Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-11, 02:33 AM   #1
Strike_King 609
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default off topic need advice

So some of you know I have been looking for a house for about 2 months know but here's is what I have run into. I have found a couple of houses in Hamilton but there not really what I had in mind the school system from what I hear is mild at best. the taxes are around 6200.
I have been looking other place such as Jackson and Burlington twp. In Jackson the houses seem to be giving me more for my money. an the taxes are cheaper. By 3500. School seem decent according to state scores. But I think that what I would save in taxes I would spend in gas drive to Lawrence everyday to work like a 45 min ride.
Now Burlington Twp taxes are high but the homes are less and that about a at 30 min ride.

So my question is what would you do if you where me. Would you spend the money to stay close by. Or would you take the ride to work to maybe save a couple of bucks in the end. Then you add in the fishing holes if I stay in Hamilton I;m central to all the big lakes here in Mercer. If I move to Jackson there's the resovor . Not really to sure about Burlington I have been told there are a few lakes there to fish.
An advice you could give would be greatly approached
Old 03-14-11, 08:59 AM   #2
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The commute will kill you. Not worth 10 hrs of your life a week stuck in a car.

Find a happy middle ground and a house that will not require too much work.

Capt Mike
Old 03-14-11, 09:45 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I drove 90 miles round trip to work for the last 12 years, the drive WAS a PITA, but the price of gas the last few years was a killer to my budget. 25 gallons of gas, every week, JUST to go to work - that's right off the top, like taxes - and I won't fit in a small, fuel efficient vechile, so that sucked. With the price of gas rising like a helium ballon into the sky a long commute is a definite minus when relocating.

Taxes are another big consideration. With the Feds and States cutting their budgets, and local governments also strapped for revenue, LOCAL taxes (especially school taxes) are likely to rise over the next few years, some loctions may see significant increases as local government seeks to fund areas formerly subsidized by state and Federal funds. If you choose a property that has a steep tax burden now, it will only get worse - taxes NEVER go down on property. In the last 3 years with the economy tanking the housing market, my home has lost 20% of it's value, while my taxes have RISEN a similiar 20%.

Bottom line, I'd look for something relatively close to work, with as low a tax burden as you can find. The housing market is a buyer's market right now with a lot of choices, and mortgage interest rates are at the lowest I've ever seen. Depending upon your fininacial situation you may be tempted to buy more house than you need, the HOUSE MONKEY is much more evil than the BAIT MONKEY so be careful and watch the tax burden that comes with a larger house. While you may be able to afford a big house with 6K tax burden right now, I would expect taxes will impact every homeowner significantly in the next few years.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-14-11 at 09:51 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 10:54 AM   #4
dhaddix
BassFishin.Com Member

Believe it or not, I used to live in Jackson, NJ when I was the teaching professional at Metedeconk National Golf Club. Jackson is an ok place, although if you actually want to do anything you have to go to Freehold.

My experience wasn't the best in Jackson because I was coming up there from Kentucky and didn't really know what to expect. I rented a 1 bedroom apartment for like $1000/month, and little did I know that I would be living in a less than desireable location. The apartment was terrible and I guess it kind of skewed my perception of the area, although the area around the golf course was nice.

I am not sure what major thoroughfare you will be using to get to work? Do you know what the traffic is going to be like, etc..?

Sorry, not much of a contribution to the topic, but I guess what I am saying is if you have questions about Jackson, I may be able to help you out some.
dhaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 04:09 AM   #5
Strike_King 609
BassFishin.Com Active Member

thanks for the advice guys i think we found one

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.