Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-09, 11:57 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Revo questions

Okay I have the Revo S and have had no complaints at all about it. Can anyone tell me the real value in upgrading to a higher model. I will stick with Revo but the wife asked me for my birthday list tonight. Wanted to see what you all thought
Old 02-21-09, 11:58 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

tell her to get ME a revo!!! kidding pal. don't have a revo so i can't help ya out.
Old 02-22-09, 12:03 AM   #3
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

magnetic brakes on the sx
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 12:33 AM   #4
bassinbob

I would say if you want a light weight go with the Premier. I have the STX and love it. The only other reels I have are Shimano. I like the STX a litle more than my Curados. I plan on getting a low geared reel for deep cranks and it is between the new Curado and the Winch. I don't have the s model but did have the sx and traded it for a gloomis med cranking rod. I did prefer the stx over the sx. As wareagledc said "magnetic brakes" For me the mag brakes work better.
Old 02-22-09, 12:36 AM   #5
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i like both but the magnetic are faster and easier to adjust when changing lures alot
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 10:25 AM   #6
keithdog

I have both the S and the SX models, and to be honest, I really don't have any issues with either. They both work great, and cast very smoothly. Even the S model wiithout the breaks performs well. If you have the extra cash to spend, I'd probably get the SX simply because of the breaks. However, if you need to watch your budget, and who doesn't now days, you may want to stay with the S model. I'm just a casual weekend angler who doesn't fish in any tournies, so I never felt the need to spend the extra for the STX model. I'm sure I'd love it, but for my purpose, the SX serves me well.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 01:20 PM   #7
doc

I Have a Premier and a sx I like em both but really want a stx.

This is taken from a revo Premier ad
http://bassbuzz.outdoorsfanmedia.com...thecat=3&id=49
"The original Revo (S, SX and STX) was designed as a sleek, distinctive low-profile reel with a fast retrieve, smooth drag and Abu Garcia's trademark long-term reliability. It also has innovations like the Infini Spool II in the STX model, where the spool is separate from the drive train to minimize friction for optimal performance.

Like the original Revo, the Revo Premier has a frame made of solid aluminum which is lightweight yet does not flex, keeping internal parts in correct alignment for continued smooth operation.

Here's how the two Revo models stack up beyond just weight:
Bearings

Part of the Revo Premier's weight reduction is in the number of ball bearings. While the original Revos have eight to 10 ball bearings, the Premier has five ball bearings along with one roller bearing for continuous anti-reverse (same as the other Revos).

Of the bearings removed for the Premier model, as compared to the Revo STX, four came out of the reel handle grips (two each) and one from the left side of the worm gear. Most of the internal bearings are still there, as follows:

> Worm gear: 1 ball bearing
> Drive shaft: 1 ball bearing
> Spool right side: 1 ball bearing
> Spool left side: 1 ball bearing
> Right side plate: 1 ball bearing
> Plus the Instant Anti Reverse roller bearing

Morgal noted: "You can get a bearing that costs a nickel or one that costs $2.00. In our higher-end reels (like the Revos), we're putting the better bearings in. The Premier has the best of the best."

Aluminum vs. Aluminum

Another feature that helps reduce weight is a polymeric side plate on the Premier, and the use of duraluminum instead of forged aluminum for the following parts:

> The handle and star wheel
> The handle knob shafts
> The spool shaft
> The drive shaft
> The left side plate retaining thumb screw
> The line carriage support pillar
> The handle nut, nut cover and screw
> The worm gear is anodized duraluminum
> The drive gear is anodized duraluminum

Bottom line: The only change you're going to notice is in weight. Abu Garcia isn't going to do anything that compromises its reputation for quality and durability, so these changes only affect weight, not longevity or performance. (Editor's note: Duraluminum is used in manufacturing aircraft and spacecraft, among other things. If you're curious beyond that, check out the Wikipedia definition.)

Additional Features

* Like the STX, the Premier has the Infinity II spool design, which disengages the spool from the drive train for longer and easier casts even with lightweight lures. Spools are constructed of aircraft-grade aluminum 7075-T6.

* The Premier has a linear magnetic spool brake system like the SX and STX.

* The Premier is available in right- and left-hand retrieve with 6.4:1 ratio, and holds 140 yards of 12-pound line.

* All the Revos have Abu Garcia's Carbon Matrix Drag system, which provides optimal drag durability and smoothness. The maximum drag setting won't budge when pulling fish from heavy cover."

I should note that my premier while light and hasn't gave me a problem yet doesn't feel as "tough" as my sx. But I really like the way it casts and fishes thats why I want a STX (well that and because the monkey tells me to )
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 08:06 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

After using my Skeet Reese Revo, my next reel will most likely be a revo. But more along the lines of an SX, not the Skeet Reese. I and interested in trying the reel with magnetic brakes, since I do prefer magnetic.

BB
Old 02-22-09, 08:18 PM   #9
aikenyounggun

yeah the stx is lighter.... i have both an stx and an sx ..... both are great but i lke the stx better.... the sx is a little older and i like the feel of the stx better.... both are great reels..... i also think my stx has a bigger spool
Old 02-23-09, 04:52 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

i have never used the revo s but i have used a buddies stx and now i have several sx reels. i personally like the sx better because for some reason they seem to cast better for me. either one is a great reel and i am sure that you will be happy with them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.