Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-10, 10:01 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Skeet Reese Leaving Abu Garcia

So, Skeet Reese is leaving Abu and supposedly plans to announce his new reel sponsor during ICAST.

Personally, I'm hoping it's Daiwa. A black and yellow Zillion sounds awesome to me!

I just don't see why he'd want to leave Abu, although I can probably guess someone offered him more money. I just hope he doesn't do something dumb, like have W&M make him a signature reel.

BB
Old 06-23-10, 10:45 PM   #2
WTL

Well, I guess I'm not gonna sleep tonight, wondering why he did that and who will sponsor him next....(j/k)
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 12:27 AM   #3
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

I hope it's Quantum.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 05:39 AM   #4
rrw4258

Wow another sponsor huh? I saw that Skeet left Champion Boats at the last tourney. He was with Stratos boats.

Ryan
Old 06-24-10, 07:46 AM   #5
keithdog

Maybe it has something to do with Iaconelli joining Garcia.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 07:57 AM   #6
Bassboss

Hmm.. that's really odd. He was the last person I thought would leave Garcia! It'll b very interesting to see who he teams up with.

Pinnacle is getting some new pro staff, so he may be the next one, but I sure a heel hope not!!
Old 06-24-10, 08:09 AM   #7
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Maybe it has something to do with Iaconelli joining Garcia.
I think Iaconelli and Reese are good friends. So I don't think it is that. I could be wrong though. I think he will end of Quantum.
Old 06-24-10, 09:16 AM   #8
rodnreel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Wow another sponsor huh? I saw that Skeet left Champion Boats at the last tourney. He was with Stratos boats.

Ryan
That's a bit of a hairy situation. Skeet didn't actually leave Champion. The company that owned Champion/Stratos/Ranger at the time (Genmar) filed for bankruptcy and was bought out by another (PE). When that happened they basically decided to do away with the Champion brand, even though they kept a few of the old Champion boat molds. So officially, it is now just Stratos and Ranger brands. Sometime this year they will start producing a line of boats called "Champion Elites by Stratos" using the old boat molds. This is the reason that Skeet now has a Stratos logo on his boat instead of Champion (even though he still sports his Champion life vest ). Skeet was caught in the middle and instead of finding a new sponsor he decided to essentially stay in the same boat, just with a different name on the side.

I am very surprised to see him leaving Abu Garcia, though. Seemed like he had a really good thing going with them. Money talks...

Last edited by rodnreel; 06-24-10 at 09:22 AM.
rodnreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 09:27 AM   #9
ryant57
BassFishin.Com Member

I was at a show and saw a WM reel that was supposedly a SR prototype. Looked just like a Revo. I am guessing he is adding this to his WM, Trokar, etc. protfolio. Didn't seem like a bad reel and was priced right! It will be marketed along the same lines as the rods. Affordability and used by Skeet! They will sell if that is the case!
ryant57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 11:10 AM   #10
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryant57 View Post
I was at a show and saw a WM reel that was supposedly a SR prototype. Looked just like a Revo. I am guessing he is adding this to his WM, Trokar, etc. protfolio. Didn't seem like a bad reel and was priced right! It will be marketed along the same lines as the rods. Affordability and used by Skeet! They will sell if that is the case!
Sounds cool. Do you have a link to it or maybe a pic?
Old 06-24-10, 02:14 PM   #11
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnreel View Post
That's a bit of a hairy situation. Skeet didn't actually leave Champion. The company that owned Champion/Stratos/Ranger at the time (Genmar) filed for bankruptcy and was bought out by another (PE). When that happened they basically decided to do away with the Champion brand, even though they kept a few of the old Champion boat molds. So officially, it is now just Stratos and Ranger brands. Sometime this year they will start producing a line of boats called "Champion Elites by Stratos" using the old boat molds. This is the reason that Skeet now has a Stratos logo on his boat instead of Champion (even though he still sports his Champion life vest ). Skeet was caught in the middle and instead of finding a new sponsor he decided to essentially stay in the same boat, just with a different name on the side.

I am very surprised to see him leaving Abu Garcia, though. Seemed like he had a really good thing going with them. Money talks...

R&R, thanks for letting me know this. I was unaware that they are no longing making the Champion brand.

Ryan
Old 06-24-10, 03:26 PM   #12
rodnreel

Quote:
R&R, thanks for letting me know this. I was unaware that they are no longing making the Champion brand.

Ryan

No problem. It's unfortunate that it's gone because Champion made a good boat and has a lot of loyal customers. I think I'm gonna add a "Limited Edition" sticker on the side of my used Champ.

And as far as I know Mike McClelland, who was the other notable Elite angler sponsored by Champion, hasn't made a decision about his future ride. It will be interesting to see what he picks....seems like Bass Cat has been picking up steam with the pros.
Old 06-28-10, 01:29 PM   #13
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Champion is gone

Champion boats is going away. They are not in production right now but the they are going to kill the brand.

Quote:

Ryan
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 08:55 AM   #14
walkeraviator

What about champion bay boats? will they keep the molds and fold them over into the Ranger Bay Boat stuff or maybe start branding Stratos Bay Boats for the first time ever???
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 12:41 PM   #15
Abbeysdad

"Frankly Scarlet....."
Old 07-14-10, 11:44 AM   #16
Bassboss

Well it's official, skeet reese now has a Wright and Magill Reel. Check it out.

Bigger pic here. http://www.wfn.tv/icast/

Scoll down, find the photo gallery.
Old 07-14-10, 12:05 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Well, I guess he got a reel to match his rods price wise... Shame he left a good reel company with a good reputation to go to W&M. I don't see any more Skeet Reese signature tackle in my future.

Funny though, he still fishes with $20 Lucky Crafts...

BB
Old 07-14-10, 12:17 PM   #18
Kevin
Administrator

Pretty big handle... wonder how much that would slow down your line retrieval?
Old 07-14-10, 12:28 PM   #19
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Pretty big handle... wonder how much that decreases the retrieval inches per turn?
It is a big looking handle.....since thats all you get to see
Old 07-14-10, 02:27 PM   #20
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
It is a big looking handle.....since thats all you get to see
lol not no more!

Got another pic!

It's called the "victory" and will retail around 99 buck! Bad move skeet...

But than again, maybe this will spark a new tread in "value reels!" Hopefully it'll compete with high priced reels.
Old 07-14-10, 02:52 PM   #21
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Pretty big handle... wonder how much that decreases the retrieval inches per turn?

Kevin, I am a little confused by your post. It has always been my understanding that handle length does not effect IPT. IPT rather is combined total of the gearing and spool dia. Please correct me if I am wrong. I know you loose a little speed with a longer handle, as it talkes slightly longer to complete 1 revolution. That revolution will pull in the same amount of line, be it if you turn the driveshaft with your fingers or a 100mm handle.

again please correct me if I am mistaken.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 03:04 PM   #22
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
lol not no more!

Got another pic!

It's called the "victory" and will retail around 99 buck! Bad move skeet...

But than again, maybe this will spark a new tread in "value reels!" Hopefully it'll compete with high priced reels.

Yea bad move...It looks like a reel that pissed itself.
Old 07-14-10, 03:05 PM   #23
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Yea bad move...It looks like a reel that pissed itself.
LMAO, sure does.
Old 07-14-10, 03:22 PM   #24
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Kevin, I am a little confused by your post. It has always been my understanding that handle length does not effect IPT. IPT rather is combined total of the gearing and spool dia. Please correct me if I am wrong. I know you loose a little speed with a longer handle, as it talkes slightly longer to complete 1 revolution. That revolution will pull in the same amount of line, be it if you turn the driveshaft with your fingers or a 100mm handle.

again please correct me if I am mistaken.
Tavery... You're right... I misspoke. The handle has nothing to do with line retrieval per handle turn. I was just thinking aloud as to how much a long handle like that would slow down how fast you can retrieve line... just misspoke in the process. That's usually how my brain functions.

But you are right... handle length does not affect line retrieval per handle turn.
Old 07-14-10, 03:48 PM   #25
rodnreel

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
What about champion bay boats? will they keep the molds and fold them over into the Ranger Bay Boat stuff or maybe start branding Stratos Bay Boats for the first time ever???
As far as I know, there are only 3 Champion molds that will still be produced...the 183, 202, and 210. Don't think the bay boats will continue to be produced.

One thing I can say about Skeet is he has found a way to move a lot of his product. Make your tools of the trade available to the public at such a good price and they're sure to sell.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.