Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-09, 01:19 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Depth Finder choice

This is a follow up to an earlier post. I'm buying a depth finder this spring for my 12 foot jonboat. Nothing fancey. The boat is powered by a 55# thrust trolling motor so I'm not zooming around the lake. I don't need a GPS feature either as my lakes are fairly small and easy to remember. Not wanting to spend over $350.00. I'm going to use it more for identifying lake bottom contours and features along with schools of baitfish. What would be your choice in a depth finder to cover my needs? There seems to be a few of them out there that would do the job. The last depth finder I owned I bought way back in 1979. Things have changed a bit since then. Knowing which units have proven to be trouble plagued and NOT recommended would be good to know too. Thanks for your help guys. And Happy New Years to you all.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 03:59 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01

Keith,
You should take a good long look at the Eagle Fishmark 480 and the Lowrance X135. The 480 has the same features as the X135 for a little less money but both are around your price range. I normally wouldn't suggest anything from Lowrance because of the problems I have had with their customer service but for the price these are about as good as it gets. I have the X135 on the bow of my Ranger and it does a great job of showing what the bottom is made up of (soft or hard, rock or sand ect). It also does a great job of showing schools of baitfish, and when set up correctly you can see your bait on it when dropshotting which is a feature I was wanting when I bought it. Most graphs will do this as long as they have enough pixels and both the X135 and the Fishmark 480 have 480 by 480 megapixels which is more than enough for what you are going to be asking out of the graph.
Old 12-31-09, 04:25 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Keith,

I have a Fishmark 480 on my rig, and like Kory says, it would be a Cadillac unit for a small boat.

I am also going to be looking to sell my helm fishfinder, an X37TX, in the Spring. It's not really that good, but the price will definitely be right. It might find a good home on someone's small lake boat.
Old 12-31-09, 07:17 PM   #4
keithdog

I'll be sure to check that Fishmark 480 out. Three other units I want to take a look at are the Hummingbird 586C and 728. Also the Garmin 300C. I've heard Hummingbirds customer service is very good.
Old 01-01-10, 05:47 PM   #5
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I want to take a look at are the Hummingbird 586C and 728. I've heard Hummingbirds customer service is very good.
Good choice. Yep their service reputation are good. Lowrance is another story.

Good luck with your option. I'm looking for a new one to replace for my boat as well, leaning toward bird 788ci.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 06:32 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'll be sure to check that Fishmark 480 out. Three other units I want to take a look at are the Hummingbird 586C and 728. Also the Garmin 300C. I've heard Hummingbirds customer service is very good.
Humminbirds customer service is awesome! I had a transducer go bad while I was pre-fishing for a tournament, and I needed it replaced and fast. I called them and told them my situation and the next day it arrived at my house at no charge to me. I don't know anything about any of their other models besides the side imaging models so I can't give my opinion on any of the models you mentioned but as far as customer service goes they beat Lowrance hands down, that is why I hardly ever mention Lowrance to anyone who is asking for opinions. But like I said I don't think you can go wrong with the Fishmark 480 for the money. Good luck with whatever you decide on and spend hours reading the manual, then after you know the manual inside out you will need to spend hours playing with the graph on the water to get really good at reading it.
Old 01-02-10, 01:40 AM   #7
keithdog

Thanks Carolina. And I DO plan to spend plenty of time just working the dpthfinder around a couple lakes learning it inside out, and hopefully learning the lakes as well.
Old 01-02-10, 06:54 PM   #8
keithdog

Just got the 2010 Cabelas fishing catalog and found two fishfinders that I think might be the bees knees. One is the Lowrance Mark 5X Pro for 200.00 and the other is the Hummingbird model 570 Sonar. They both look great from what I can see. They dont have the GPS or Mapping but I don't need those things. However the specs look good on both.
Old 01-03-10, 12:26 AM   #9
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

We gave you our opinion. Whatever you pick then congratulation. *applauding*
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.