Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-11, 12:48 PM   #1
SaminVa
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default HUmminbird 798cSI ?

Do you have to buy an additional converting unit with these(h-bird 798) like you have to with the lowrance models?
Can you mount the transducer to the trolling motor? Trying to become educated on these.. looking into one this year for my boat. Trying to get the pros & cons.. H-bird Vs. Lowrance... not intrested in spending 2500 either.. maybe 800-1000. TY, Sam
SaminVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 02:17 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I bought one (Black Friday sale) from Cabela's ($699 was a steal). I haven't mounted it yet. It's ready to go without any additional modules (unlike Lowrance). Mounting transducer on your troll motor will require a "mounting kit" as it comes with a transom mount only. It's about $12 direct from Humminbird.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 05:00 PM   #3
lilmule

Id go back to that order page and look closer,generally it has see more detail and on that page takes all acessories back.IE not included and it uses a special transducer that costs 233.00 the xh9.
How do I know, I bought a 778 SCI few years back and it also uses a remote type ducer but cheaper just not included,ps paid more for it with gold chip imbedded,than you did that higher end model.
I like hummingbird but feel some of the advertising is misleading,unless one reads the fine print under more info.So most likly you have some acessories to purchase,unless you want gps only.
If you got it with a ducer then it is a steal as bird sells it for 1k without,also two transducers will work on it a simple downimaging cheap ,then the dual very expensive side imager.Operates at 455 mgz so older ducers wont work with it.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-22-11 at 05:09 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 11:50 PM   #4
whit
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I bought one (Black Friday sale) from Cabela's ($699 was a steal). I haven't mounted it yet. It's ready to go without any additional modules (unlike Lowrance). Mounting transducer on your troll motor will require a "mounting kit" as it comes with a transom mount only. It's about $12 direct from Humminbird.

...or you can call Humminbird customer service and explain to them that you need a transducer for the trolling motor. Then all you have to do is send your new unused transom mount transducer back to them and they will exchange it for one that fits the trolling motor......for free.

Last edited by whit; 01-22-11 at 11:56 PM.
whit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 04:37 PM   #5
3dkicker

You don't need two units with H-bird like you do with the Lowrance. H-bird is going to be the less expensive of the two.

I've got mine mounted on the transom and use it to find structure and cover when using the big motor at idle or at slow speeds. I then use the trolling motor to hold positon still using the same unit once I find something I want to fish. All I do is rotate it around, got it mounted away from the console, and look at it from the front of the boat.

If you mount it on the trolling motor then you'll never be able to use it unless you're on the trolling motor.
Old 01-24-11, 05:38 PM   #6
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Id go back to that order page and look closer,generally it has see more detail and on that page takes all acessories back.IE not included and it uses a special transducer that costs 233.00 the xh9.
How do I know, I bought a 778 SCI few years back and it also uses a remote type ducer but cheaper just not included,ps paid more for it with gold chip imbedded,than you did that higher end model.
I like hummingbird but feel some of the advertising is misleading,unless one reads the fine print under more info.So most likly you have some acessories to purchase,unless you want gps only.
If you got it with a ducer then it is a steal as bird sells it for 1k without,also two transducers will work on it a simple downimaging cheap ,then the dual very expensive side imager.Operates at 455 mgz so older ducers wont work with it.
i didnt have to buy anything when i bought my 798...transducer and all in the box. and theur customer service is excellent,and they always answer the phone. unlike lowrance
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 06:54 PM   #7
bassboogieman

The 798cSI Cabela's sold for their Black Friday special has the SI transom mount transducer, CD, it's complete. It WAS a steal at $699 and free shipping with a coupon I had.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 10:01 PM   #8
lilmule

Definately a steal ,bird has it at 1000 or near without,year end closeout???
The side imagaing transducer is valued at over 200 .Shurely it was a great deal,many happy fishing hrs.
I gave more for my 787sci,and it came with nothing.
Difference being ordered mine from hummigbird store,think ill go look at my cabelas catalog lol.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 10:36 PM   #9
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've got the 788 model and have it mounted on the console rather than the
TM. I can sure see the benefits of the TM mount.
Old 01-26-11, 11:51 PM   #10
SaminVa
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm looking hard at them now... a friend who has vast exp. told me to use the transom mount for a while to get used to the unit... I think he's concerned about interference from my variable speed trolling motor & also that when you turn the trolling motor the tm trans. can show a fuzzy return vs. what the transom mount one would give you
SaminVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.