Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-05, 08:20 AM   #1
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Trailing a Second Lure.....

It's an old trick, but a good one. When using a buzzbait, tie a line on the back bend of the hook and a foot to a foot and a half, tie on a second lure, such as a medium to small rapala minnow, a small hair jig, a weighted junior sized fluke......something which in effect, chases the buzzbait.

One fellow I know ties on a Rat L Trap lure so you have the buzzing blade on top and the wiggling pulser running underneath.

Another variation, is to use a goodly sized Heddon Torpedo.....then on the back hook, tie a small jig type lure.....when you pull the bait to activate the propeller and pause to let the lure rest, the jig lure such as a leadhead and grub will swing down under the torpedo and into the following bass's face. Again, about a foot to a foot and a half seems to work well.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-05, 10:48 AM   #2
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

all my buzzbaits and spinnerbaits were stolen a week ago and i just ordered some off ebay last night.the rattle trap works better,also try a spinnerbait.just experiment a little
Old 09-18-05, 12:01 PM   #3
Rodman_Rob

mac, any suggestions on how to avoid the lines getting all tangled. I've expiermented using buzzbaits with other lures tied to the back and even, spinnerbaits with them tied to the back, and crankbaits with something else tied to the back. Almost every combination ends up with the extra line/lure wrapping around the buzzbait or whatever I use for the lead lure. Just a tangled mess 4 times out of 5 ......obviously ruining the action of the baits.
Old 09-18-05, 12:05 PM   #4
KH.

i would use a swivel in the middle,more work but you wont get them tangled even though that hasnt happened to me
Old 09-18-05, 11:54 PM   #5
crhye250r
BassFishin.Com Member

Two avoid the two becoming tangled as badly, use a longer steady sweeping type cast w/ constant pressure on the line, rather than a quicker, snap type cast. Should help alot. Think of casting a carolina rig.
crhye250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-05, 08:18 PM   #6
Mac1

good post crhye...... feathering the cast keeps the second lure in the proper position.....

Another solution....instead of using line......cut the buzzbait wire just in front of the leadhead......start a little curl on the end of the wire and then slide on a split ring.....finish the curl making a closed eye holding the split ring....now, add a wide nosed lipless crankbait such as a Frenzy to the split ring....you have the same type lure, only few tangles if any....
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-05, 06:24 AM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good post guys. I've watched a guy in a tournament tie 2 pop-r's back to back, porbably 6" apart so if they missed the first one they got the secong one. It's worked great popping simultaneously, but unfortunately I didn't see him catch any fish on it. But I did think it was a very good idea, and very cool. I'm just guessing here, since I don't know, but adding a split ring to the eye of the rear trebble seems like a good way to tie them together, and really not bother the action of the first lure, when you are following something with a trebble hook.

chrye250r,

That particular cast also is needed when using a variation of the drop shot I like, which is a PNJ, and a small fluke used in the drop shot position. If you don't use this casting technique and you're using a baitcaster, backlash heaven.

Lizards
Old 09-20-05, 08:02 AM   #8
H2O

I read these kind tricks on an old book, forgot the book name, sth. like " 101 fishing knots". There were a lot of two lures or baits combination, and they can work in two different levels too. It sounds very effective, however, I did try these stuff when fishing were slow couples times. I tied the second lure directly on the split ring of the first lure. All I needed was just smooth side casting. It worked well. However, I don't know why, but never catch fish on the second lure. So I gave up these kind setup.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-05, 01:08 AM   #9
crhye250r
BassFishin.Com Member

Catching fish on the first lure is usually a good sign. Seems the fish are more active if they are hitting the first rather than the trailing, provided that both baits can be productive when fished alone. I don't fish this style for largemouth, but for stripers, this rig can be deadly when trolling.
crhye250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.