Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-06, 11:57 AM   #1
Kickin Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kickin Bass
Default I can't beleive I did it

Strung up 4 spinning reels with fresh line - BASS ACKWARDS ! Rats nest on 3rd or 4th casts.

I should have checked in the beginning - would have saved me a lot of aggravation. It's almost embarrasing - good thing only my granddaughter (6 yrs old) was around to see it. Still - she asked - 'why did it do that granddad?'

Now, I have to unspool them and hopefully get it right this time.

Must be an old age thing.
Kickin Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-06, 01:19 PM   #2
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

me too, just one reel though. i reckon it is a 50/50 proposition, right or wrong way. ****happens, get over it, move on" is the attitude i take about the small things. and i have several other reels to put new line on also, and i hope i can do better. i trust i can prevent **** from happening again.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-06, 01:36 PM   #3
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I love that new line caddy from Berkley I believe, try finding one at your local sporting goods store. Cost is around 21.00. You can fill both Spining Reels and Baitcasters. It's even got a line striper included. Full Instruction booklet too.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-06, 08:25 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hey Kickin-no need to respool. If you have a boat let the line trail out behind it as you are running-that will take out the twist. If not, go out side, grab the end of the line, open the bail and start walking. When you get to the end, wind the line back on. Use your fingers to keep the line tight, and as you reel it back on the line will untwist as it goes between your fingers.
Old 02-16-06, 08:49 PM   #5
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i have never had that happen to me
Old 02-16-06, 09:03 PM   #6
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

Now, dont' call me stupid....yet. I've never used a spinning reel. I just purchased my first one last week (got tired of not being able to throw light weight during tourneys). But, how can you "spool the line on backwards"? I spooled mine just like my baitcaster. Feed the line through the eyelets and tye onto the spool and crank it up. Maybe I'm confused, did you just wind it directly onto the spool by hand? Is that how everyone does it?

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-06, 09:08 PM   #7
Marty

I can't read his mind, but I think he means he spooled it on the wrong way, that is, the way that puts twist in the line, rather than the other way.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-06, 10:20 PM   #8
Kickin Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kickin Bass

Yes ... there's a right way and a wrong way to spool line onto the reel on a spinning reel.

I think what caused my problem is that I bought one of the fangled contraptions that connect to your rod, then allows you to spool directly to the reel, and you have to route the line certain ways and thru gizmos and stuff to get it to spool right.

I read and re-read the instructions (because the instructions didn't make sense) and I figured with a 50/50 shot I'd take the chance. I followed what I thought was correct. I have never had this happen to me either but for the use of this line spooler thing.

I'm tossing that thing and purchasing one of the 6 spool line spooler things.

I can't really spool the line out and respool it because I had to cut away a lot of the line due to tangled rats nests.
Kickin Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-06, 11:08 PM   #9
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin Bass
Yes ... there's a right way and a wrong way to spool line onto the reel on a spinning reel.

Yes there is, use Fireline or Powperpro Sorry couldn't resist.

I have to say that no matter which way you spool it, if the spool on your reel isn't exactly the same at the line spool(yeah right), it will always be off. Line memory is line memory. Soak the spool of line in warm water before spooling, then keep tension while spooling, while holding a rag soaked in either KVD's spray or Reel Magic. Once that's all done keep spraying occasionally to help with the line memory. If you are still having problems, and can't use Rebassers advice, tie the end to a tree/bumper/whatever, and after spraying with the above sprays pull tight, and apply some pressure when you'll pulled out the line. This will help remove some of the line memory, don't pull too much, you can over stretch it and make it weak.

Lizards
Old 02-17-06, 06:36 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

When I spool up backwards I just turn the spool upside down and inside out. WHOLLA
Old 02-18-06, 10:32 AM   #11
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

For you guys that fish from the bank and don't have a boat to get on the water to "troll your line" to get the twist out try this. Tie your line to a swivel and attach your swivel to a tree and walk your line out while keeping it tight and watch your twist dissapear. Then you can run your sprays over your line prior to winding it up. Or just buy some Power Pro and don't worry about it.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.