Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-10, 10:37 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Exclamation Take heed gang!!

ok, now as we ALL know it has been extra hot this summer. and we all know to take it as easy as possible out there. BUT take it from me, LISTEN AND LEARN from this little experience of mine.
i work outside as most of you know. at this time of year we pave the streets in the city i work for. last week we finished a street and were cleaning up the curbs and gutters. no we didn't use the 70,000.00 dollar street sweeper that was bought over 10 years ago. it hasn't been cranked up since they brought into the storage building from what i know of. we are out there in 100 plus heat with PUSH broom (1) and shovels (2) sweeping the streets curbs and gutters manually. smart boss huh?
anyway, i was first with the broom, i sweep for 2 hours, start sweating like a pig in sticks shed. start getting dizzy and stop. i sat down and that was it. almost passed out. drank water and got in the foremans truck and we head to the fire station to check my blood pressure. i am on meds for my blood pressure. it runs around 120 over 70, but 45 mins AFTER i got dizzy it was still 170 over 90 i was VERY close to a stroke or heart attack when i sat down on the curb. later in the week, i got to feeling dizzy again, heart racing again. i go straight to my doctor and get an EKG. no bad signs. monday i had a stress test. today i got the results, A-OK!
now i ain't telling this story to get all kinds of "glad you are ok" or nothing alright? i am wanting to tell you guys out there that work in the heat ANYTIME to TAKE NOTE of the heat ok? take precautions whe oyu are out there mowing, working or whatever you do outside. EVEN FISHING! this is SERIOUS HEAT gang. this gave me a scare gang. haha, as old as i may sound or think, i am too young ot go out like this. and so are YA'LL!

P.S. kevin get in otuch with me ASAP!
P.P.S. lash, i am waiting on oyu too.
Old 08-05-10, 01:39 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01

Well whether you are looking for it or not, I am glad you are ok. And you are right, heat is serious and especially the heat we have had lately. I work in it for 12 hours at a time and drink water like it's going out of style, but there are still times when I start feeling kinda weird and have to head to some ac for a few.
Old 08-05-10, 02:54 AM   #3
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Well whether you are looking for it or not, I am glad you are ok. And you are right, heat is serious and especially the heat we have had lately. I work in it for 12 hours at a time and drink water like it's going out of style, but there are still times when I start feeling kinda weird and have to head to some ac for a few.
I second that. Is that boss of yours on drugs? What he buy that thing for? Tax write-off?
Old 08-05-10, 09:02 AM   #4
Bassboss

Yup! I've been there once. Sucks! Glad you're ok though bama.

Heat is hot! AND WHAT WAS YER BOSS THINKIN?!?!
Old 08-05-10, 11:07 AM   #5
Abbeysdad

Well Bama, good thing you sat down before you fell down!
Glad to here yer okay
And the trouble with extremes both heat exhaustion and hypothermia is by the time you think you might be in trouble, it can often be too late. Real important to stay hydrated...as my friend Tommy always says "Thirst is a dangerous thing".
Old 08-05-10, 04:16 PM   #6
WTL

Glad you're ok, lol. How much longer you got on that chain gang?

Its a really important message that doesnt get said enough. Heat has a funny way of striking people down at different times, you say well I survived this day and it was 101, I should be ok for 2 weeks later when its just 99 - but it doesnt work that way...
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 04:52 PM   #7
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You should be drinking fluids until you have to pee about every 30 minutes. That's a LOT of water and Gatorade. Heat and heat exhaustion will mess you up!
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 07:54 PM   #8
Bob Smith

Great advice, John! Even when you are there fishing in the daytime! Glad you're ok, Bubba!

Now you and Lisa meet me and my neighbor up there at the public ramp across from the water pump station tomorrow evening around 9 PM and we'll show you where we have been fishing, and catching those pigs.
Old 08-05-10, 10:22 PM   #9
bamabassman

well bob, lisa is heading to mobile tomorrow for a birthday party for her great neice. and i have to try to get some more work done on my shop so i can fish this fall. we will meet as soon as i can get the shop finished. i got LOTS of catching up to do on my fishing. haha, notice i said on the FISHING.......not CATCHING. HAHAHA. BESIDES, I AIN'T GOT NO LIGHTS RIGGED UP ON MY RIG. OR DO YA'LL JUST USE THE STANDARD LIGHTS ALREADY ON YOUR RIGS?
Old 08-06-10, 08:14 PM   #10
keithdog

So now John, what your really tryin to tell me is that I should be puttin a wet bar in my jonboat? Have I got that right??? hahaha
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 09:28 PM   #11
BlueDaksi
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yup! Be careful out there - Glad you're ok bamabassman. As I was outdoors around the lake today with a max temp of 81 degrees up here in Western NY, I forgot about folks suffering in the heat in more southern climes. The beautiful summer weather up here almost makes up for the long snowy winters...
Old 08-06-10, 10:01 PM   #12
Cavs1123

Yup John. I drink my gatorade until i have to pee every 30-60 mins. DO THE SAME! Glad your ok
Old 08-08-10, 08:49 PM   #13
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well bob, lisa is heading to mobile tomorrow for a birthday party for her great neice. and i have to try to get some more work done on my shop so i can fish this fall. we will meet as soon as i can get the shop finished. i got LOTS of catching up to do on my fishing. haha, notice i said on the FISHING.......not CATCHING. HAHAHA. BESIDES, I AIN'T GOT NO LIGHTS RIGGED UP ON MY RIG. OR DO YA'LL JUST USE THE STANDARD LIGHTS ALREADY ON YOUR RIGS?
Ya didn't miss anythign this weekend, John. The bite was non existant on the upper end. The 'drilla has finally consumed the pads and it was impossible to effectively work the spinner bait. Time to head to the south end of the lake and fish the river ledges and row humps.

John, other than your running lights, we don't get fancy and we don't use flourescent line. I use the same braid I use during the daylight and feel my bait. Casting on G'ville is easy since there aren't any trees or vertical obstructions. We fish by graph and keep the bait on the structure.
Old 08-08-10, 09:17 PM   #14
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Good advice about the heat.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 10:49 PM   #15
bamabassman

ok, thanks bob.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.