Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-11, 09:07 PM   #1
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Abu Orra SX?

I'm planning on getting a new reel to use on a 7' Heavy rod for frogs and heavy cover jigs. Wondering if any of you have used the Abu Orra SX? With an aluminum frame, good drag power, decent weight, centrifugal brake system and 7:1 gear ratio it would seem to be a great buy at $99. I've read the reviews on BPS and Cabelas but too many of those are written with little knowledge or use ( you just gotta love the reviews that give five stars and say "just got this reel and love it....can't wait to use it").

Thanks for the feedback in advance
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 12:08 PM   #2
fish4942

Yeah all reels would get five stars based on the ability to buy it and take it home. I crack up when I see those. They’ll be like “I took it home and put it on a 7’ St. Croix and it feels great. I’ll give another review when I actually use it. I recommend this reel to everyone…” I’m like really?

I’ve read the reviews on the Orra as well and it seems to compete directly with the BPS Pro Qualifier (PQ) which I have in the 7:1 ratio. The PQ to me is an excellent reel at any price. I’ve set it to where I literally don’t have to thumb the spool when casting. Brakes work perfectly in landing my lure without back lashing. My friends where absolutely amazed at that. I was using Vicious Fluoro 15lb at the time. I eventually got cute and careless with it and started getting snagged in heavy brush, plus some really poor casts in which the lure landed 5 feet away from me (almost guaranteed to back lash) and I ended up cutting enough line to where I now have BPS 14lb mono it. I could have picked out the backlashes and saved the line, but it was really getting low and the only other reel I had with me at the time was my spinning reel. So I proceeded to cut it and re-spool.
I do have the Abu Garcia Revo SX to kind of compare with the PQ. I’d take the PQ again over the Orra. Just my $.02.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 12:54 PM   #3
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Yep, those reviews used to crack me up. Now they just tick me off. Just crap to wade through, to get to reviews that actually hold some merit.

I recently read a kayak review. One guy downgraded his review because he felt it should come with an anchoring system. THEN BUY A YAK THAT HAS IT!
Old 01-21-11, 01:33 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I haven't used the Orra SX at all. But one of my tournament partners has one and really likes it. All of my reels are Revo SX's except for my cranking rods and they have Revo Winch's on them. My buddy used several of the SX's in the past and then bought a few of his own before he bought the Orra. He said that the Orra fishes almost identical to the Revo SX and he loves it. Wish I had some first hand information for you but this is as close as I can get.
Old 01-25-11, 03:03 PM   #5
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have seen their picture in a catalog and i gotta say i give it 3,000 stars. Its awesome you should buy one... LMAO...

This is how i feel about guys who base their reviews of tackle on how well the finish is and not on the action, hook sharpness, hook strength, or how well it stand up to gettin hammered by big fish.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 03:31 PM   #6
nmanley

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

I have the Ora SX rigged on a Zillion 7' MH rod. I'm very happy with the Ora and plan to buy more.

Very well balanced. 0.79 of a pound in weight ready to cast.
Old 01-27-11, 04:23 PM   #7
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It's a good quality reel at it's price point when compared to other Abu reels. If you want to get a reel from the Abu line, then it would be a good choice. However, if you directly compare it to a BPS Pro Qualifier, the PQ wins, IMO. The PQ has dual brakes. Thats very handy for beginers and experienced casters as well. The PQ also has a nicer handle as well as a TI coated line guide. They have the same number of bearings and weigh about the same. They are both built by Prue fishing contractors. The PQ has a much better warranty. I personally feel that the Orra compares favorably to the BPS Extreme and the Pfleuger Assaro or Trion
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 12:13 AM   #8
MikeS.
BassFishin.Com Member

My friend has one on a duckett rod. He uses it for 5inch senkos no weights and that thing sails!
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 08:43 AM   #9
Ebbetsguy

It's basically a Revo S but for some technical reason they have it as a saltwater friendly reel, maybe Pro Reel can explain why. A few friends have them in Brooklyn and they love them for smaller bluefish and stripers, I have never used this reel so can not say anything about how they work
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 04:23 PM   #10
Backwater Charlie

Here's my two cents on the reel..

I don't own nor have I used it, but if I'm not mistaken the Orra SX's are made in China. Abu has had real complaints about other reels of theirs that were made in China.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.