Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-09, 06:50 AM   #1
Roland
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Cold wx storage

Hi Guys...

I just picked up a new party barge last saturday and took her out first thing sunday morning... It was great.. first boat and can't figure out why I waited til I was in my 50's to do this. ( well yes I can, child, college tuition, etc. ) but now our son is out on his own so his mother and I decided to bite the bullet. We bought a 2010 Bennington 20 SFi. Obviously we're not going to set any speed records on a pontoon ( 75 yamaha 4 stroke ) boat, but it sure is comfortable to ride around the lake on, and even to fish off of, although we didn't get a bite. So here's my question, right now I have the boat parked in my driveway next to my garage. Boat has a cover on it protecting the inside of the boat. I've been considering taking it to one of these boat storeage places but that brings up a couple of issues. Most of the "enclosed" boat storeage places around here want between 125 to 150 a month rental. While that may not be terrible, it's alittle more than what I want to pay just to park a boat. I did find a place that is 85 a month, but not "completely" enclosed. It's almost like a small airplane hanger with 3 walls and a top, one side open all the time. That seems to be all I need in that it would keep the boat out of the rain and out of the sun in the summer. It's not climate controlled so whatever the temp is outside, that's pretty much going to be the temp in the boat storeage. My question is do I need to put it in storeage? If so is the open ended hanger good enough or do I really need to put it in a completely enclosed building, or is parking it in my drive ok? Never owned even a row boat before this past weekend so I'm completely out of my element here and could sure use some expert advice. By the way, the boat is really sweet.. got some pics on the digital camera, if I can figure out how to get them here I'd like to get your opinions. Thank you guys for your help. by the way, with regard to storeage and our climate, I'm located in the northwest corner of Louisiana. Coldest it gets is around 25, mostly in the mid to lower 30's for the most part. Thanks again..

Roland
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 12:09 PM   #2
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well, like you, I just got my first boat in June. Here's how I'm 'storing' mine (and I'm in the northeast with real winter):
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=22083
I don't think you absolutely need to shrink wrap as long as it is covered really well to protect from both sun and rain (and in my case, snow). If it's well covered, you don't need to spend big $ for covered storage.

footnote: When I was looking around at used boats I was amazed at how many I found that were in such poor shape due to weather. Many owners don't seem to realize (or care) how much sun and rain can damage a boat interior. On the flip side, many boats really aren't actually used that much - mine is 7 years old but looks brand new because the previous owner took care of it. I intend to do the same.

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 11-19-09 at 03:49 PM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-09, 11:49 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Just make sure your motor is in the all the way down position. Drain the gas tank, and add lower unit lube. You should be good..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.