Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-09, 12:45 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Depth finder info needed.

Believe it or not, I've been fishing without the aid of a depth finder for 28 years. It's just been me, the jon boat and old fashioned figurin it out. I'm tired of fishin "blind" so I plan on buying a depth finder this comming spring for my jon boat. Nothing fancy or expensive. My 12 ft jon boat is powered by an electric trolling motor so I'm not going to be jet setting around the lake. The last two depth finders I did have were the old flasher units. Needless to say, things have changed a lot since those days. I've been looking at several models from both Eagle and Hummingbird that sell for less than $230.00. The main question I have is this...what is the advantages of a color display over a monochrome display? What will color tell you that monochrome won't? Also, being I am going to be using the depthfinder on a jon boat, how would you best suggest mounting the transducer? Using a trolling motor bracket or a transom mount? Thanks for any suggestion you might have!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 01:58 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am not sure the best way to mount it, for some reason I never considered a trolling motor mount on my little boat. I might just do that, good idea. Then you can take it out with the TM.
I think the color ones make it easier to see things like the hardness of the bottom. You can see where it changes from rock to sand/mud. Plus they are pretty easy to see, maybe easier in the sunlight. I think in that situation I would opt for a higher end monochrome one than a low end color one, but it would be a close call.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 07:57 AM   #3
keithdog

I'm assuming the color versions use different colors for certain items on the screen, such as green for weeds, brown for the muddy bottoms, another color for rock, and so on. Is that right? And do all manufacturers utilize the same colors for the same screen features?
Old 11-19-09, 08:55 AM   #4
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'd suggest, whether color or not, that you look at the cone within a cone type of wide angle (60 degree) finders. Much easier to spot particular stumps, rocks etc. simply because of the wide angle. I used to have a Humminbird 535 I think the model was....anyhow it was wide and very helpful. Now that I've planted clusters of fish attractors, it would be much better for finding those. I've also found the hand held Garmin Etrex GPS to be a huge asset in locating as well.....it ran around 89 dollars. Really accurate....great for humps, spots on spots, etc.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 10:49 AM   #5
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

With Lowrance you have many choices of color schemes, and I think with Humminbird too. I do believe that the color schemes are different with each brand. And yes, the colors change depending on bottom density. It helps where rocky points extend into the lake, I'm not sure how well things like roadbeds show up. On the monochrome ones they have a "grayline".
Here's a Lowrance tutorial about how their sonars work: http://www.lowrance.com/Support/Tips...onar-Tutorial/
And if you really want to play around with them you can download a fully functioning Emulator: www.lowrance.com/Downloads/Product-Emulators/

Also here is some information about the Humminbird multi-beam sonars: http://www.humminbird.com/leading_in...ird-sonar.aspx

Personally I have had great customer support from Lowrance but that was because I had a lot of problems and had to use it a lot. I only have one Humminbird and I have had no problems with it.

With all the technology I still use them mainly for finding depth. Fish sitting on the bottom are had to see and most of the fish that show up really nice like in the displays are suspending and are not bass or I can't catch them.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 08:01 PM   #6
keithdog

Thanks Bender for the links. My plan is as yours. I plan to use it mainly to get a more accurate picture of the lakes bottom contours, weedbeds, and so forth. Not planning to run around looking for fish, other than schools of bait fish. Just not sure how I'll know the diff between schools of baitfish, and schools of larger fish.
Old 11-21-09, 12:10 PM   #7
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'd go with a transom mount if you have a trailer for the boat because transducers can get pretty bunged up on the bottom of a TM. Also, if you add an outboard in the future or decide to paddle or anchor up with the TM up, you won't have the transducer in the water if it's on the TM. On the other hand, if you haul the boat in the back of the Pickup you may want to put it on the TM so it wont get banged up dragging the boat in and out of the pickup or up and down the bank because if you mount on the transom, the transducer has to be mounted a little below or flush with the transom to work properly.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-09, 01:45 AM   #8
Rebbasser

Keith, the next depthfinder I get will be color-I have a color GPS and it is easier to see than monochrome, but monochrome works fine.

As far as transducer mount, I'd do a TM mount. You are probably sitting where you have the TM within easy reach, so by mounting it on the TM it well be closest to where you are sitting/fishing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.