Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-10, 10:56 PM   #1
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Performed a PET

Today, my dad and I took the new boat out to perform a PET. For all you uneducated cretins, that's a "Performance Evaluation Test." With little to no gear, two people, full livewells, and a 19p prop, she jumps up on plane quick. I was very impressed with that. Top speed according to Dad's GPS was 59.8 mph. If I'd trimmed up a little more, I probably could've gotten another couple mph, but I was already turning at 6100 rpm, so I left it alone. Next time, I'll probably have the spare 25p prop on her, and try that. Hole shot will suffer, I know, but Bama and I are betting I'll get mid-to-upper 60's on the top end.
I've never driven a fast boat like this before, so it was definitely a learning experience for me. We just cruised around for 15 minutes or so, while I played with the trim. It's crazy how just a little tap on the trim to raise it just a little will cause the boat to handle completely different. One second it's too high, causing us to porpoise, then *bump*, and it's smooth sailing again. And on the speed run, I got at least 7-8 mph more by raising the trim up just a little. I knew that trim affected speed and all, but I didn't know that little of an adjustment causes that much of an effect.
On the same note, I measured the prop-to-pad distance, kinda roughly, and it's about 4 1/2 inches below pad. Is this about right, should I be higher/lower....?
Launching was easy, but taking out was a little difficult, mainly because I told Dad to stop too soon, leaving too much of the bunks out of the water. Next time should be a piece of cake, though.
Oh, crap...I just jinxed myself...
Old 05-27-10, 01:30 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Glad things went well for you buddy. You are right, trim makes a huge difference in both speed and how a boat handles. Take your time getting comfortable with her before you go get crazy and you will do fine.
Old 05-27-10, 09:42 PM   #3
bamabassman

just wait till you find that SWEET spot on yer trim daniel. and trust me, cause i said that i would NEVER go all that fast, you will be winding it out when you want to change spots. i find that if i warm up the motor and all, i am wanting to fire it up and RUN, HAHA. most times i never even prime up the motor cuz i don't wanna turn into a river runner. and i don't fill up the tanks (got 2 holding 20 plus gals each). do it a couple of times and you will understand when you see that $200.00 gas bill for 1 trip, haha.
but i am wondering something here, is the hole shot all that importanT to you or is it for just when you are "playing" on the water? and is it easier on the millage with the 19 or 24? i ain't no genuis on these things. so let me know which is better on fuel. i know you ain't gonna pull no one doing close to 70 mph. but are oyu planning on entering tournies? just a lot questions i ahve been wondering about. not for you directly daniel, just wondering in general. ya know?
Old 05-27-10, 11:22 PM   #4
MississippiBoy

The way I'm thinking right now, I'll use the 19 for "playing." I'll need to be able to pull inner tubes, kneeboards, etc, so the lower pitch prop will definitely be better for that. Math tells me that the 25 will be better on mileage. Right now, I'm cruising at 3200-3300 RPM, which is about 30-33 mph. With the 25p at the same RPM, I might be going, I don't know, 38? 40? So I'll be burning the same amount of gas per minute, I just won't need to spend as much time getting to where I'm going. Of course, I rarely decide to run for more than 5-10 minutes anywhere I fish, so it probably won't make much of a difference. Although this boat broadens my horizons considerably, as far as being able to take it out on open water, long runs, etc, so my fishing style might change, too. We'll see...
I'll put the 25 on and see what it does to my holeshot. If it really bogs me down, I might sell it and find a 22 or 23 for when I'm fishing, for better overall performance, and keep the 19 for playing. And no, not planning on entering any tournaments.
I can already tell, this could get to be addicting...
Old 05-28-10, 08:14 AM   #5
lilmule

Jumping from a 19 p prop to a 25 p prop is quite a bit ,that translates out to 4900 rpm at 200 rpm a pitch.
Might help as well to list hp and rpm limit if known.brand of boat,weight,type.
And at 4 1/2 below you got plenty of room to raise,that stock gear case is good for at least 3 under if not 2 1/2,somewhat depending upon boat design as well.
With the rpm gain by raising 1 1/2 or so it could then run a 25 p .
And no one does not always burn the same amount of gas at same rpm and or speed slip enters into it a different prop one may gain or lose on gpm even of the same pitch
As a rule of thumb one that slips,or has a higher slip factor gets less.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 09:55 AM   #6
MississippiBoy

Boat is a 1995 Sprint 207 Pro Tournament bass boat. The hull weighs about 1400 just by itself...I have to idea of total weight. The motor is a 1995 Yamaha 200 Pro-V, RPM limit should be around 6100 from what I understand. It'll turn more, so apparently the limiter is either not working, or has been disabled.
With the 19, the guy I bought it from ran it up to 6300 rpm. I deliberately left the trim a little lower the other day because I knew that was too high. I know the 25 will drop my RPM considerably, but I still need to try it to see what it'll do.
Old 05-28-10, 10:30 AM   #7
zooker

that 25 will likly run you up to around 70gps..most of the sprint boats i have been in with a 200 on it. will run close to 70. if your hole shot stinks with the 25p. try a 25p 4 blade renegade. belive me these props are a perfect match for that boat.

zooker
Old 05-28-10, 02:04 PM   #8
MississippiBoy

I never thought about a 4-blade prop...that might be just what I need. Problem is, I've searched online some, and I can't find a Renegade that says it fits a Yamaha. OMC, Johnson, 'Rudes, yes, but no Yamaha...
Old 05-29-10, 09:36 AM   #9
lilmule

Most dealers would set that up with a 25 p gade, with an omc motor,its right on the money for about 68 mph,in that boat.Should have close results with a yammer.Doesnt that motor have like a 2/1 gear ratio,if so definately a higher Pitch is in order and a 4 blade,the tro 4 is a good high preformence prop.

Last edited by lilmule; 05-29-10 at 12:55 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 05:34 PM   #10
Bender

I'm running a TR04 that is around 23-24P (was taken down a little from 24). It was perfect but now has a couple small dings but if you are ever over this way or I am that way give me a shout if you want to try it. Also I have a 23M 3 blade, both hubbed for Yamaha.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.