Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-06, 03:35 PM   #1
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Telling a Bite on a Jig and/or Tube.

I just started fishing plastics this year. I searched this site but didnt find anything great for an answer.

OK so hers my question I have the worm bite down for the most part. I am still learning on that everytime I use it.

But on a jig and even a tube. Is there a one answer fits MOST to telling if you have a strike or bite? To clarify this:

My experience on a worm and my most successful hookups are when I get a nibble or two. Then I wait and they either nibble a bit harder or they take it and run then I set the hook.

I was fishing a jig two weekends ago and I got the nibble then nothing, this probably happened 3-4 times during that particular 30 minute period. I was always waiting for them to come back but it didn't happen.

My assumption is I needed to set that hook upon the first 'nibble'. As thats all the indication I am going to have. Is that correct or was I just getting short strikes?

Anyone that can clarify it would be much appreciated. Everything I read doesn't really explain the hooking up part of the equation.

Last edited by Snake2715; 07-27-06 at 03:49 PM.
Snake2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-06, 04:20 PM   #2
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most of the time with tubes and jigs fish strike it on the fall or as it setlling on the bottom after being hoped, so you feel "nothing". What I mean is that you do not feel the drag of the bait pulling your line as it sinks to the bottom, something like if you bait dissapeared from the end of your line, also, if you donīt watch your line you are going to miss the strikes as they occur, the line moves. Anytime you feel anything abnormal aside from the drag set the hook. With jigs by the time you feel the nibble the fish has already spit the bait.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-06, 04:57 PM   #3
Snake2715

Thanks Raul. I am still having trouble noticing those less obvious bites especially on a day with a little chop.

I did some more searches and came across an article written by Fishon that seemed to help. I will try these things out over the next day or two.

Last edited by Snake2715; 07-28-06 at 09:12 AM.
Snake2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-06, 05:25 PM   #4
Buzzking
BassFishin.Com Member

To add to what Raul said, Which is exactly right,
I don't know if your casting , flipping are pitching these lures, but no matter what your doing you need to have a simi- slack to simi- tense line while the lure is falling. You dont want the line tight but you need to keep a slight tension on it, (NOT ENOUGH TO DISRUPT THE VERTICAL FALL OF THE LURE, JUST ENOUGH TO SORT OF NOTICE WHAT THE BAIT IS DOING). And like Raul said be a line watcher. Where I fish there is mostly stained water and I started using the Berkley Big Game High Visibility green line, it really helps me to see what that bait is doing,and I'm noticing a few more hits than I used to.
A jig is one of the harder baits to learn, but it is very well worth it in the end. Just Keep at it.
Buzzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-06, 07:05 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Those nibbles you got may not be bass-bluegill are notorious for grabbing the tail of a bait. They often feel like a rat-a-tat-a-tat rather than a thump-thump. Also, you may not feel or see a hit-the bait just gets "heavy". I've had that happen a lot lately-when that happens I set the hook. Sometimes it is a swing and a miss, but other times it is a hookup. I'll take a swing and a miss over missing a fish any day.
Old 07-27-06, 08:12 PM   #6
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

yes, Bass do not nibble..they engulf whatever they eat. When you're feeling the taps on your line, what they are doing is situating the lure in their mouth or picking it up then dropping it, trying to get a better hold on it...but they aren't nibbling. Bluegill nibble..bass chomp.

With a jig..if you feel or see two taps, you've usually missed the fish. They don't hold on very long. and if you feel a tap, don't wait long..just a second or two and set the hook.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-06, 08:19 PM   #7
Bender

My friend that has been fishing for a long time has given me some advice on this. He says that most people miss most of the bites they have. He suggests that when fishing you cast your line out and count down until the bait hits the bottom. Now every time you cast to that area (depth) count as it is falling. If you see your line go slack or tighten up before you finish your count then set the hook, a bass has inhaled it. He says a lot of times a bass will inhale a lure, realize they don't want it and spit it out without you even knowing if you are not paying very close attention and concentrating.
What do you guys think abuot this theory? I know he has done pretty well in a lot of tournaments in the ast and given seminars about this.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-06, 08:21 PM   #8
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
Most of the time with tubes and jigs fish strike it on the fall or as it setlling on the bottom after being hoped, so you feel "nothing". What I mean is that you do not feel the drag of the bait pulling your line as it sinks to the bottom, something like if you bait dissapeared from the end of your line, also, if you donīt watch your line you are going to miss the strikes as they occur, the line moves. Anytime you feel anything abnormal aside from the drag set the hook. With jigs by the time you feel the nibble the fish has already spit the bait.

i have yet to catch a bass on the fall.. all of my pnj bass have come while the jig is in contact with the bottom.. i am in the process of going to school with a pnj. as i am probly going fishing this weekend with some one who is REALLY good with a jig.. i never count on a hit if the line goes left i set right ans vice versa. if the pnj gets hit i am setting the hook i do NOT wait..

zooker
Old 07-27-06, 08:21 PM   #9
crankybait

fishon taught me about tubes too... anyway, i havent tried this but there was a post here a while ago (or maybe somewhere else, i think BDO) about holding your line with your index finger so you can feel slight ticks on your line.
Old 07-27-06, 09:45 PM   #10
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

when you feel that first tap or thump,set the hook hard.i have had bass bites that feel very similar to a bluegill nibbling on my bait.there is no hesitaion on my part...anything that feels like something other than nothing gets a hard hookset.why wait?to see if the fish is going away?you know he's there,set the hook.if you get a bluegill,so what...it could have been a bass.why take the chance.
the idea i'm trying to impress is,DO NOT WAIT,SET THE HOOK.hooksets are free.
the only time to wait is when you are fishing a frog.
when fishing worms,use a MH rod.when fishing jigs,use a heavy rod.
with worms,use the lightest weight possible.
and i have only had one night where the bass hit a jig on the fall.mostly my jig is on the bottom when they hit.
Old 07-28-06, 09:16 AM   #11
Snake2715

Thanks guys.. I guess I am glad I asked now as I apparently was developing a bad habit of waiting before the hookset. I think my biggest fear was that they are bumping into it getting ready to take it and I didn't want to yank it away from them.

I will put this info to use this weekend!
Old 07-28-06, 09:25 AM   #12
JB

yes, don't wait, no one will laugh if you set the hook and nothings there, it happens....
better to be safe than sorry ya missed a fish
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.