.com/product_inf...oducts_id=5224
Very interesting! I've never heard of sinking braid. I really like the properties of braid, i just need a sinking line for this application. I'm not sold on line shy fish either. Thanks for the links, this definitely warrants some research.
Old 06-16-10, 01:04 PM   #5
rodnreel

I use a little bit of everything. I really like BPS Fluorocarbon lines. Very little stretch and in my opinion is very manageable. Another brand I've tried out and really like so far is the Spiderwire 100% fluorocarbon. I think it's at about the same price point as the BPS and Seaguar. Although, if you want the best available, you could always pay $50 for a spool of Tatsu. It's expensive, but apparently it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Old 06-16-10, 01:48 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

IMO BPS line is very good! It's mix of all of them it does not sacrifice one for the other, it pretty much buts everything half way! So you get a line that has good sensitivity, good manageability, little stretch (this is coming from a guy that is VERY picky about the amount of stretch a line has), and great abrasion resistants. I have not used InvizX or AbrazX, but if it's going on a bait cast, I say get AbrazX. I hear it does not not have much memory, and is still a sensitive line.
Old 06-16-10, 01:57 PM   #7
islandbass

I'd stick with Invizx. This "stretchiness" does not affect its ability to transmit feedback to your hands nor the hook set. On the contrary, I think it saves more hook sets, especially if you're dealing with finesse and crank baits. You also get managability and limpness, which is a plus for spinning reels. Other fluoros practically jump off of the spool for spinning reels. This is not an issue for casting rods.

The other thing for me for Invizx is that my local shops carry it for less than $15 so that is even more incentive.
Old 06-16-10, 02:07 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Another vote for InvisX.

I haven't noticed too much stretch, and it still provides good hooksets for Senkos and t-rigs. InvisX had good sensitivity, and isn't too pricey compared to some other fluoros. Since I haven't tried AbrasX, InvisX is my choice when I use fluorocarbon.

BB
Old 06-16-10, 02:07 PM   #9
Kevin
Administrator

Just a quick note to everyone... As many of you know, I like both BPS XPS Fluoro and Seaguar's fluorocarbon lines.

I have always been a big fan of both Seaguar AbrazX and InvizX. However, recently, I've had tremendous breaking problems with AbrazX.

Usually I buy all my spools in 1000 or 3000 yd bulk spools. With these bigger spools, I haven't had a problem. However, I've been fishing out-of-state a lot these past couple weeks and travel with lots of 200 yd AbrazX and InvizX spools. At least a couple of the 200 yd AbrazX spools I recently purchased seem to be defective.

These defective spools have counted for about 7-8 break-offs in just the past 2 weeks. The line is breaking under "less-than-extreme" resistance and also splintering apart when 'bow-snapping' snags and such.

I have used AbrazX for quite awhile with good success, however, I seemed to be plagued recently with defective spools. I have a feeling something might be going awry at factory.

I haven't spoken to Seaguar about my recent defective spools.. but may in the near future. I'll be interested in purchasing a few more spools to see if I just happened to get very unlucky with the few 200 yd spools I had recently purchased.

I have not had any problems with my bulk spools.

I also have had no problems with InvizX, and am now recommending that line (InvizX) until I figure out why all these 200 yd spools I'm getting are seemingly defective.

Bass Pro's XPS Fluorocarbon is a great line (especially when on sale) and seems to be very consistent and reliable.

Just thought I'd share my recent experiences.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 02:11 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Interesting about the AbrasX Kevin. It could have possibly been bad batch or something, it does happen occasionally.

BB
Old 06-16-10, 04:58 PM   #11
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Ditto. I have quit using them. I rarely fish clear water though. Too much memory. Too expensive. If you bend the line or get the least little backlash it may and probably will break at that spot. No more fluoro for me until they improve it.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 05:10 PM   #12
walkeraviator

My buddy fishes tourneys, and he uses nothing but 15lb Big Game... when i asked him about flouro... he simply stated that he catches as much as teh next guy paying 3 times as much for line.... so why switch... i just decided i didnt like spending that much...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 05:17 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Kevin that is interesting about the Abrazx. I have been using it since it came out and never had any problems, but I have been using the bigger bulk spools like you mentioned. If you find anything out about why it is breaking I would appreciate it if you would let me know because I sure don't need to have this problem.

I have used BPS Flouro and found it to be very stiff and retain a lot of line memory, so I swore it off and went to Seaguar and haven't looked back since. It's pretty pricey but I think that Sunline makes a great flouro line, you might want to check it out too.
Old 06-16-10, 06:43 PM   #14
Jim80

I have switched completely over to Invizx , I was using triline 100% fluoro cor a while but went back to seaguar it's hard to beat

Jim
Old 06-16-10, 07:10 PM   #15
andyfender
BassFishin.Com Member

Why not use braid with a leader? You get the best of both worlds.
andyfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 07:18 PM   #16
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfender View Post
Why not use braid with a leader? You get the best of both worlds.
I use micro guides so knots aren't a good option, also it seems like dealing with leaders would be a pita.

I think I'm going to pick up some InvizX, everyone's comments have pretty much confirmed my initial impression. Thanks guys

Last edited by Jrob78; 06-16-10 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-17-10, 06:21 PM   #17
geezer1

I wish there was something about fluorocarbon that I truly like, but there's not. To me, it's fragile almost to the point of being frail, & it feels like straw on my reel. I fish a lot of super thick, heavy cover. It doesn't hold up at all for me. I can retie all day & still break off if I drag a hawg out of a brushpile, over and through laydowns, & around standing timber. I've had a few heartbreaking losses with this stuff during tournaments, it makes me angry just thinking about it. For fishing plastics, I use Mean Green Copolymer, usually 17 lb. I've pulled my share of hawgs out of the wood without a single line failure & I don't have to powder it's poo-pah every other cast. I don't know why it doesn't fail me like fluorocarbon, I just know that it doesn't. I'm not going to say I'll never use fluorocarbon again, but hell will probably be a lot cooler before I do.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.