Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-06, 02:05 PM   #1
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Why Bass Always Hit the Front Hook?

I was fishing X-rap, one of my favor in shallow near a small waterfall last couple days. The water was just 3"-8", and very clear. Since the weather was hot, and the waterfall brought cool and rich oxygen water there, so the fish was really active.

I caught tons of small size LMs, from 10"-16". AND THEY ALWAYS HITED THE FRONT HOOK OF MY X-RAP! While all other fish I caught prefered the feather hook. ( crappies and one almost 1lb huge bluegill) Yes, I mean always. And I remembered that happened to me from different spots earlier. Anyone had same kind experience?

In most case, I think bass hits the rear hook of crankbaits. But why do they prefer the front hook of X-rap? Is it the concern of the feather hook, or the action of X-rap? I was thinking what Zook mentioned or complained about X-rap here before.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-06, 02:20 PM   #2
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

i get the same thing as you h20 almost always hooked on front one
Old 07-28-06, 02:42 PM   #3
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lightbulb

A bass (or other predatory fish) usually takes his prey in headfirst, hence the preonderance of "front hooking".
Why does he do this? A: The prey cannot swim/wiggle out of danger. B: The prey's fins fold BACK. This prevents the prey from getting stuck in the predator's gullet and causing injury or death.
This is why some strikes, particularly those of spotted bass and smallies, seems so violent when fishing a crankbait or any other lure being steadily retrieved.

Go get 'em!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-06, 02:50 PM   #4
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod
A bass (or other predatory fish) usually takes his prey in headfirst, hence the preonderance of "front hooking".
Why does he do this? A: The prey cannot swim/wiggle out of danger. B: The prey's fins fold BACK. This prevents the prey from getting stuck in the predator's gullet and causing injury or death.
This is why some strikes, particularly those of spotted bass and smallies, seems so violent when fishing a crankbait or any other lure being steadily retrieved.

Go get 'em!

FR
\
Thanks, but I think Bass almost always hits the rear hook of crankbaits.
Old 07-28-06, 03:04 PM   #5
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O
\
Thanks, but I think Bass almost always hits the rear hook of crankbaits.
Not in my experience, but, hey, it's only been 50+ years, . However, a crank's bill MIGHT impede a front-hooking if hit head on. SOME smaller prey are "snuck up on", nabbed from ambush, or chased down from behind and this too might account for your experience, especially if you are "burning" the billed crank or something like a Trap, and even moreso if the lure is a smaller one.
I maintain that a predator prefers to engulf his munchie-of-the-moment from the front. Your experience with an X-Rap is a case in point.
As yew kneaux, the X-Rap and similar baits (Rogue, for example,) are normally fished with a stop-and-go retrieve, often with lonnnnnng pauses. Now, this retrieve often represents the actions of an ill/wounded/disoriented prey. "OK" sez Mister or Mrs Bass, "I can take the target the way I want...head first."
However he/she/it is hooked, enjoy!

FR
Old 07-28-06, 04:53 PM   #6
pig n jig

You have to go to get back.If those hooks anit hooking, you anit catching.If you anit catching , you just fishing.Fishing is fun, but catching is better, so let the hooks do the hooking whatever end they're on as long as you is catching and not just fishing ? Does that make any sense ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-06, 05:09 PM   #7
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I wonder if its possible the bigger front hook on most crankbaits is what gets them, due to size...try throwing a rattling rogue day n and day out, you soon discover those back hooks get stuck to the gillplate, the middle gets buried in the face, and the front in the side of the mouth rofl...I'm not convinced in my personal history of bass fishing that they have a great percentage of front hook ups, however I have seen hank parker and the rest of the tv guys always "ooh" n awwhh when the bass is hooked only by the back hooks, like they just barely wanted the bait.... I think many trebles become unhooked during the fight and end up somewhere else on the mouth or face during the battle, and once you got her in your hands.
For the new forum members that would like to learn more about jerk bait fishing, heres an excellant article on the subject matter

http://www.insideline.net/articles/jerkbaits.htm
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-06, 05:13 PM   #8
CarpMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
You have to go to get back.If those hooks anit hooking, you anit catching.If you anit catching , you just fishing.Fishing is fun, but catching is better, so let the hooks do the hooking whatever end they're on as long as you is catching and not just fishing ? Does that make any sense ? P N J

Fly Rod did a fine job explaining his view on this subject. But you pnj, refined it to a point that a hillbilly hooker would have no problem understanding. And Zook says I’m crazy as a chit house rat. roflmao
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-06, 05:29 PM   #9
pig n jig

Carpy, I think I owe you an Thank you.Its not everyday I can write something down on this keyboard and have someone follow as to where I'm going with it.I tend to think I do my best thinking in the outhouse, but we anit got no electric to it.Do they sell keyboards with a 150 foot cord for your computer ?. P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 07-28-06 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-28-06, 07:02 PM   #10
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

a jerk bait has less lip and is normally worked shallower than most crank baits. because of the way they are in a horizonal position the bass will dill it head on or from below.. alot of crankbaits are fished with a steady retrive. the bait runs in a bill down attitude. a bass hitting a crank actually hits the bait in the side/back. the bass has to close his mouth for the front hook the actually get inside his mouth.

zooker
Old 07-28-06, 09:48 PM   #11
H2O

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I wonder if its possible the bigger front hook on most crankbaits is what gets them, due to size...try throwing a rattling rogue day n and day out, you soon discover those back hooks get stuck to the gillplate, the middle gets buried in the face, and the front in the side of the mouth rofl...I'm not convinced in my personal history of bass fishing that they have a great percentage of front hook ups, however I have seen hank parker and the rest of the tv guys always "ooh" n awwhh when the bass is hooked only by the back hooks, like they just barely wanted the bait.... I think many trebles become unhooked during the fight and end up somewhere else on the mouth or face during the battle, and once you got her in your hands.
For the new forum members that would like to learn more about jerk bait fishing, heres an excellant article on the subject matter

http://www.insideline.net/articles/jerkbaits.htm
That's a great acticle for sure! I still remember that I was printing this acticle on my school computer lab while taking a business class.
Old 07-28-06, 10:10 PM   #12
bassking22

That truly is a great article! Thanks for the great read.
bassking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-06, 05:30 PM   #13
bassnman30

Often bass that will hit a certain color may take the bait without hesitation. However, if the bait is not exactly the same color that he wants
the fish may hit the back hook. In these type situations, I try to change colors but not much,i.e. blue back vs. black back. Thats sometimes all that is required.
Granted, thats for lipped crankbaits.
Old 07-30-06, 01:01 PM   #14
FlyRod

Y'know, if given the choice I'd prefer all my bass (ALL THREE OF 'EM) be hooked on the hindmost hooks. Why? (I hear you wonder) Well, usually one need only remove ONE hook or set of trebles from the critter.
All too often, when a fish is hooked on the forward trebles, the other hooks are buried in a cheek, pectoral, or other part of the poor debbil. This is especially so when tossing a fairly long lure, such as a DD22, Spook, etc.
Yeah, but...I know that it MIGHT be easier for a bass to throw a lure when hooked on the rear-most impalement device, but skilled fighting will prevent most such occurences.
Now, if I could ONLY develop fighting skills that didn't involve a tank.

Rod.F
Tanker Emeritus
Old 07-30-06, 01:49 PM   #15
bassking22

True, I would also rather have a lessened chance of landing a fish than land him, and have him hooked badly, more than once.
Old 07-30-06, 05:07 PM   #16
Rodman_Rob

I think some of you don't realize how often a fish will become hooked and unhooked from one hook to the other on a cranbait, jerk bait, rattle trap. sometimes they get the front hook first, sometimes the middle (if you have more than 2 trebles depending on size of bait), sometimes last. just depends how the fish is feeding, or if they're just striking the bait to kill it (not necessarily eat though), nudging the bait, etc.
Old 07-30-06, 09:32 PM   #17
pig n jig

Anyone ever bring a fish all of the way to the boat without amy hooks on the crankbait ?I haven't done it, But I have seen it done while we were prefishing for a tournament.P N J
Old 07-30-06, 09:39 PM   #18
bassking22

A hookless crankbait, how do you set the hook, and catch the fish? lol
Old 07-31-06, 12:38 AM   #19
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassking22
A hookless crankbait, how do you set the hook, and catch the fish? lol
Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry carefully!

FR
Old 07-31-06, 03:49 AM   #20
KenDammit

lol

Flyrod, your previous post reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite for some reason...I think it was the skilled fighting comment. To get more skilled, just use a Bo-staff
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.