Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-09, 09:51 PM   #1
jdk426
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1995 Suzuki 85HP oil injected

I know im probally gonna catch grief. i purchased the boat with the motor. Now ive had the carbs cleaned. After they were cleaned it was running fine in the water for a day or two. second or third day on the water it starts to bog down at low idle speed and die. Ontop of excessive smoke and gas smell coming from carbs im assuming. This is only on takeoff/idle/reverse/and no wake speed. I am clueless as to what to aim at now. I believe its running too rich,but im not good enough to adjust the screws to exact settings. Also would that be an issue for the raw gasoline smell? Any helps ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated .Thanks, Jerry
jdk426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-09, 06:47 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the boards. Ok need some info before I start yacking. Did this boat sit for awhile with gas in it????? If so was the old gas siphoned out????? Also did they just clean the carbs or rebuild em?????? Thiose 85 suzuki's run very well for what they are but if the boat sat fer awhile with old fuel.....well answer the questions I have and lets see ifn I cant get ya back up and running.
Old 08-10-09, 05:26 PM   #3
jdk426
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes it did sit for awhile. And i siphoned out what i could. The mechanic that looked at it said the motor has been completely overhauled and they did a damn fine job. He also noted that he couldnt pin point the problem. He is thinking something electrical. He's only a shade tree mechanic. As for the moment i cant afford to get it looked at by a certified tech. I dont think its anything major. And i wouldnt hesitate to take it out on any body of water right now. Its just not running 100% . I think im running a bit rich...well i know that i am. But yes 1FAST it did sit for awhile. And i did not siphon out all 100% of the old gasoline. I got id say 90-95% of it and diluted it with some fresh gasoline. I was also suggested to maybe put a water/fuel seperator that it might be my problem. But i dont think that would have anything to do with the raw gasoline smell i smell at idle and no wake speed correct?
jdk426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-09, 06:23 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Raw gas = stuck float needles or floats not operating correctly or possibly the fact of incorrect float levels...in other words something is not closing off and allowing way to much fuel to enter combustion chamber. MAYBE just MAYBE a good dose of Seafoam might dislodge whatever is in there if it is a foregin material.....if not gonna have to rebuild the carbs I am afraid.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.