Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-11, 09:52 AM   #1
BigBurlyBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Sunglasses

So looking for a pair of polarized sunglasses, I don't wanna spend more than 20 or 25 got any suggestions? I was looking at getting strike kings sunglasses, just from wal-mart or mijers though.
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 10:24 AM   #2
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

This is JMO you understand, but I've never found a pair of cheap sunglasses to be worth the $$. Those that I've tried have scratched at the drop of a hat and the optical quality isn't there. Haven't tried the newer ones advertised by Strike King so they may be an improvement. Maybe someone else has had better luck than I have.
Old 05-10-11, 11:00 AM   #3
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

While on a recent trip I forgot my Oakley's. Didn't really want to buy another pair of them, so I went the Walmart and picked up a pair of the Berkeley brand ones. While they are no Oakley's, I was surprised at how good they fit and functioned. Now I just keep them in my tackle storage. I think they were all of $12.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 07:40 PM   #4
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Whatever you get, make sure they block 100% of UVA and UVB. You can afford the possibility of greater susceptibility to scratches, you can't afford to mess with your eyes.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 07:59 PM   #5
walkeraviator

I have a pair of teh strike king and the plastic lenses are warped and distort your eyesight, but they do a killer job at eliminating the glare from teh water. So they do the polarized part of their job great.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 11:30 AM   #6
Jeremy
BassFishin.Com Member

I found myself asking this question recently and I ended up getting 3 pairs of the new(er) Strike King glasses. I figured even at $60 that's still a lot cheaper than a nice pair would run me. ($175+)

It's still too early to tell how they'll hold up over time, but so far they're shaping up to be polarized versions of the crappy sunglasses sold at every party/drug store in America. For example, I dropped one pair (in my car for god's sake) and they have a little nick in the lens which looks like cheap tint coming off a car window...heh.

I think next year I'll just spring for a decent pair of Costa's....
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 06:32 PM   #7
BigBurlyBass

I will probably just go with the berkely cause I had a pair of those and for the most part I liked, them for the cash they were great ( until they got stepped on, haha)
Old 05-16-11, 11:26 PM   #8
Lvitch

Bought lots if cheap pairs and finally bought a good pair of natives for $100. Their my everything glasses and have had them about a year. Some of the best money I ever spent and would buy them again in a heartbeat.

The real problem is there aren't any glasses between $39-$100. I won't spend $200+ for a pair of costas but I am very happy with the natives. Watch for lead based paint on the cheap $20 glasses.
Old 05-16-11, 11:39 PM   #9
boloson

oakley man myself. considering how expensive they are i get a pretty decent discount on them if anyone is interested
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 11:40 PM   #10
Grant the angler
BassFishin.Com Member

xps from bass pro have pretty good lenses for 20 to 30 bucks definantly check them out
Grant the angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 08:22 PM   #11
LeBron_Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
oakley man myself. considering how expensive they are i get a pretty decent discount on them if anyone is interested
I am needing to get another set of lenses for my polarized flak jacket xlj's...wanting to get a set of the fire lenses...figured they would be a good color for early morning...got black iridium and shallow blue already. See what you can do for me if ya dont mind. Thanks
LeBron_Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 08:44 AM   #12
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron_Hill View Post
I am needing to get another set of lenses for my polarized flak jacket xlj's...wanting to get a set of the fire lenses...figured they would be a good color for early morning...got black iridium and shallow blue already. See what you can do for me if ya dont mind. Thanks
i'll see what i can do
Old 05-18-11, 02:53 PM   #13
LeBron_Hill

thanks alot man
Old 05-18-11, 06:41 PM   #14
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd check out the BPS house brand, I know their not from where ya want 'em, but they're decent shades for the money, had a pair for the longest time before I lost 'em. The didn't scratch to bad, and they worked well and were comfy!

Mine were Jimmy Huston Sig. series.
Old 05-18-11, 07:41 PM   #15
Rebbasser

I have been very happy with Strike Kings in the past-if I was looking in that price range that would be my choice.

I switched to Costa Del Mars a few years back and really love them.

One thing about sunglasses, reagrdless of they style/price:

If I could recommend one thing to do, get some retainers so you can hang them around your neck. I have not lost or broken a pair since I started using them. I prefer Chums, but use what works for you.

I can't recommend using them highly enough.
Old 05-18-11, 08:05 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

I agree with Reb on the Costas. I went to them from Oakleys this year and I wish I would have went to them years ago. I love the clearity of the 580 glass lenses and they are super light for glass. I don't know much about Strike King sunglasses other than I like the looks of a lot of their frames, they probably are good glasses for the price range. Another brand that is kinda in between the Strike Kings and Costas in price is Wiley X. I have a few pairs of Wiley X glasses that I got as a promotion deal when I bought a few Revos a few years ago. They are good glasses as well and I still keep them in the boat as a spare pair incase I forget my Costas in my truck.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-11, 02:26 AM   #17
boloson

Quote:
thanks alot man
Replacement lenses for that particular glasses are $40 but they are all on backorder. Plus all I saw for the fire you're talking about was called persimon & doesnt look to be polarized
Old 05-20-11, 06:45 AM   #18
LeBron_Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
Replacement lenses for that particular glasses are $40 but they are all on backorder. Plus all I saw for the fire you're talking about was called persimon & doesnt look to be polarized
Would it help if I got you the actual Oakley part number? They have them on Oakley's website but the lenses are like $95 on there. I bought a set off of ebay for around $70 but I cant find this color on there. I can get you the part number though.

SKU# 13-732 is the part number from their website and they are called Fire Iridium Polarized. Thanks for the help as well.
Old 05-22-11, 04:37 AM   #19
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
While on a recent trip I forgot my Oakley's. Didn't really want to buy another pair of them, so I went the Walmart and picked up a pair of the Berkeley brand ones. While they are no Oakley's, I was surprised at how good they fit and functioned. Now I just keep them in my tackle storage. I think they were all of $12.
X2 on the Berkly Glasses from Walmart!
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 01:54 PM   #20
BigBurlyBass

Alright thanks everyone for your advice. I just bought a pair of berkleys from wal mart, and also they are polycarbonate ( not shour what that is but o well) so they were 19 bucks, I like them a lot very comfortable look great I like em alot. Had a chance to try them out yesterday wen't from like 8 too 1, they were great light weight all of that good stuff. Except I just coulden't get a bite, but I going next also so hopefully I will hook up into some fish then!
Old 05-25-11, 02:08 PM   #21
boloson

Quote:
Would it help if I got you the actual Oakley part number? They have them on Oakley's website but the lenses are like $95 on there. I bought a set off of ebay for around $70 but I cant find this color on there. I can get you the part number though.

SKU# 13-732 is the part number from their website and they are called Fire Iridium Polarized. Thanks for the help as well.
yea i don't see that part # for that particular glasses plus most of the lenses are on backorder. sorry dude
Old 05-25-11, 04:21 PM   #22
cassidyta

Well, I know that this is a little late, but I have gotten most of mine from the local drugstores. I usually spend about $12 per pair.
I do have a pair of costas that I use when bed fishing, but for the most part, the cheap ones do the job for me. I try to keep a couple of extra pair in the boat.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.