Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-08, 07:47 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Rod Rack

Well, it's about time for Bass Season here up North, and with the three rods I've accumulated this Winter, I need a rod rack in my boat. With me and my Dad, and eight rods in a 14' Sea Nymph, it can get tricky. I'll post a few pictures later. Please see if you can help me construct or buy a rod rack.

Thanks,

-Lunk-
Old 03-02-08, 07:53 PM   #2
lunker-lander

And I thought I'd throw in the South-Eastern Michigan sunset.

Old 03-02-08, 09:00 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

lunker the best place i see is where your paddles are . go to wally world and get 2 rodmans and screw them on the braces holding your paddles. you have the paddles under the braces. you only need 2 sets, costs under 50 bucks. holds 6 rods apiece, that's 12 rods in all. good luck pal.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 09:09 PM   #4
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'd think about mounting 1.5 "pvc down the sides to slide the rods into and keep em from tangling
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 09:37 PM   #5
lunker-lander

That's a good idea, Boater! Thanks!

-Lunk-
Old 03-04-08, 11:54 AM   #6
Nitro911
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

What is all of that white stuff on the ground?
Old 03-04-08, 07:37 PM   #7
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

With 8 rods, its probably gonna be tricky no matter what you do.

Here are some things you need to consider. First, should you not be talking about 2 racks, since there are two fishermen, I would think 1 in the front and one in the back? You want the rods to be easily accesable without moving around too much, so work from the premise of having 4 handles, to the rods you would use, within reach of you at the front, and 4, the ones your father would use, in reach of him in the back.

Next, this isn't gonna be like a fiberglass boat. Forget it, not enough space. The most important thing, then, that yall will need to remember to keep from getting tangled up is to have hook keepers on all the rods and use them. When you have lures dangling at the end of a rod with other rods close by, your gonna get hung up. Use those hook keepers and wind the line around the guides to prevent line from wanting to get hung up. The extra 15 seconds that will take you (more time than it will take for me to explain it) will save you the biggest mess.

Now, you have a rudimentary fron deck which will make the style of rod keeper pretty easy. What I would do is build this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0730.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1993
The brown lines represent rods. All it is is a divider, carpeted over there in the corner of the fron deck, where you are able to stash the handles of your rods. You just lay them down together, and since you take a couple seconds to wind that line around the guides and use the hook keepers, you can keep them together. Same deal in the back of the boat if you can imagine.

Its not really even a rack, I've used racks before and they are a hassle to, its just an area to accumulate your rod handles so that they stay relativly put. You just grab a rod when you need it and drop the one you were using right there in that corner.
Old 03-04-08, 10:04 PM   #8
lunker-lander

That is what we normally do, WTL. It seems to be a hassle after a while; plus, I don't want tips stepped on...

-Lunk-

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.