Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-09, 02:55 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Broke rod to break into car

Monday morning started out horrible. I went outside to warm my car up. My car is currently parked outside since my side of the garage is full of fishing stuff right now. I accidently locked my keys in the car with the car running. I have a convertible and I can squeeze a thin diameter pole or stick between the window and the cushion foam but I just couldn't reach the door handle, lock or automatic window button with a coat hanger. I knew one of my rods would reach but i just didn't want to do it. Finally after around 30 minutes of tearing through the house and not finding anything that will work, I finally decided that I had to do the unthinkable. I made sure I grabbed my least expensive rod and bent each guide inwards so that it would fit through the small opening between the window and foam. It worked. I was able to push the automatic window button and get into my car but three of the guides broke during the process. The rod that was used was a $30 two piece Ugly stick. Now I need a new rod that I can keep in the car for those spontaneous fishing trips while traveling for work. Sigh.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 04:09 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Oh man, that sucks. Why not look inot getting a pack rods. A lot of brands make then and you can get cheap $30 dollar ones, all the way up to G. Loomis ones.

BB
Old 01-13-09, 04:09 PM   #3
Earl Marshall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I believe I would have thrown my wife's clothes in the floor and used a clothes hanger before I destroyed a rod.
Earl Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 04:13 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
Monday morning started out horrible. I went outside to warm my car up. My car is currently parked outside since my side of the garage is full of fishing stuff right now. I accidently locked my keys in the car with the car running. I have a convertible and I can squeeze a thin diameter pole or stick between the window and the cushion foam but I just couldn't reach the door handle, lock or automatic window button with a coat hanger. I knew one of my rods would reach but i just didn't want to do it. Finally after around 30 minutes of tearing through the house and not finding anything that will work, I finally decided that I had to do the unthinkable. I made sure I grabbed my least expensive rod and bent each guide inwards so that it would fit through the small opening between the window and foam. It worked. I was able to push the automatic window button and get into my car but three of the guides broke during the process. The rod that was used was a $30 two piece Ugly stick. Now I need a new rod that I can keep in the car for those spontaneous fishing trips while traveling for work. Sigh.

I think He tried that.

BB
Old 01-13-09, 05:57 PM   #5
bassboogieman

You only have one key for your vehicle? I did that once when 100 miles from home - darn electric locks - also used a rod but didn't break it. I never go anywhere without a spare key since then. When I travel I have a spare to the truck in the boat, and a spare for the boat in the truck. When home the spares are on a key rack. Older vehicles with flat keys - carry a spare in your wallet, or get a small plastic bag and wire it someplace out of sight on the vehicle for just such emergencies.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 06:09 PM   #6
REDBULLCUBAN

Send a message via AIM to REDBULLCUBAN

oh the dang mondays!!!!! well at least its an excuse to get a new rod
Old 01-13-09, 06:35 PM   #7
Fishnngolfn

I tried to get the salesman to give me a second one when I purchased the car back in 2002 but he only had one and said he would order me another one (yeah right). I checked with Ford now and a spare key for my car would cost $100. It has one of those chips in it that is needed to start the car. I guess I could get one made just to unlock the doors and not start the car. Lesson learned. I am going to replace the rod with one that is better.
Old 01-13-09, 06:45 PM   #8
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

time for an upgrade on that rod!!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 06:53 PM   #9
IS300n8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to IS300n8

sounds to me like you should get a nice rod with recoil guides for your replacement, lol
IS300n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 07:34 PM   #10
bamabassman

if you didn't brak the rod, just the eyelets. replace the eyelets. you can get em at wally rold, dicks, etc....
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 10:17 PM   #11
bcklash

I bet he didn't break a rod he just told his wife that so he can tangle with bait monkey. bbwwwaaaaaaa
Old 01-14-09, 09:34 AM   #12
BassinBandit

I think the bait monkey made him do it. The bait monkey hid anything that might be of use. Knowing that He would use a rod to get into his car. But now you can at least beat the bait monkey back with a ugly stick and not have to worry about it.
Old 01-14-09, 10:28 AM   #13
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
if you didn't brak the rod, just the eyelets. replace the eyelets. you can get em at wally rold, dicks, etc....
The Ugly Stick rod was only $30 from Academy and I don't think replacing some eyelets is worth it. I go it when I had my Fenwick break just to quickly replace it. I am actually kind of glad to get rid of it. It was a bit heavy for liking. I will probably go with something like this that Bigbassin144 suggested.
Old 01-14-09, 04:04 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I tried to get the salesman to give me a second one when I purchased the car back in 2002 but he only had one and said he would order me another one (yeah right). I checked with Ford now and a spare key for my car would cost $100. It has one of those chips in it that is needed to start the car. I guess I could get one made just to unlock the doors and not start the car. Lesson learned. I am going to replace the rod with one that is better.
i doubt that anyone will cut you a key withouth a chip just for unlocking your door. my truck key has a chip in it too and i also don't have a spare. one time while at wal-mart i was buying my fishing liscense and i had given my wife the keys and she was off to do her shopping thing. later we met up and i asked for the keys and she didn't have them. turns out she layed them down somewhere and walked off and forgot them (she is lucky she is cute haha). well someone found my keys and turned them in at the service desk so i decided i needed to get a spare cut. the lady in automotive wouldn't cut me a key because it had a chip in it. she said "it won't start your truck without the chip anyways" i said "no but it would at least unlock my truck" then she said "but your alarm would go off" then i said "i don't have an alarm" then she said"well it is against the law for me to cut one for you anyways without the chip" then i said "well that is a bunch of........"well anyways you get the point.
Old 01-14-09, 04:13 PM   #15
Earl Marshall

The local True value will cut a key to unlock the doors. They don't care if it has a chip or not but they won't guarantee it.
Earl Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 04:38 PM   #16
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i doubt that anyone will cut you a key withouth a chip just for unlocking your door. my truck key has a chip in it too and i also don't have a spare. one time while at wal-mart i was buying my fishing liscense and i had given my wife the keys and she was off to do her shopping thing. later we met up and i asked for the keys and she didn't have them. turns out she layed them down somewhere and walked off and forgot them (she is lucky she is cute haha). well someone found my keys and turned them in at the service desk so i decided i needed to get a spare cut. the lady in automotive wouldn't cut me a key because it had a chip in it. she said "it won't start your truck without the chip anyways" i said "no but it would at least unlock my truck" then she said "but your alarm would go off" then i said "i don't have an alarm" then she said"well it is against the law for me to cut one for you anyways without the chip" then i said "well that is a bunch of........"well anyways you get the point.
That lady was feeding you a bunch of bull. You can go to any Ace Hardware store and have one made. I know this because I forgot that I actually had one made when I first bought the car (I lost it during a move). The guy told me it wouldn't start the car but at least I could unlock the car to get the keys that I locked in there. It is not against the law for them to cut a key. There is a certain type of key that they have to call a company to get permission to cut but car keys are not one of them.
Old 01-14-09, 04:40 PM   #17
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Marshall View Post
The local True value will cut a key to unlock the doors. They don't care if it has a chip or not but they won't guarantee it.
That is the thing. You can't get your money back from them if it doesn't work. Walmart managers are just jerks. For some reason, they seem to have a "holier than though" attitude and for the life I me I can't understand why.
Old 01-14-09, 04:44 PM   #18
lowrider

i think you are giving wal mart people more credit than they deserve, the ones around here don't seem smart enough to have a "holier than thou attitude"

more like just smarter than the mcdonalds emp that needs pics on the register to ring up your lunch
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 08:23 PM   #19
pig_n_jig

It's much easier to carjack with a gun than a fishing rod.

Sorry I couldn't resist. P N J
Old 01-14-09, 08:46 PM   #20
BigBassin144

lol, funny. I guess it is true though.

BB
Old 01-15-09, 10:50 AM   #21
Joel

I'm not a fan of the Ugly Stick line of rods. Talk about no back bone. Anyway, I think you found the best use for them yet. You can get a decent two pc rod just about anywhere for $30 or so.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.