Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-09, 03:37 PM   #1
tom351
BassFishin.Com Member

Default help....night fishing...90% water temp

i have been lucky to get a single bite after dark...ive been power fishing a large colorado bladed spinnerbait, big chatterbait, shaky heads, and was doing well till the temp got to 90... the guys that seem to do well are camping on a 10 foot square....thats so hard for me to do...but ill do it if thats what it takes...

are they waiting for the fish to move across that spot or from very deep to shallow...

do i need to find a good funneling spot, a point, cove?

im pretty new to night fishing, but its the only tournamets happening around here...i like to compete, dont care too much about being a few extra bucks in the winners pocket....im out there practicing more than any of them, but they have been doing this same thing for 15 years, i need a "crash course" ...all the spots that i fish that i found on my own are popular spots in the tournament, so i know im doing something right...

the way it is, i have to catch what im going to get by dark, so i have 3 hours in the tournament...the other guys are getting a limit by dark and culling for an extra 3 hours...i know im going to have to go to a jig, im just not sure where to throw it, and i get so antsy sitting in one spot if theres no bites coming, it makes me feel like im in the wrong place....

how long should i give a spot on the jig before i move on, or are you camping while waiting for a window that the action is going to happen?

im truly lost and need some pointers here....it sucks going to the weigh in as a spectator every week, bypassing the scales to throw a little bag or 2 really good fish back because it isnt enough....in the daytime i know i can compete...i can consistently catch fish then...im the only person ive ever seen pitching a jig out there, and ive caught some monsters doing it...night fishing is just a different animal...

i guess you could say im in the dark...
tom351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 06:05 PM   #2
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

these guys may be camping out over ambush points. When the water gets hot the bass feed more at night then in the day. It may be a good idea to find some serious structure like brushpiles, bolders, underwater bridges, creek channels, or the best structure your lake has. Work Large bodied cranks, swim jigs with rattles, and throw big topwaters. Hope this is the right direction to try next.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 07:59 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ok, I'm not a big night time fisherman, but when I do, I always do well with a tandem spinnerbait with colorado blades. However I wanted to tell you one thing you might want to try. Several years ago I started tossing a number two Mepps Aglia in line spinnerbait with a squirrel tail and gold blade. I used a six foot medium action spinning outfit on 10 pound line. And I have just tore those bass up on that approach. The only downsize is the occational snag as the Mepps spinners are not weedless. However, if you were to use a 20 pound braid line you could probably pull it off most snags, and still be using a small diameter line.You would be suprised to find out how well a small spinner will do after dark. And because of the small size of the bait, it's a very quiet landing when it hits the water which I think adds to the appeal to bass.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-09, 02:56 AM   #4
bingham
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

i had a night tourney tonight and had only 2 keepers before dark. i have no problem whatsoever finding fish after dark i caught 10-12 after 9 o clock. i just go to anywhere there is light, get a small black finesse worm and toss it. fish slow. i did catch many dinks but that one tap could be the keeper your looking for. ended up having a little over 6 lbs with 3 fish thanks to the night technique i use, caught a solid 2lber after catching 2 dinks in a row around 10oclock. where abouts do ya live at to give us a little more info to help ya
Old 06-28-09, 10:17 AM   #5
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

Try the same places and techniques that worked in the daytime. Just fish slower.
A jig should definitely work.
You can also try my favorite nighttime topwater- a black jointed jitterbug.
Good luck
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-09, 12:34 PM   #6
tom351
BassFishin.Com Member

a little info on the lake....its a southern reservoir, not much shallow water, 110 feet at its deepest...theres no docks, no lights, its our drinking water supply....it takes 14-26 pounds to win this tournament, depending on conditions and time of year....
Old 06-28-09, 04:09 PM   #7
Dominic
BassFishin.Com Member

I would fish the same spots at night as where you caught them during the day. Buzzbait, 10" Black Power Worm, Football Jig or Hula Grub. Mix a Pop R and a spinnerbait in, even a wacky 5" senko.
Good Luck.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-09, 11:51 PM   #8
bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom351 View Post
a little info on the lake....its a southern reservoir, not much shallow water, 110 feet at its deepest...theres no docks, no lights, its our drinking water supply....it takes 14-26 pounds to win this tournament, depending on conditions and time of year....
name? or state even? lol
Old 06-29-09, 01:47 AM   #9
tom351
BassFishin.Com Member

ive tried fishing the same spots with the same baits, different baits, slowing down....

about 30 minutes after dark the bite just shuts off in these areas...thats when everybody cranks up and goes to their camping hole....
Old 06-29-09, 01:47 AM   #10
tom351
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingham View Post
name? or state even? lol

lake catoma....in alabama....its between smith lake and guntersville....
Old 06-30-09, 03:32 PM   #11
bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom351 View Post
lake catoma....in alabama....its between smith lake and guntersville....
ahhh...never heard of it but, i fish in alabama too so it cant be too much of a diference, cuz im fishn 90 degree water too! all i can say bud is make someone mad and beat em to their spot before dark lol
Old 06-30-09, 07:44 PM   #12
tom351
BassFishin.Com Member

i learned nobody is really catching anything after dark...they are getting what they can before dark then just camping hoping for a big bite to upgrade....

i had my chance last night....caught a 2.6, then a 4.0, lost one about the size of the 4, and then lost one about 7 roughly 10 feet from the boat....12.86 pounds won it...

now i know how it feels to lose a big fish in a tournament....not a good feeling...
Old 07-01-09, 12:23 AM   #13
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

Ahhh man, thats tough. I had what looked like a 6 or 7 pounder on a little canoue yesterday and lost it as I was reaching for it... Never fished in a tournament but I can imagine.
Willvdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.