Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-13, 09:33 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Goodbye BassFishin.com Forum?

Members of the BF.com Forums: over the past few days, I’ve been talking to some of the regulars here about the possibility of us leaving BF.com for our BassChat Forum. I could not contact everyone via PM, so I’m posting this here now. I apologize if I left you out of the original PM letter, but it was more so I could get some feedback, find out some of your concerns, and see where people stood before I make a post on the forum. Unfortunately, I think the time has come to move to a more suitable place for us.

Unfortunately, Kevin has chosen, for whatever reason, to neglect the site and the wonderful group of people who call it home. Kevin has not done anything with the site since August, 2011. Spammers have run loose on the forums posting spam on multiple occasions (some worse than others). And while most of this has been stopped after a long search to find Kevin only to beg him to come fix it, he cannot seem to stop the influx the new spam members. Over the past couple of days, we’ve gotten around 1000 new members, maybe even more. Every time I refresh the page, it seems a few more have registered. On top of that, he still refuses to grant anyone moderator powers.

So I propose we move our operations to the BassChat forum, which I myself created a few years ago to give the members here a chat room. It slowly expanded into a forum that few actually posted on. If we moved, we would be on a Yuku based forum community. Yuku is quite strict about spam, and takes care of a lot of it. What they don’t get, I (or one of the moderators) will take care of. We will have the chat room built right in to the forum, which is a great time for those who haven’t checked it out. The link is www.basschat.yuku.com. Please feel free to head over there and have a look, even register if you’d like. They have even recently release both iOS and Android apps, which I’ve been testing the last couple days.

I’d like to talk about a few things that have been brought up by the group of members I originally PMed. First the addition of moderators to the forum. There are already moderators in place for most of the forum sections on BassChat, and I will be adding more in the coming week or so. However, I strongly believe this forum was so great because of our system of self-moderation. The moderators I have chosen and I are in agreement that we don’t want to change this. The moderators will be in place mainly to deal with spam. They will be able to merge duplicate posts, move threads that are posted in inappropriate sections, and sticky topics if they feel they need it. They will also have the power to close and delete, but have agreed to only use this power in the most severe cases (and for spam). Any future moderators will have the same philosophy, and take a very hands-off approach with the forum.

Another aspect many are concerned with is leaving the BF.com Forums completely. This is a choice that only you can make. Whether you decide to leave completely or just use BassChat as another forum, you will be welcomed there. My hope is that it will become what BF.com once was before being forgotten by its administrators.

I also wanted to alleviate any fears that I have something to personally gain from any of you posting to, or even switching solely to BassChat. I created the forum as a place for the members of this site, and that has not changed. I do not have anything more to gain from it than all of you: a forum filled with good friends, good conversation, and no spam. I also do not have a personal vendetta against Kevin, I'm just disappointed he has forgotten about his friends here.

If any of you have any other concerns, please feel free to voice them here, to me privately via PM, or at BassChat. I will be happy to talk with any of you about whatever it is you’re thinking about the move. A handful of our regular members have already started to post on BassChat, and it’s already feeling like home.

We’ve always said it’s the people here that make the site special, and I wholeheartedly agree. I really would like if we could get enough of us to make BassChat our new go-to bass fishing website.

Anthony(BB)
Old 01-14-13, 08:51 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Personally, I think you're out of line. If you want to point out problems with this forum, fine. If you want to promote another forum, fine. Publicly encouraging members to quit this forum is inappropriate.

Kevin is more than tolerant (at least thus far) to leave your post up; many forum owners would've deleted it immediately.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 09:46 PM   #3
WTL

Marty, it is a difficult question. On the one hand, yes this is Kevin's site, and he has worked way harder over the years than perhaps the average person suspects.

On the other hand, I don't think Anthony is ignorant of Kevin's hard work, nor is he being an opportunist. He took the initiative, after a lot of people had complained for a long time, and perhaps his action underlined the immediacy of the problem, prompting Kevin to solve it.

As Anthony was clear that the "Exodus" was provisional based on whether or not the problem would be solved, I think its fair to cut the kid some slack.
Old 01-14-13, 10:02 PM   #4
bassboogieman

I gotta back up Billy on this one.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 10:03 PM   #5
1/4 stick

WTL is right. Anthony knew poeple were thinking of leaving and was just trying to give people a place to go to get away from the spambots and keep everyone from scattering all over the net. Basically I think he just wanted to keep the group together. he doesn't make any money from his place so there's really no reason for him try and steal anyone away from bf.com. he was really trying to offer a solution rather than promote anything.
Old 01-14-13, 10:08 PM   #6
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
Personally, I think you're out of line. If you want to point out problems with this forum, fine. If you want to promote another forum, fine. Publicly encouraging members to quit this forum is inappropriate.

Kevin is more than tolerant (at least thus far) to leave your post up; many forum owners would've deleted it immediately.
Dude....simmer down. Kevin can only remove something immediately if he gives a crap....which he apparently doesn't.

Furthermore Anthony just seems to be inviting those people that are sick of the shambles this site has become to visit an alternative. Absolutely nothing inapproprate about that at all. In fact it's downright admirable.
Old 01-14-13, 11:10 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:

I don't know how much this group of members means to you as far as being friends is concerned. But to a lot of folks on here the members they talk with on this site are more than just usernames on a forum, many of us are close friends. If everyone had enough of the spam and the clutter on here and just threw in the towel and left, it would be hard for all of us to stay in touch with each other. Anthony's plan B is a way that we can all stay together if it hits the fan and we all bug out. At no point does Anthony say anything about everyone leaving this site, he just offered another place for us to use if need be.
Old 01-14-13, 11:22 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Yeah, I don't know how it happened, but this website brought about a whole new slew of friendships for me, and I'd be pretty upset if it all fell apart. Kudos to Anthony for having an emergency plan in place.
Old 01-14-13, 11:31 PM   #9
bcklash

Those of us that have met Anthony knows what great person he is. He is no way trying to undermine Kevin.
Old 01-14-13, 11:45 PM   #10
joedog

I BACK ANTHONY 100%!!!

The fact is, if Anthony wouldn't have done this step, Kevin would have done nothing.
There was NO motivation AT ALL to hurt ANYONE!
Especially the members and Kevin.
Never did I read here or at Bass Chat ANY negative remarks.
NONE!

Anthony THANK YOU!
IMO- EVERYONE should be THANKING Anthony!

Again, just my opinion.
Old 01-15-13, 01:07 AM   #11
Abbeysdad

I tried to join but it tells me my handle is unavailable?
Old 01-15-13, 01:41 AM   #12
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
I tried to join but it tells me my handle is unavailable?
Try adding the last 2 digits of Abbys birthday to the end of the handle. Like Abbysdad99 or whatever year she was born. That's not just your user name for that one forum, it's for the whole site which has other forums.
Old 01-15-13, 12:05 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:

Marty, I understand and respect your opinion. I knew there would be members who would be very opposed to a change (just as there are members who wholeheartedly support it).

I have met Kevin personally, at the KY Lake Get Together, and he is a great guy. But I, like too many of the members here, are very disappointed in what has happened to the site over the past 8 months (?) or so.

BassChat has been in existence since January 2010, three years. A relatively small group of members has been visiting it since it began to use the chat room. It was just a chat room for a while, but after a while we decided to expand it to see if we could get more members there. Nothing was ever said here about it, other than to promote the chat room. I offered the forum to everyone at this site when we had the large influx of spam posts and no one could seem to get in contact with Kevin. It didn't get much attention, and someone finally contacted Kevin and he dealt with the posts, but not all the spam bots. That was fine for most.

As time went on, the spam bots came in droves, over 1000 a day some days. Then we started to get a spam post here or there, even through the blocks Kevin put in place. I talked first with a small group about again offering BassChat as an alternative to the problem. Most agreed it may be best, at least for a while. I then expanded to a larger group and again the vast majority was in favor of a "move," even if temporary.

When I made this post, I was not aware that John (bamabassman) had been in contact with Kevin and talked to him. Kevin posted shortly after I did.

We have some members already enjoying BassChat, I do hope to get more. There is nothing wrong with another fishing forum on the net. And if I can create a forum as great as this one once was (and hopefully will be again), all the better. I truly do hope Kevin will get things turned around here, but I want everyone to know that BassChat is, and always will be, open to all of you no matter what happens here.

I'd also like to thank everyone else for their support on this issue, and not just in this thread. It truly was a tough decision whether or not to actively encourage members to use BassChat as a "supplement" to BF.com Forums.

Anthony
BB
Old 01-15-13, 08:43 PM   #14
Marty

Quote:
Marty, I understand and respect your opinion. I knew there would be members who would be very opposed to a change (just as there are members who wholeheartedly support it).

I have met Kevin personally, at the KY Lake Get Together, and he is a great guy. But I, like too many of the members here, are very disappointed in what has happened to the site over the past 8 months (?) or so.
Anthony,

I don't know that I made my point as clearly as I intended. I'm not opposed to change and I wasn't commenting one way or the other on the site and its problems, member dissatisfaction or Kevin's management of the site.

The sole point I was trying to make was that I didn't think it was appropriate to use Kevin's site to encourage people to leave Kevin's site.

Good luck and best regards,
Marty

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 08:54 PM   #15
RustyFender
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Anthony,

The sole point I was trying to make was that I didn't think it was appropriate to use Kevin's site to encourage people to leave Kevin's site.

Marty
Even though it makes little or no difference to me, it seems a Point of Order is in order. Given that the people on Kevins site were the only people Anthony was trying to talk to, how would you have him effectively invite them to Basschat? Carrier Pigeon?
Old 01-15-13, 09:22 PM   #16
Bassboss

I'm up for a move!

When I joined the forum back in 2009 I knew that it was for the people, and the lack of moderation was what was going to make this site! In fact it was what allowed me to remain a member after being a post happy ding-bat 14 year-old that got on every bodies nerves! Over the last year, my traffic has been somewhat limited to the site. Partially due to summer work, and other hobbies. If we could get back to that relatively young and growing website I was greeted with back in 2009, I'm all for it!
Old 01-15-13, 09:55 PM   #17
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I'm up for a move!

When I joined the forum back in 2009 I knew that it was for the people, and the lack of moderation was what was going to make this site! In fact it was what allowed me to remain a member after being a post happy ding-bat 14 year-old that got on every bodies nerves! Over the last year, my traffic has been somewhat limited to the site. Partially due to summer work, and other hobbies. If we could get back to that relatively young and growing website I was greeted with back in 2009, I'm all for it!
Who, you?? Nah...Never!
Old 01-15-13, 10:04 PM   #18
bamabassman

well i believe that things are getting back to where it used to be. and with the new changes..it could even GROW...with proper moderation, hehehehe.

so take heart my fellow brethern and sisters. and spread the word about our FAMILY.
Old 01-15-13, 10:15 PM   #19
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Hey gang.
I've enjoyed this site as much as everybody else.

I inadvertently found this site by googling a fishfinder question

I agree with every single post except Marty's (no offense).

I'm assuming Kevin is just too busy (as has been reported several times over the last year or so) to maintain the site.
Busy or not, that does create a ton of problems for the people that like to spend time here.

My hat is off to Kevin for running a top notch site, and all the work he's put into it, with the videos and the bassin tips by e-mail and such.

This site has given me a ton of info, as well as flat out shoved me into the monkey pit when my back was turned Several of the people I've met here are the best people in the world asfar as I'm concerned.
But it's looking like it's time to move on. I don't really relish the fact (hell, I hate relish!), but change is better than just disappearing.
Old 01-15-13, 10:18 PM   #20
MallenManson

OK, wait.....I just finished saying you guys are great...and the problem is fixed?
I take it all back! I was only bein funny!
Old 01-15-13, 10:25 PM   #21
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
OK, wait.....I just finished saying you guys are great...and the problem is fixed?
I take it all back! I was only bein funny!
Too late.
Old 01-15-13, 10:40 PM   #22
Tavery5

In my observation this site has just about run its course. I joined a few years ago and found it to be a site full of fishing related information. We had great discussions about techniques, fishing gear, many many things related to fishing. What it has become in my opinion is a place for a small group of regulars to hang out and see how each other are doing. 90% of the post are off topic and political based, nothing wrong with that, but it does not make much of a fishing site.

Think about it seriously, if you were a new member searching for a site to discuss matters related to fishing, would this be your first choice. I know it's not mine any longer.
I will continue to visit this site and post ocassionally but for me, it has lost its appeal.

I hope someone can get it back on track, or change the name to something more appropriate.
Old 01-15-13, 10:43 PM   #23
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
Too late.
Luckily, I wasn't referring to you
Old 01-15-13, 10:45 PM   #24
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Luckily, I wasn't referring to you
hehehehehehe....
Old 01-15-13, 10:48 PM   #25
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
hehehehehehe....

Who luvs ya, brutha?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.