Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-08, 04:38 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Brutal!

Hey, we just got back from the cattle pond here, temp at 40 with a steady 20 mph SouthEast wind. Got the boat loaded and the water had a great murk to it, perfect for a spinnerbait, except just alittle to early (water temp 39) or so.
Supposed to get snow tomorrow, so it was super nice n sunny to get out today..
Denny bought a pack of storm swimbaits, bluegill with a chartreuse tail.
About the 3 inch size. Neither one of us had ever thrown that brand or size, and first cast Denny nails a keeper, whitish in color from being deep all winter.
We fished a ledge that was way off bank but will only 5-7 feet deep.
He ended up with 3 and I got skunked for the day, but had a few questions bout swimbaits..
Most of the fish that hit (i had two that hit and i missed at the boat)
merely picked up the swimbait and swam towards us.
I'll have to read the achieves in here more about swimbaits, but
basically I was surprised to see them swimming towards us with the bait.
I knew from past readings that most anglers let the swimbait sink to the bottom and from there you work it slow and hop it off the bottom.
The problem with this big pond was all the vegetation and slime that grows couple feet thick (still there this time of year, it gets worse in summer).
So, everytime we let it hit bottom, the lure gets covered in green stuff.
We were forced just to swim it along.
My question is this, after the strike do you hesitate and keep reeling, and then set the hook straight up or use the usually sweeping motion like a crankbait.
I had a nice one on that hardly felt much of a bite, then saw the line coming right at the boat, then lost it.
Of course I realize the low water temps and early spring conditions have the bass sluggish, but was interested to find out who on the forum has the swimbaits figured out ..thanks for any info..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 06:33 PM   #2
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Thats awesome that you got to go JB. I wouldn't say I've got them "figured out", but I have caught a few fish on swimbaits, and have seen shows on swimbaits. I would wait until the fish has definitely got it, reel so your line is tight, and just pull to the side. That should get them in for you.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 06:55 PM   #3
zooker

no jb you have to fish them like a crankbait when they hit it drill 'em.. for some reason i have had this happen every time i fished swimbaits..

zooker
Old 03-22-08, 12:32 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

most all of my swimbait bites are violent (like i would imagine a peacock bass strike) but i have had them hit it like you described. as soon as you notice your line swimming just get the slack out as soon as you can and hammer him. you still may loose some just because it is hard to catch up with them sometimes but that should really help you out.
Old 03-22-08, 02:45 AM   #5
Rebbasser

I'm with C-rig. Most bites are either like a spinnerbait bite or the fish tries to tear the rod out of my hand. Haven't had one swim towards me yet, but I hope it happens.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.