Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-10, 01:32 PM   #1
ny7y3
BassFishin.Com Member

Default How long to spend on one bait

How long do you spend per lure when your not getting any hits before you switch it for something else?
ny7y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 01:41 PM   #2
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

There are so many different variables that you cannot put a time on something like that.

Sometimes 5 minutes tells you all you need to know, other times an hour will get you a few stumpers and lead you to that double digit beast...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 03:22 PM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Like screwball said, it is hard to put a time on it. If it is clear water and I can see them, then not too much. If I am working a rockpile or stickup, maybe more.
When you say per bait/lure it can mean a couple of different things. I may change bait color and keep the same presentation all day. (IE changing out drop shot colors) Or I may switch to an entirely different technique.

The only thing I will say is that my changes are less frequent as the day goes on. First thing in the morning when the bass are active, I may only give a bait 15-20 casts. By lunch time I am usually sticking to a single crank or plastic for an hour or so.
Old 06-15-10, 03:51 PM   #4
Raul

I donīt fish by the clock.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 04:07 PM   #5
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny7y3 View Post
How long do you spend per lure when your not getting any hits before you switch it for something else?
I'll fish a lure until I lose confidence in it. Might be one cast, might be hundreds.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 06:14 PM   #6
CamG

Like was stated...too many variables.

I switch it up probably more often than I should. That's the benefit of having multiple rods strung out. I have a set 5 lures that I start with on every trip and have confidence in them all.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 06:32 PM   #7
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I usually have 8-9 rods rigged for various situations that I think I will probably be wanting to exploit that day. Depending on conditions I'll spend anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour if I really believe a certain lure is going to work. But as I move around the lake I'm switching rods rather quickly determined by what I'm casting to and how I want to work over an area. Each form of cover has a best application, and so I'm going to zero in with "that" application for "that" form of cover or structure.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 06:39 PM   #8
bassinbob

I might give it 15 or so casts and then switch. If I move to another spot I'll do the same.
The only time I don't switch is when I am fishing pads with a toad or using one bait I want to get some time with. I also have multiple rods set up and ready to go. The only time I switch with a toad is when I get a big blowup. I'll bring the toad over the same spot three times and if no hits I try something different over the blowup spot.
Old 06-15-10, 08:02 PM   #9
nofearengineer

I'm with Keith.

I start my day with 8 rigs already set up, generally in a selection that will hopefully narrow it down; i.e, several colors, depths, sizes, etc.

I think there was some truth to what WTL said in another post, that is, the morning is when you are searching, and burning through different baits, looking for the flavor of the day. Hopefully, by lunch time, you've figured it out.
Old 06-15-10, 09:22 PM   #10
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I'm with Keith.

I start my day with 8 rigs already set up, generally in a selection that will hopefully narrow it down; i.e, several colors, depths, sizes, etc.

I think there was some truth to what WTL said in another post, that is, the morning is when you are searching, and burning through different baits, looking for the flavor of the day. Hopefully, by lunch time, you've figured it out.

Sometimes the flavor of the day shuts down at 10am...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 10:46 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I usually have 8-9 rods rigged for various situations that I think I will probably be wanting to exploit that day. Depending on conditions I'll spend anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour if I really believe a certain lure is going to work. But as I move around the lake I'm switching rods rather quickly determined by what I'm casting to and how I want to work over an area. Each form of cover has a best application, and so I'm going to zero in with "that" application for "that" form of cover or structure.

Yep-start with what I think will work and then rotate through them. There really isn't a set time-like many said, way too many variables to have a set time.
Old 06-16-10, 04:40 AM   #12
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Yep-start with what I think will work and then rotate through them. There really isn't a set time-like many said, way too many variables to have a set time.
This describes how I do it.
Old 06-16-10, 06:33 AM   #13
walkeraviator

this is also where having a buddy in the boat is helpful... you should be working different depths of teh water column and different speed, colors, sizes, etc. It makes finding the flavor of the day faster...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 08:58 AM   #14
Cavs1123

I spend 10 to 15 mnutes on each.
Old 06-17-10, 05:37 PM   #15
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I'll fish a lure until I lose confidence in it. Might be one cast, might be hundreds.
I'm like Bryan on this one.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 10:27 AM   #16
Snake2715

Here is the rule of thumb I am really starting to use.

in 15 minutes if I dont produce a fish, or some decent hits and misses...

I change. Now that doesnt mean I have to change the lure. Change the presention, speed, action, retreive, etc. Sometimes same lure different color.

I do that until I start to produce and then work that until I get a lull again. Then the process starts over.

15 minutes and adjust. That has really helped me get out of the lull of throwing alld ay and coming home with regrets.
Old 06-27-10, 08:26 AM   #17
HarveysMinnow

As others have pointed out, there are so many variables to deal with. Maybe that in itself is part of what makes Bass fishing so enjoyable. We go to the water with the expectation that on the very next cast, we're going to tie into a winner. And most of us keep that expectation throughout the day, cast after cast, because we know that sooner or later something is going to work. We all probably have favorites - lures we have more faith in - and those are the ones I usually try first. If they don't bring results, there's plenty more alternatives in the tackle box.

Try looking at things from Mr. Bass' perspective. Does that 'thing' that just hit the surface look appetizing? Is he even hungry? If not, are you going to be able to make him mad enough to strike after 40 or 50 casts? Bass may not 'think' in the same complex terms as humans, but they have instincts and preferences, and who's to say that their preferences don't change from day to day. One thing is certain: Bass are a fickle lot, and if any one bait or technique was proven to consistently out-produce all others, then every fisherman would be using that exclusively. When you look at it that way, all the tackle manufacturers should be thanking the Bass for being so wary and unpredictible.

so, just remember...
Old 06-27-10, 09:03 AM   #18
bamabassman

i will have to agree with just about everyones point of view.....too many variables really. favorite baits and presentations are what makes us change baits and also the way we present them. we might be using a certain bait and after a while, use another. but them we (well i do this sometimes)will look at what we were using and remember to try it differently. pick it bak up and try again, in a different way. like nofear and most others here, i have 7-9 rods rigged with things i think (or HOPE anyway,lol) will narrow things down a bit. time on the water will dictate what we have faith in using. and therefore what we rig up to start the day with.
Old 06-27-10, 09:18 AM   #19
Bassboss

Well, most of time I'll change colors before I change lures completely. Usually, it'll take half hour or so, before I have the feeling to change. It's almost a learned gut feeling, you'll know when you need to change. If I don't get bit on a few colors, I'll change lures. For example if I'm catching them on worms, for a while, and then they stop, I'll change over to a creature bait, or a jig. If I start catching them on TW early in the morning, and than the sun gets a little and I stop getting hit on the TW, I'll change to a spinnerbait. It's not a drastic change, but sometimes it's enough to get hit!

The reason I only make gradual changes, if because I was doing something right before, so I don't wanna change my presentation all they way!

See what I'm saying?
Old 07-03-10, 06:06 PM   #20
Ebbetsguy

Since on most days, on a given body of water there are usually a few patterns going on. Some of those patterns will produce better fish than others, then sunlight or weather changes and so do the patterns.
I find one of the most frustrating things about this sport is to have a few rigs set up, spend some time , nail the pattern I am comfortable with and then the fish change up , which is why they call it fishing and not catching!
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 01:09 PM   #21
ted48
BassFishin.Com Member

Give the bait a fair chance in cover it was designed for and then change. Alwasy remember the Bass dont read the atricles you read or see the Videos. Let the Bass tell you what they want and you will be more successful.
ted48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 01:24 PM   #22
BassFeverJohn

I tell ya, I have been getting very impatient lately. I have started going over an area twice then switching up retrieves, colors, and it that doesn't work I switch out baits. With three rods it is easy to go back and forth easily from worms to cranks etc..
Old 07-04-10, 01:37 PM   #23
Jrob78

Like others have said, I normally get all my rods rigged up with the baits I want to start with on a given day. Those vary depending on the conditions and where I am fishing. I am definitely guilty of not having enough patience and not sticking with a given bait long enough.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.