Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-07, 08:57 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default losing hooks

if you fish the nasty stuff as much as i do you are bound to lose alot of hooks.. according to my log book my one day worst losing section was on high rock 14 jigs and a 2 lucky craft cb-ouch!- i normally lose texas rigs hand over fist when dock fishin. but it has not been an issue this year.. now for the longest life on my hooks i would have to say

i use a red gammy ewg superbraid 4/0 hook on the frog. in the last 2 years i have used the same hook on the frog retying and sharpening as needed. but it is the same hook i tied on 2 marchs ago. i looked back thru my fishin log book this single hook has caught over 1000 bass in the last two years.-1058 actually- consitering the crap i fish a frog in this is mind blowing.. i never thought it would have lasted that long but it has..

oh yeah for you guys who are keeping count of your fish. let me know when you catch more than 2000 then i will tell ya how many i have this year alone..

zooker
Old 12-09-07, 09:52 PM   #2
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice I only keep track of keeper size fish wich is in indiana any fish over 14" on lakes and 12" on rivers and my total this year was 187 over 14 and 19 over 12 (only on rivers)total 206 I wish it was 2000 I would have made an lot more money.
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 10:11 PM   #3
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That's a helluva lot of fish, but i really think the hook thing is even more mind-boggling, I'm not sure I've ever had a hook last two trips... well maybe two trips, but not much more!
Old 12-09-07, 10:35 PM   #4
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i use a red gammy ewg superbraid 4/0 hook on the frog. in the last 2 years i have used the same hook on the frog retying and sharpening as needed. but it is the same hook i tied on 2 marchs ago. i looked back thru my fishin log book this single hook has caught over 1000 bass in the last two years.-1058 actually- consitering the crap i fish a frog in this is mind blowing.. i never thought it would have lasted that long but it has..

zooker

Dam! I thought a Gammy was good for 10, maybe 20 fish! I usually use about 1-3/0 hooks so, they are pretty thin, and a bony jaw usuall tears 'em up. I imagine the superbraid ones are a little stronger to withhold the no-stretch braid.

-LL-
Old 12-09-07, 11:58 PM   #5
bassinbob

Call Guiness this has got to be a record. Something I never do and should-sharpen hooks. I just tie on a new one. I have had the same hook tied on for a while but nowhere near that amount of fish. That reminds me of the commercial for the gum with the lasting flavor. Picture in your mind Zook on his boat catching all those fish and some little Japanese guy hollering at the sporting goods salesman for selling him Gammys.
Old 12-10-07, 12:16 AM   #6
Bender

Have you tried those special split rings that release the hooks when you pull hard enough? They are different looking and I can try to find the info if you want.
P.S. That is a lot of fish, let me get back to you after the ice( you didn't specify bass) fishing season. ;-) j/k
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 09:35 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

http://www.lakeforktackle.com/ultimateluresaver.html

Theres a site that has them on it. Personally, I wouldn't trust them though.

BB
Old 12-10-07, 11:33 AM   #8
bassnman30

You should be in a club. You'd win alot of tournaments plus points champion of the year for sure.
Our points champion only had 4 lbs more than me last year, but he did beat my record. I'll tell him about this post and chances are that he'll give you a call requesting info. about bass fishing. I'd like to hear more myself, and your the one who can give it.
Old 12-10-07, 04:33 PM   #9
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

By the way Guys, I just got a pack(4) of the Superline EWG 4/0 at Cabela's today. I was going to get the hooks with rings on them, but I did not. Anyway, what is up with the ringed hooks?

-LL-
Old 12-10-07, 06:08 PM   #10
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Call Guiness this has got to be a record. Something I never do and should-sharpen hooks. I just tie on a new one.
I use heavy line and pull harder on the hookset as the hook gets duller. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 06:09 PM   #11
Bender

I'm going to try them, especially on $$$ baits. One guy I fished with last summer ran those on his Carolina Chip's baits and he never lost a fish.
But we don't have those 10 lb. toads like you guys down south either.

Do you have a plug knocker Zooker?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 06:54 PM   #12
zooker

3 why...

zooker
Old 12-10-07, 07:59 PM   #13
Raul

Loosing 14 jigs and two cbs in a day is close to be a record, but thatīs what they are for, if you ainīt hanging up you ainīt feeshin where they are. I do remember loosing 5 jigs and 10 T-rigs to the same rocks & couple of submerged trees right next to a submerged creek channel in my home lake but thatīs where the fish were so ......... a man has to do what he gotta do.

Another lake I fished in my youth was so choked with brush that even spinnerbaits hung up, now the same lake almost 20 years later is practically devoid of cover, all that brush just rotted away.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.