Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-11, 09:39 PM   #1
BBD
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default I need help, guys!

First off, I've only fished this pond on two other occasions and have caught one 3lber off a swim jig and lost another fish the second time out. This pond is at least 12 years old at minimum in my opinion. Depth is 9ft at the center and around 5-7ft right up to the bank. It drops off almost immediately. I'd say it's about 12acres give or take.

So I get out there today at 7am. Moon phase chart indicated that today had prime hours of 8-10am. I fished until 10 and not a damn bite. trolled the pond 3 times in a circle. It really pissed me off! I threw everything. I didn't try a dropshot, C-RIG, and a few other methods, though. I may give those a try next time out.

I threw:

cranks
Swimjigs
top water poppers
frogs
spinner baits
Flukes (weightless/t-rigged)
Senkos
T-rigged worms (weighted/unweighted)
1 ounce pegged brushhog trying to punch mats but those mats weren't punchable - LOL

The fish are still spawning here. There are beds all over the place at some of the shallower ponds I visit. Plus, there are those familiar schools of fresh hatchlings swimming everywhere. I know that you gotta damn near drop a bait on their heads when they're in this mode but damn, I'm trying to catch some fish. I know there's some quality fish in there, I just have to catch em!

School me here fellas.

Last edited by BBD; 03-21-11 at 10:56 PM.
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 10:47 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

if the bass are ON bed, it is gonna be HARD to catch one buddy. a long time ago, i was fishing a pond very similer to this one, i had a 8" MANNS GRAPE JELLY worm texas rigged. threw it ON the bed. she would grab the tail and swim it off her bed and drop it. 45 mins of doing htis and i gave up. waited till late fall, she was still there. again, same bait,same place same technique. she did the same thing for over an hour. someitmes you just can't get the fish to bite. it happens man.
Old 03-21-11, 11:52 PM   #3
keithdog

Sounds like your doing about everything a guy can do. How clear is the water? Maybe you need to hit it in low light conditions. If you have a sonar on your boat, I'd spend some time while the bass are bedding and start exploring, studying and mapping out the lake, taking notes on any irregular bottom features you might want to go back to and try out.
Old 03-23-11, 05:19 PM   #4
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That's some sweet looking water.

Don't think about what you threw but where you threw it and at what speed you retrieved the bait.

I had a tough weekend because the baits I was throwing needed to be worked much quicker than I was expecting. If I worked the baits slowly, nothing, but I did see some fish ease up and take a look at the baits. So I sped up and at high speed I caught fish.
Also location was a factor. The fish I caught were on brush piles or wood. That's it. I fished rock, points, drops, channels and nothing until I fished brush piles and stumps.
Old 03-23-11, 07:19 PM   #5
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sometimes clear water and one has to speed the bait up so they dont quite get a good look at it,sounds like horny toad or ribbet versus floater frog.
Bass are with eggs here now in Tn,in fla would have thought be over,or about over.
And yes am a frogman ,I believe theirs a frog built for every occasion.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 07:42 PM   #6
BBD

Appreciate the feedback! Going to head out there again on Friday and try to redeem myself.
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 07:59 PM   #7
Bassboss

Spawning fish are hard to catch, you'll be lucky to get one! I've found that your best bet is to get a burner spinnerbait (like Strike King's), or a lipless crankbait, and just tare through the place. Also a 4" or 5" senko bait right on the edges of the weed beds can be killer. A color that would intimate a minnow is great. If it comes to a bed, the bass is bound to slurp it up. Make sure to use braided line too. Keep a CLOSE watch on the line, they're grab it and spit it out quicker than you can react sometime. With out braid it'll be hard to get a fast hook set into 'em.
Old 03-23-11, 08:49 PM   #8
Lvitch

If you can't find em deep, frog n flip that gator grass. Yeah its thick, and you may need 1-2oz to punch through, but they will sit under the edges, or the thickest parts.
Old 03-23-11, 09:05 PM   #9
M_A_C_K

When the fish are bedding one of your best bets is to get a strike out of anger, let a jig sink to the bottom and twitch it hard so they have a hard time gettin close enough to take a bite the first couple twitches. Or put a finesse worm on and drop it near there bed and barely twitch it about every 40 seconds... sometimes when they get tight lipped they just want somthing that barely moves...
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 09:05 PM   #10
flukefreak
BassFishin.Com Member

dynamite !!!!!it'll get em everytime
flukefreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.