Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-10, 11:03 AM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Installing a fish finder

I just picked up a lowrance x-65 with transducer for $20. One of the guys in my club updated his and gave me a good deal on it.
It appears fairly easy to do. But wanted to ask if there are any land mines that I should be aware of before setting it up.

Additionally, since this is going to be the only electronics on this boat (for now) where do you guys think the is the best place to put it. I am debating between the console and the bow. I can see advantages and disadvantages to both.
Old 05-13-10, 11:28 AM   #2
MississippiBoy

I spend the majority of my time on the bow fishing, so that's where I'd mount it, if it were me. Put the transducer on the trolling motor so you've got good info about what's right under you, not what you've already floated over and it now several yards behind. But if you'd rather tool around with the big motor and find structure, then mount it by the console, and put the transducer on the transom.

OR, mount it in front and put the hear unit on a swivel mount so you can flip it down/around to be viewable from the driver's seat. That may give you a little more flexibility.
Old 05-13-10, 06:22 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i agree with ssissippiboy here. you are gonna be at the bow most of the time right? do you have a depth finder (sonar) at your console? if oyu do that will show you the depth as you are cruising the waters.
Old 05-15-10, 07:07 AM   #4
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

i would put it on the console on a ram mount it will rotate to the front when you get to where you are going, and put the transducer on the back of the boat cause if it is your only fish finder then your used to not having 1. i'd be more worried about how to get there then when i'm there whats right under me that instanta couple yards isn't that big a deal
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 09:33 AM   #5
nova385
BassFishin.Com Active Member

unless you do a lot of jig type fishing right under the boat (in fairly deep water), I would mount it at the console with a ram mount that will turn. I have a bow and console mounted units but I find I only use the console mounted one and turn it when Im up front fishing.
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 08:42 PM   #6
cassidyta

Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting an additional transducer for $10. It was for the same model finder, but the screen was broken. For now, I will just move it from console (without bracket) to bow (with bracket) as needed. I put quick connect wires in both locations.
Old 05-22-10, 06:22 PM   #7
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Cass, they are easy to install. One land mine: If you are mounting it to shoot through the hull make 100% sure there are NO BUBBLES in the epoxy you use. Otherwise you will get some strange readings. I prefer to mount it in the water so I can get the water temp.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.