Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-09, 10:03 AM   #1
midlifefun
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rod Selection

I'm looking to try flipping and pitching in the spring but I figure I better start practing this winter. I need to buy a rod and reel for this most likley from bps is their any recomondations out there on what to or not to buy. Was wondering on length of rod, reel (ratio),and line . I will mostly be around docks.
midlifefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 11:13 AM   #2
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use a 7 1/2 ft Falcon Cara telescoping flipping/pitching stick. I use an Abu Garcia C-3. I've got 3 sticks set up this way. I'm not necessarily recommending the C-3. I'm just used to them and the way they feel but I am recommending the Falcon rod. It has lots of backbone in the butt and mid section and a flexible tip that gives you that sling shot action when pitching and cushions a big hook set. I hate a rod that feels like a broom stick which some flipping sticks do. But, you need enough backbone to turn a big fishes head and jerk him out of the tangles which is what pitching is all about. The Falcon stick will do both.

I would take a reel loaded with, say, 17 or 20 lb line and a 3/8 or 1/2 oz jig with the hook cut off and take it to BPS and see if they'd let you try out a few rods in the aisle. Or, try out some friends rods. You may be more comfortable with a 7 ft rod. Only you can decide that.

I definitely wouldn't go under 7 ft (can't get as much distance, and can't move as much line on the hook set) or go over 8 ft. (too unwieldy).

Bottom line: Try before you buy.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 03:53 PM   #3
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use a 7' Falcon Lowrider Heavy Action Carolina Lizard Dragger. The rod has plenty of backbone to horse a fish out of cover and for the reel I use a Shimano Citica with 20 lb. Pline Floroclear in my opinion its perfect for pitchin and flippin its really all you need but a lot of guys go much heavier.
Old 12-07-09, 06:23 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

What yer price range?

For a middle of the rod price range (200 - 300 in my book) You can get some really good stuff if you don't mind shopping on line! If you're the kind the likes to handle your combos before you buy them, than go to BPS and check 'em out, and then go home get on line (or even on your phone if you have Internet on it), and buy it!

If you really like light stuff, bucoo, would work well. Matched up with a revo premier would be a great rod at only 250$ with a 370$ value. The premier has a little bit weaker drag than other revo reels at about 12lbs.

If you don't mind a little heavier stuff (but this will be perfectly balanced it'll also be amazing looking). A revo SX, or STX (when they come out) with a Garcia vendetta. The SX, and STX have a strong drag (24lb pressure). The vendetta is factory balanced for revo S, SX, and STX reels, so you'll have a perfectly balanced combo (something vital when flipping & pitching!), the Vendetta has great sensitivity (someone on a tackle tour said it's comparable to a steeze). Both reels are 6.4:1. IMO a great speed if you're fishing docks. It's not too fast, but still has good power (a higher GR reel would be faster, but less power). 240 dollar combo with the SX, and 280 with the STX.

Both rods in a 7 foot length, MH fast action for docks, H fast action for brush/heavy cover.

As far as line goes, if you're fishing really murky water (8" or less of visibility), than 50lb sufix or power pro braid will do great with it's amazing sensitivity will do good! If you're fishing clearer, or stained water, than I think 20lb fluorocarbon would be the best choice! People really seem to like Seaguar fluoro lines, AbrazX would be the best because it's high abrasion resistance and good sensitivity/low stretch.

Last edited by Bassboss; 12-08-09 at 05:59 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 08:41 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For pitching and flipping, a 7'6" rod will probably be what you're looking for. Depending on the you'll be fishing with it, you cna go anywhere from MH to XH. IMO, you want the fastest rod you can buy, and I would only get a Fast or XFast.

Knowing your budget would help, but here's some suggestions anyways.

I use an Loomis IMX MBR844C for casting jigs and pitching ( I don't use a 7'6" rod cause I rarely every flip, and the 7 footer fits my needs (and rod locker) better. But check out the Loomis IMX FSR904X. It's their 7'6" flipping stick. My only complaint would be the MF action instead of F or XF.

The Shimano Crucial lineup has a few flipping sticks in it, I'd take a look at those.

Falcon Cara is another good choice in this price range.

I'd check on line, especially if you're not against buying used. I bought my Loomis MBR844C (used twice) for a little over $150.

For a reel, I like a high speed reel (7.1:1) for pitching/flipping. It allows me to bring in slack faster before a hookset, and also to bring my lure in faster for another cast. Daiwa Zillion and Daiwa Aggrest would both be well suited for this job. Abu Garcia's High Speed revos (I'd go with the STX-HS) are also good choices.

For line, I use braid. Right now, Sufix is my favorite. I use 30-40lb. If you want, you could use fluoro in a 15-20lb test. for FC, I recommend Seaguar AbrasX and InvisX, the former for flipping and pitching though. I think you can use braid while Pitching/flipping no matter the water clarity since it is hard to see in the weeds where you'll be fishing. I've used it in a lake with about 10-14' vis.

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 12-08-09 at 08:47 AM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 09:53 AM   #6
midlifefun
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the suggestions I didn't really know what my price range was,Iguess middle of the road would do me fine.
midlifefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 02:16 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For the Middle of the road (which I consider to be the $150-225 range), look at the Shimano crucials.

BB
Old 12-09-09, 06:04 AM   #8
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Why settle for a "middle of the road" rod when you can get a top-of-the-line rod for the same $$$? If you want a kick-*** flipping stick, $230 could get you a Kistler LTX with recoil guides. There is a sponsor selling them NEW w/tags over on BBC, I've bought a dozen rods from him this year - he is fantastic to deal with. If you want to save some money the LTX with the Alconite guides are $190. You will not find a better rod (new) for the money anywhere. Last time I talked to him, both the 7'6" H and 7'11" H were still available. Selection is limited and I don't know what quanties of each rod he may have left as of today. He will only be selling at these prices until Christmas, then he's done. These are 2009 rods that are on clearance. Simmon's Sporting Goods (Alabama) had similiar offering a couple weeks ago, but I believe they've sold out. You can also buy direct from Kistler as they started their clearance yesterday. The 7'6" H is listed at $209.99 and the 7'11" H is $241.99, I'm not certain which guides are on these rods, possibly the recoils. Check them out.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 12-09-09 at 06:13 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.