Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-11, 11:01 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default who is ready?

what i mean is who is actually ready for some serious bass fishing. i know there are a few of us here that have already been a few times. but there is a front moving through. and i just wanted toknow who thinks the time is actually here for some REAL fishing. "they" say this is DOGWOOD WINTER we are getting now. then there is BLACKBERRY WINTER yet to come. considering the last couple of years and how the weather has been through those winters. who here truly think that the warming trend is here and the bass are bedding or going on bed or pre spawning?
what i am wanting to know is this...........is the time right or not?
and are YOU ready? how long till you are if you aren't now?
give me your thoughts on the weatehr and bedding times gang.
Old 03-23-11, 11:18 PM   #2
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Its in full swing here, there killing a jerk bait as you could tell from the pic i sent ya haha...smallmouth are goin crazy right now.
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 08:08 AM   #3
JESTERxHEAD
BassFishin.Com Member

I am ready!!!!!! I will be musky fishing sunday with a good friend of mine. once in a while you will catch a bass on a 10" buck tail (bass has a lot of heart) hahahahaha.

The mississippi river is going to be in shambles...

We are near flood stage now and the snow up north keeps coming and has not melted yet. We are supposed to gain a foot of water each day for 2 weeks!!!!!! They predict record floods by 3 feet....

Now that may mess up the fishing just a tad.

But that wont stop me from fishing... I have everything in my boat, rods re-strung....I cant wait....
JESTERxHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 10:17 AM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think the fish are ready even if we arnt,high water has been here and now going down,ky lake main lake temp is 56-57 with back ends of bays at low 60s,some fish with eggs.
Cold front moving in but just will spread out the spawn,which should be in swing by first of april here,about a week or so early.
Honestly believe with largies with eggs some smallies have started.
With the high water many missed the tell tale signs of the fish moving in,they are however in the backs of some bays already in 4 ft of water.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 10:50 AM   #5
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
what i mean is who is actually ready for some serious bass fishing. i know there are a few of us here that have already been a few times. but there is a front moving through. and i just wanted toknow who thinks the time is actually here for some REAL fishing. "they" say this is DOGWOOD WINTER we are getting now. then there is BLACKBERRY WINTER yet to come. considering the last couple of years and how the weather has been through those winters. who here truly think that the warming trend is here and the bass are bedding or going on bed or pre spawning?
what i am wanting to know is this...........is the time right or not?
and are YOU ready? how long till you are if you aren't now?
give me your thoughts on the weatehr and bedding times gang.
Wake me when it's May 28.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 10:55 AM   #6
Cavs1123

Give it about 3 weeks and then we will be slaying them!!!
Old 03-24-11, 03:49 PM   #7
3dkicker

I'm looking at snow on the forecast right now but that's nothing new. In '90 I played an April rugby game in snow flurries. I was told that VA Tech had snow flurries on graduation day that year and moved it indoors. I've fished many March tournaments with ice or snow on the deck.
Starting April 2nd I should be out every weekend. Then I've got a week off in late April so I'll be out for up to 10 days. Got a mid-week club tourne that I'll fish with my father that week. Also can't wait until May and June. Best time of the year on the river!!
Old 03-24-11, 04:14 PM   #8
cassidyta

The first wave of our spawn is over and there are fry in the water. I expect that we will have about another week until it is completely done in most of our lakes. A few of the higher elevation lakes are probably a few weeks behind and should be sapwning through mid april.

To answer you question, I am ready! Heading out on Saturday or Sunday hoping to slay em.
Old 03-24-11, 05:11 PM   #9
MIbasser

Give me 5 weeks and 2 days and I'll let you know....
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 08:36 PM   #10
rrw4258

Well, i guess I have to be ready... first tournament on Saturday, with a high of 34 and a low of 18... brrr.... here we go!

Ryan
Old 03-24-11, 09:28 PM   #11
Frogman20
BassFishin.Com Member

Ice is just breaking here probably have another 3 weeks or so before the fishing starts.
Old 03-24-11, 10:10 PM   #12
keithdog

I'm ready and have caught 7 bass so far. The ice has been off the lake for only 7 days now so it's slow going, but they are catchable. At least they were. The next 5 nights are supposed to drop into the low 20's again, and it was snowing all night here last night. In fact, it's 24 outside right now as I sit here. What this week of deep chill will do to the bass I don't know. I do know I won't be sitting in my boat on the water with temps hovering around 30 degrees for our daily high. But I am soooo ready to do so!!! The spawn usually occures here sometime in May.
Old 03-25-11, 03:16 PM   #13
WaffleJaw

John as you know Ive been in full swing for awhile now...My training has lead to this moment...If anything touches my jig...Its coming out!...This poor guy found out the hard way last night.

Jrob and I have been catching some healthy bass here lately and its only getting better.
And sometimes I actually catch one of em.

Old 03-25-11, 03:57 PM   #14
HarveysMinnow

Bama, the only way I know when it's time to catch Bass is to go fishing and see what happens. Interesting that you mentioned dogwood winter and blackberry winter. Also part of the folklore around this area swears that it never gets warm to stay until after Easter. If that's true, we have about another month, with Easter coming unusually late this year. I fished briefly one week ago, and didn't even get a nibble. Of course, the lake I was fishing has never been a big producer, so go figure. The recent days we've had in the low 80's have surely warmed the water somewhat, so I'm thinking any day now could be time to try again.

Old 03-25-11, 10:45 PM   #15
bamabassman

well thank you gang. i jsut wanted to know exactly what oyu all are posting. as far as ready here...........LISA IS ON FIRE!! look for the thread ont he bragging board.
Old 03-26-11, 09:08 PM   #16
boloson

went shore fishing today in 37 degree weather. water was freezing & knew i wasn't going to catch anything but i mainly did it to try out all my new gear & lures that had been hibernating. it felt good just to be on the water again
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 10:39 PM   #17
bamabassman

that's the spirit boloson!!! i wanted to go today, but we got lightening storms rolling through ALL FREAKING DAY till sometime tomorrow morning. high tomorrow is only gonna be around 55. winds are gonna be crazy too. *sigh* guess i'll wait till next weekend. or may take rig to work like i did friday.
Old 03-27-11, 12:38 AM   #18
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
that's the spirit boloson!!! i wanted to go today, but we got lightening storms rolling through ALL FREAKING DAY till sometime tomorrow morning. high tomorrow is only gonna be around 55. winds are gonna be crazy too. *sigh* guess i'll wait till next weekend. or may take rig to work like i did friday.
Hmm...bring rig to work sounds like a plan. I work nights & I always wanted to try night fishing so I'll have to give that a whirl sometimes. Spring should be here any moment now
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 09:54 PM   #19
M_A_C_K

The lakes are still frozen here in michigan ... it was warm for a week and they were almost melted then we got 22 degree weather with snow coming down... depressing... i need to fish but i'll just keep tying my jigs so im more prepared which isnt all that bad i guess.
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.