Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-10, 05:24 PM   #1
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Keel guard recommendations

So with the big new-to-me boat, I'll have to launch a little differently than I did with my little 14' boat. Some of the process will probably need to involve me beaching the boat, since a couple of ramps close to me either don't have a dock to tie up to, or if they do, you block all of one ramp when you tie off. So, I need a keelguard so I can beach it on the ramp or somewhere close while I go park the truck.
Who has a keelguard, what kind is it, and do you like it or not? How'd the installation go, etc...? Thanks.
Old 05-19-10, 06:11 PM   #2
Captmikestarrett

I have always wanted one for my Mako..

I too am interested in the replys.

Capt Mike
Old 05-19-10, 06:30 PM   #3
bassboogieman

In my opinion the original Hamby's DEALER INSTALLED is the best of the bunch. They are also the most expensive ($600 +) but it is the thickest, best protection you can put on a 'glass boat. Had one on my previous boat and if I was buying new I'd spend the money - you can run up on a concrete ramp or gravel bottoms to beach it with no worries. FOR MIKE: it's also helpful when navigating through all the springtime junk on the Potomac, was there a couple years ago and man that river moves a lot of crap (pun intended) down from DC during the spring rains. OK, that said, my 21' boat I purchased used - it has a Keel Shield on it, and it's 10 years old with no issues. Still tightly adhered to the hull and isn't dinged up that much. It's thinner, and I think a harder rubber (but that could be age) than the original Hambys and this one was installed by the dealer so it's a "pro" install. I have read that many have successfully done the self-install with the Keel Shield with little problem. Hamby's also sells a self-install keel protectior. I think either of those would be just fine. One thing about the Keel Shield - it comes in several colors. The original Hamby's I believe only comes in black. The self-install, I'm not certain if there are color options. But be sure a keel protector is a NECESSARY option on a 'glass boat. I have not heard very many "good" reviews from individuals that have use the Keel Guard, so I'd stick to either of the first two I mentioned.
Headed for the Potomac in the morning - I hear the frog bite is starting, wish me luck!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 12:20 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I too would go with the Hamby's if at all possible, not that the other brands out there aren't good but Hamby's are the best. My Ranger I just traded off had one and so does the Triton I just got and I won't ever own a boat without one now.

No help here with install but I am sure you can find a lot of good stuff on the internet, probably even find some videos on youtube.
Old 05-20-10, 01:04 PM   #5
riverfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

I installed mine on my Triton by myself. I installed a Megaware Keel Guard about 3 years ago the thing is still stuck and working great. I wanna say with prep it might have taken an hour and a half from start to finish just follow directions step by step.
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.