Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-09, 11:45 PM   #1
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default TM woes

Well I got to the Saranac Lake area of NY and dropped the boat in. Right off the bat the TM felt like it was running funny, kind of like an out of balance prop. After 5 minutes of it running weak it quit completely. This is a MK Maxxum 70/SC, so no digital board. The switch is OK since it will not run on cont. either. Also I made sure the batteries are 100% charger amd checked them by using a second charger that read the same. Circuit breaker is also ON. Any ideas? Hopefull I will get the pedal apart tomorrow but I didn't see anything bad.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 06:33 AM   #2
1FASTLASER

Hey Bender. Check and see how the motor rotates. Does it do it fairly freely or have a slight drag to it. The out of balance statement by you makes me think that maybe one of the bearings may have gone out ......hopefully it didnt short out the armature.
Old 08-05-09, 09:27 AM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

When you say out of balance...does it actually have a wobble to it? Or does it seem like it's only getting power to the prop for part of its revolution?
Old 08-05-09, 11:50 AM   #4
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

the last one that quit completely on me had water in it but it didn't wobble before it quit.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 09:28 AM   #5
Bender

I usually keep a full toolkit in my truck but didn't pack it this time since I was going through Canada amd I have years of immigration problems.

Anyway I tried to check everything I could but see nothing obvious. When it felt out of balance it was just down on power and kind of made a little vibration. I'll check everything with a meter when I get home tomorrow, hopefully it's not dead.

I did manage to fish a little just using a drift sock and caught some nice smallies.
Old 08-07-09, 01:26 AM   #6
Bender

Finally got home and took it all apart. Found the plastic part that holds the brushes melted so that the brushes couldn't move. Also found a ton of fishing line on the shaft. Hopefully my local MK service center has the brush kit.

Old 08-07-09, 01:54 AM   #7
nofearengineer

Ouch...I feel that pain, Bender.

You know, all of the fishing line on the shaft might have been a contributing factor to the brush meltdown. Anybody who fishes with me knows I pcik up any stray fishing line I find in the water, even if it's not mine. It may be my motor I am saving someday.

Hope you get her running again soon. Congrats on making lemonade and catching those smallies.
Old 08-07-09, 02:34 AM   #8
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Ouch...I feel that pain, Bender.

You know, all of the fishing line on the shaft might have been a contributing factor to the brush meltdown. Anybody who fishes with me knows I pcik up any stray fishing line I find in the water, even if it's not mine. It may be my motor I am saving someday.

Hope you get her running again soon. Congrats on making lemonade and catching those smallies.
Me too. 2 weeks ago my dad watched in disbelief as I pulled a basketball sized wad of trotline out of the water and threw it in my bildge just to get it out of the lake. We all should do our part.
Old 08-07-09, 10:38 AM   #9
Bender

I always pick up any trash and line that is floating around or that I can reach too and stuff it in my cooler, try to leave the lake a better place than I find it. I guess this time I was picking up line that I couldn't see too. I better pull the big prop and check it too.

Edit:Got new brushes and the plastic holder and it is working again. My local place didn't have a kit with all the seals so I will get that ordered online and do a full rebuild of the lower part and should be good to go for a long time.

Last edited by Bender; 08-07-09 at 07:20 PM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.