Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-10, 11:18 PM   #1
JimmyDon
BassFishin.Com Member

Question DIY maintenance to save your self big bucks?

Do it yourself maintenance to save your self big bucks? What are some simple repairs or preventive maintenance that you do to keep your rig running like a champ? (plugs, pumps, bearings etc.) Do you use a service manual? What special tools do you use? Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated
JimmyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 12:22 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Battery - wet cell, check/fill ofter with distilled water. Biggest battery killer is low water level. On board charger will make keeping batteries fully charged easier. Keep terminals clear of corrosion.

Plugs - easy change, one - two years depending upon how many hours you run each year. I check mine every few months for fouling.

Bearings - trailer, bearing buddies help greatly in keeping proper grease level in bearing, check them often and add as required. When you do this, also check you grease fittings on your steering and outboard tilt/trim (if so equiped)

Tires - check air pressure often. Properly inflated tires will last longer.

BEST PREVENTIVE MAINTENENCE TIP - Install a fuel/water seperation filter. Ethanol gas is the bane of outboards. Ethanol absorbs water, water in the combustion chamber will result in blown head - huge expense. Fuel additives can also help, marine Stabil (blue) is formulated to help deter the ethanol/gasoline seperation in the fuel tank. Other fuel additives (Sea Foam, Ring Free, etc.) can also help reduce carbon build-up in your outboard.

Change lower unit every year, when winterizing (if you do that). Milkly oil indicates water intrusion - best to have a mechanic check if you have any signs of water in the lower unit fluid.

If 2-cycle outboard, make sure oil reservoir is full before each outing, it's way too easy to forget to check it if it does not become a habit.

Service manual is a good thing to have if you plan on doing any self maintence or repair. You should have manuals for outboard, and most of the mechanicals/electronics on the boat. If you buy new they should be with the boat. If used, you can obtain a lot of them on line from manufacturer's website.

I don't have any special tools, regular tools like screwdrivers, sockets (especially one to fit the prop nut), pliers, spare cotter pins, a few wire connectors, electrical tape, SPARE FUSES, and a set of jumper cables is about what I carry.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 12:34 PM   #3
Abbeysdad

some really good tips there...I might add...

1) Always keep her covered when not in use. Sun, rain and wind can make a boat real old, real fast. (When I was shopping for a used boat, I was amazed at the poor condition of so many that just weren't taken care of this simple way.)

2) if/when investing in a new mooring cover, lighter colors (e.g. gray) are better than darker colors as they will reflect light/heat.

3) use 303 Aerospace Protectant for all vinyl, rubber, plastic and fiberglass - it's UV protectant simply can't be beat.

4) To prolong longevity, always charge TM batteries right after each use and whenever possible, never discharge below 80%.

5) Trailer Tires often suffer dry rot long before tread wear. Treat with 303 (above) and invest in inexpensive vinyl covers. For long term boat/trailer storage (e.g. winter), get the load off the tires by jacking and blocking or use stands.
Old 05-19-10, 07:34 PM   #4
JimmyDon
BassFishin.Com Member

All good information, thanks guys
JimmyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 07:46 PM   #5
woody

Here's another must have tool just incase your outboard's pee-hole gets clogged. It's just a simple short piece of electrical wire or something similar used to "unclog" an outboard's pee-hole of any unwanted debris that can cause a motor to overheat very quickly.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 06:17 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Much is pretty easy to do yourself, as stated. One thing I'll add is to add Seafoam to a tank of gas at least once a year depending on how much you run your boat. Cleans the fuel system, carbs, etc. and keeps the engine running smooth.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.