Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-09, 07:47 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default A Spare Spool Costs How Much!!!!

I contacted daiwa about getting a spool for my Cabela's Prodigy reel and the cost was $37.45 plus shipping and handling. I thought this was an outrageous price for a spool. I would not have expected to pay that price for a spare spool. Has anybody else had to pay this much for a spare spool?

Ryan
Old 01-12-09, 08:21 PM   #2
pig_n_jig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I paid over $100 for a new spool before.It was a wiffle spool that the original partially collapsed from braided line.I think it was $140 to be exact.

My question is why would you buy another spare spool if there is nothing wrong with the one that is in it ? My personal opinion if actually a spare spool, you will have a heck of a time storing it where the line will reamin on it and safe enough to make sure the spool shaft doesn't get bent and then there is the chore of changing spools out in the field and rethreading the reel,rod guides and re rigging it to fish.It is not practical but what do I know ? P N J
Old 01-12-09, 08:56 PM   #3
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

All my spinning reels came with spare spools. At one time I had them spooled with mono or co-poly, and the other spool with braid. Once I settled on using only braid as my main line with a leader, the spare spools have never seen the light of day from the storage box in the closet. As far as a spare baitcasting spool, I never even bothered to check them out. If and when I need one, and they're priced around $100 or more, it's time for a new reel. It's just not cost effective.
Old 01-13-09, 02:09 PM   #4
rrw4258

I planned on using it for keeping flourocarbon on one spool and braid on the other... Just thought i would check on the price... but from your experiences it sounds like $38 is not too bad?

Ryan
Old 01-13-09, 02:50 PM   #5
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
I planned on using it for keeping flourocarbon on one spool and braid on the other... Just thought i would check on the price... but from your experiences it sounds like $38 is not too bad?

Ryan
No, itīs not too bad.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 03:33 PM   #6
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
No, itīs not too bad.
You never mentioned which model reel you have. What I would suggest before you go and buy that spare spool is to checkout how much a complete new reel costs. I'm assuming your talking about a spinning reel. For under a $100 you would have a complete spare that would let you expand to an additional setup as needed, and you end up with that spare spool anyway.
Old 01-13-09, 04:11 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

That doesn't sound too bad, and I know switching spools with the Daiwa reels isn't too hard. And I don't know if the Cabela's one is set up exactly like the Daiwa or not, but it shouldn't be too bad. Keep a small piece of electrical tape over the spool to keep the line on, and put it in a small plastic box, just big enough to hold it. I might even go as far as glueing some foam on the bottom and top of the box.

BB
Old 01-13-09, 06:43 PM   #8
rrw4258

The reel is a Cabela's Prodigy PRC 200. It is a caster. I can pick the reel up on sale for $69 with the regular price of $99... im probably just better off buying a whole new reel.

Ryan
Old 01-13-09, 07:01 PM   #9
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
The reel is a Cabela's Prodigy PRC 200. It is a caster. I can pick the reel up on sale for $69 with the regular price of $99... im probably just better off buying a whole new reel.

Ryan
Yep. But there is no spare spool as with a spinning reel. You're still way better off with a new reel. It's faster to change reels then spools in a baitcaster to start with.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.