Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-08, 05:57 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Steel Toe Boots

I'm required to wear steel toe boots at work. No metatarcles, just regular steel toe boots. I've had both Redwings and Wolverine Durashocksin the past 20 years. I liked them both and both held up very well. The Durashocks were probably the most comfortable of the two. Well, after 3 years with this last pair of Durashocks, it's time to buy another pair of boots. But before I do I thought I would see if anyone in here also wears steel toe boots day in day out at work, and do you recommend any in particular that are comfortable and well made? I work on cement all day and don't have the best feet around. I have a bad knee, and my arches are pretty flat. So comfort is very important to me. They also need to be ANSI certified. I'm also looking for anti slip soles. Any boots you'd recommend?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 06:15 PM   #2
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I wear steel toe day in day out because I prefer em over reg. boots. Im a clutz and drop things on my feet all the time. I have a pair of bramaha's from wally world that are a year and half old. the soles are falling apart because I wear them all the time, you rarely see me in sneakers. Im looking into getting a pair of Redwings as I hear they are good boots, but after hearing about you liking the dura shocks, I may check them out.
Old 05-31-08, 07:00 PM   #3
zooker

stick with the dura shocks.. i wear and oxford during the summer as they are cooler 8" in the colder months..

i refuse to wear a steel toe where i work. everything i may drop on them will flatten a steel toe like it was not there..steel toes broke my big toe in 3 places when i dropped a timber on it..ok so it was a 300 pound timber... the ansi certified steel toe boots are only require to pass a 75 pound drop test...i wear size 17 EEE work boot i wear irish setters my self. basicly i need a tough boot that with stands cement and is water proof as i wade around in mud alot.-i get paid to play in the mud- just because i drive a tow moter don't mean i ride around on it all the time.

zooker
Old 05-31-08, 08:02 PM   #4
keithdog

17EEE Zooker? Now THATS a big boot my friend.
Old 05-31-08, 08:19 PM   #5
bamabassman

zooker those ain't boots man...they're ski shoes, lmao. man what a foot. keothdog, i used to wear only leighigh boots. don't know where they may be in your area. to me they were the best fitting, comfortable boots around then. never a break in time either. leigh high is the name.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 09:19 PM   #6
keithdog

I'll try looking them up online bama. Thanks
Old 05-31-08, 09:25 PM   #7
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Henry Survivors are great boots, wear 'em a ton. Not sure if they make steel toe, but mine are over two years old, still goin' strong.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 01:56 AM   #8
1/4 stick

size 17 EEE???? Holy crap! Hang a couple outboards off the back of those sneakers and we got us a party barge. And to think people talk trash about my 11's.
1/4 stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 06:25 PM   #9
WTL

I had to wear them when I worked at recieving a couple years back. What I can tell you is what doesnt work - I got he cheapest walmart had. And because I was so poor at the time, I made them into my everyday shoes.

After 4 months of wearing them, every bone in my feet felt as if they were fractured, day in day out. So I went back to regular shoes. I had quit the job months before. Sears Holding company can still kiss my *** by the way.
Old 06-01-08, 07:03 PM   #10
Jim80

damn wtl i work for sears holding but do agree that they suck . when i was in the machine shop we had a uniform company called cintas and i got a pair of steel toed boots from them
they fit and felt like sneakers but cost me like a $120 , but i wore them for two and a half years and they were great , if you guys got a uniform company see what they offer .
Old 06-01-08, 07:13 PM   #11
WTL

Jim, I got out of there 2 years back right before thanksgiving - all but two of the guys in recieving had quit - I wasnt about to have all that work to do on thanksgiving for a f$*$ 6.75 an hour. What I saw when I was there was the very worst of corporate exploitation - every single worker there was expendable and treated as such. I wrote I think the longest, most damning 2 week notice they had ever seen in the recieving department (i just hope my boss was literate, I'm not sure that he was) and gave a copy personally to the manager as well with the headline "this is a sinking ship". But she was in on it too, Sears as a company is in trouble cause the business model is no longer really that viable. Their property is probably worth more than the going concern itself. Besides, I had a degree - it was just a job in the meantime to keep me in tuscaloosa - I was unlike most of the guys they filled that position with.

Sorry for the hijacking.
Old 06-01-08, 07:17 PM   #12
Jim80

i hear ya ,i sell appliances and it pays me well enough to live a comfortable life so i'm
there for now
Old 06-01-08, 07:56 PM   #13
WTL

Selling appliances on the floor wasnt near as bad as working recieving. I had so many - I can think of one right now who was in electronics - who told me explicitly they were sorry for what we had to go through. We didnt even have a forklift. Moving refirigerators and ranges and stuff with dollys all day.
Old 06-01-08, 08:08 PM   #14
Jim80

i'm on the kmart side of the company in my store i'm the only department that is sears , when we get deliveries i have to leave the sales floor to unload the truck in a suit none the less and load all the merchandise in the customers cars .. and i was only hired as a salesman yeah imo the company sucks major a** but it's a living for the time being .
Old 06-02-08, 08:26 AM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't wear them much, except working outside or at the house, but I've got a pair of Dickies boots. I like 'em, but don't know how long they'd last using them everyday. My dad wears Redwings, has for a long time, but not steel toes.

BB
Old 06-02-08, 09:51 PM   #16
keithdog

I used to wear Redwings, and there isn't another boot in my opinion that will last longer and hold up better. However, I found the Wolverine Durashocks to be more comfortable. The Wolverines last about two years for me. The only trouble is they kill my feet untill they are broken in which takes a while I've found. Once they are broken in they feel good. But that breaking in period leaves me hobbling around by the end of the day like an old man. So I'm looking for durability, and comfort with a short break in period.
Old 06-04-08, 12:56 PM   #17
scbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to scbassman

i have to wear steel toes at my job and i usually get them off of the redwing truck that comes to the plant. they arent the redwing brand but the works brand spelled worx. they have some that are very comfortable and will last several years too i still have my newest pair in the box havent worn them yet.
scbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 01:13 PM   #18
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

CAT Boots.... The Best! Very comfortable.... I could were 'em all day

-stevo
Old 06-04-08, 05:11 PM   #19
bamabassman

now i have heard that cat boots are good ones. did you ever get anything on leigh high? just courious, might want to get me a pair as well.
Old 06-04-08, 07:01 PM   #20
keithdog

I went to the website for LeHigh boots bama, and checked them out. I sent them an email sunday requesting answers to a couple questions but they have not replied. Guess I'll have to call them. They look like nice boots though.
Old 06-04-08, 11:25 PM   #21
bamabassman

ok, great. thanks pal.
Old 06-07-08, 12:37 AM   #22
keithdog

Ok Bama, I ordered my boots from LeHigh. They are the model 5333. They are currently on backorder untill june 20th, so it will be a while before I can give you a review of those boots firsthand. But when they do arrive I'll let you know what I think. You can see them at the LeHigh website. They are in the no slip, slip grips section.
Old 06-08-08, 10:01 PM   #23
bamabassman

great! i just hope that they haven't changed keithdog. hope that you like em too.
Old 07-07-08, 08:30 PM   #24
keithdog

Finally got my steel toe boots a week ago. I ended up buying a pair of boots from LeHigh called Slipgrips. Model 5333. Slip resistant, steel toe and ANSI approved. Thought I would let you guys know that they are exactly as Bamabassman had told me they would be. Very well made, and very comfortable. Practically no break in time. If your looking for some steel toe boots, I highly recommend them. Thanks Bama!
Old 07-07-08, 08:41 PM   #25
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
size 17 EEE???? Holy crap! Hang a couple outboards off the back of those sneakers and we got us a party barge. And to think people talk trash about my 11's.
ha..people talk trash about your 11's and what do you think i get with 10.5 's at 16 y/o lol .. of course that'll go away after a while i guess

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.