Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-11, 12:26 AM   #1
HawksFan67
BassFishin.Com Member

Default I have Rods..I have Reels... How would YOU spool and match them...???

Ok guys......

Someone here once told me as time goes by I would acquire more gear (combos). Well, that being said and $$$$ later, he was correct. So I'm going to list the gear I have and ask what the experts would do with them.

I usually fish quarries and ponds for ol' bucket mouth. I would like to try some SHALLOW river fishing for smallies sometime.

I primarily use soft plastics. I have a large assortment of worms, tubes, frogs, craws etc. I have crankbaits (but don't know what rod/reel to match for them), buzzbaits, spinner baits etc.

So if someone dropped this stuff in your lap, how would you use/pair/spool them. Or suggest more additions to the arsenal......

Thanks in advance for your advice.........

Brian

RODS

6'6" Vendetta M casting.
7'0" Vendetta MH casting.
7'6" Vendetta MH casting.
6'6" Vendetta M spinning.

Reels

3 Revo SX-HS baitcasters.
1 Abu Garcia Black Max baitcaster.
2 Cardinal 102 spinning w/extra spools.
1 Cardinal 104 spinning w/extra spools.
HawksFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 03:08 AM   #2
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

6' 6" M casting rod-Revo SX for spinnerbaits,buzzbaits, jerkbaits, topwater
7' MH casting-Revo SX for texas rigs,traps, small jigs
7' 6" MH casting-Revo SX for pitching/flipping, frogs, carolina rigging
6' 6" M spinning-Cardinal 102 for shakeyheads, wacky rigs

I think the only thing I would want to add immediately to your lineup would be a good crankbait rod with a slower reel. Other than that you have a pretty good bunch of rods that could do pretty much anything you need to do with them.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 10:10 AM   #3
HawksFan67
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebasser86 View Post
I think the only thing I would want to add immediately to your lineup would be a good crankbait rod with a slower reel. Other than that you have a pretty good bunch of rods that could do pretty much anything you need to do with them.
What is the difference between a regular rod and a crankbait rod? I was thinking about picking up a Carrot Stix Gold or a Carrot Micro guide rod. Does Carrot have any that would be considered a crankin rod?

Thanks, Brian
Old 08-13-11, 10:15 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebasser86 View Post
6' 6" M casting rod-Revo SX for spinnerbaits,buzzbaits, jerkbaits, topwater
7' MH casting-Revo SX for texas rigs,traps, small jigs
7' 6" MH casting-Revo SX for pitching/flipping, frogs, carolina rigging
6' 6" M spinning-Cardinal 102 for shakeyheads, wacky rigs

I have to agree here pretty much all the way. A couple things I'd add are if I were fishing 3/8 oz. spinnerbaits or heavier around cover, and larger topwaters like a full size Spook or Jitterbug, I would go with the 7 foot MH combo.

As for line choices your going to get a lot of different answers. Line choice is probably the most contentious subject in fishing and so it is here in the forums. So here is my take.
6'6" MED Combo-15 Pound P Line Flouroclear. Very small diameter but very strong and good abrasion resistance.
7'0" M/H Combo-17 pound P Line Flouroclear.
7'6" M/H Combo-20 pound P Line CX or Sufix Seige. Both are very strong and abrassion resistant. Which is important when pitchin and flippin into heavy cover.
6'6" M spinning combo-12 pound Flouroclear

Now you may also want to go with a 40# braided line for your 7'6" MH casting combo for pitchin and froggin in heavy cover. And if that was all your going to do with it, thats probably what I would do. But since I don't know exactly what your intentions are for that combo, I chose a 20 pound copoly line which would give you both strength and perhaps give you a little more flexability in applications than braid would.
I agree with bluebasser. You need a good crankbait combo. The 6'6" combo may work but the gear ratio is higher than I woould use for most, but not all of my cranking needs. Since your obviously a Revo man-^5!- then the Winch would be perfect. The 5.4-1 ratio is a great all around ratio for crank bait fishing. Myself, I would pair it with a 7'0' M/Mod St Croix Premier Crankbait Specific rod. I'm picking this rod because I have two of them and they are awsome crankbait rods. But there are other crankbait rods that are also excellent. The Premier at $119.00 is a great rod without breaking the bank. And I would spool the Winch with 12 pound Flouroclear. I'm not a flourocarbon guy. Never cared for the stuff. But I know many like it for crankbaits because of it's narrow diameter and the fact that it sinks which will help your cranks run deeper. If thats something you want to try, I'll let others advise you on which flourocarbon to go with. Hope that helps.
Old 08-13-11, 10:19 AM   #5
HawksFan67
BassFishin.Com Member

I do still have that Black Max reel sitting doing nothing. No one suggested that i use that for anything. Could I use this reel for cranking?

Last edited by HawksFan67; 08-13-11 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-13-11, 10:29 AM   #6
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan67 View Post
I do still have that Black Max reel sitting doing nothing. No one suggested that i use that for anything. Could I use this reel for cranking?
Whats the gear ratio? Yur better off with a slower gear ratio of about 5.4:1 for most of your cranking needs. An IPT of 19-21 inches is ideal.
Old 08-13-11, 10:35 AM   #7
HawksFan67
BassFishin.Com Member

And I'll also let you guys know what I already have spooled on my reels now. This can change, no big deal re-spooling so keep the suggestions coming please. BTW, I got all these Revo's because of the GREAT price I paid for them on e-bay. At $100 each for a $170.00 reel, I couldn't pass it up and grabbed 3. So that explains why I have 3 of them.

Rveo... #50 Power Pro Braid
Revo... #20 Power Pro Braid
Revo... #12 Saeguar Fluro
Black Max... Nothing
Cardinal 102... #15 Power Pro Braid....Extra spool #12 Seaguar Fluro
Cardinal 104... 4 empty spools

The Max ratio is 6.2:1
Old 08-13-11, 11:12 AM   #8
keithdog

Quote:
And I'll also let you guys know what I already have spooled on my reels now. This can change, no big deal re-spooling so keep the suggestions coming please. BTW, I got all these Revo's because of the GREAT price I paid for them on e-bay. At $100 each for a $170.00 reel, I couldn't pass it up and grabbed 3. So that explains why I have 3 of them.

Rveo... #50 Power Pro Braid
Revo... #20 Power Pro Braid
Revo... #12 Saeguar Fluro
Black Max... Nothing
Cardinal 102... #15 Power Pro Braid....Extra spool #12 Seaguar Fluro
Cardinal 104... 4 empty spools

The Max ratio is 6.2:1
In that case, I would buy a BPS Pro Qualifier for your crankin needs. Great reel for $99.00 and available in a 5.4:1 ratio. I use two of them for crankin along with a couple others and they perform great. You don't need an expensive reel for crankin, just one that has good build, cast smooth and has a dependable drag. You'll get that with a PQ. The Black Max will work fine especially for crankin around shallow cover which I myself prefer a reel for shallow water crankin with that ratio. But for open water cranking, especially with the larger deepeer diving crankbaits, you'll find a slower ratio is much easier to retrieve.
Old 08-13-11, 11:48 AM   #9
HawksFan67
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you very much for your input. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-13-11, 11:59 AM   #10
bamabassman

i agree with what's been posted. keith is right about the black max. it's a general purpose reel. you can use it for most techniques.
Old 08-13-11, 12:16 PM   #11
HawksFan67
BassFishin.Com Member

What's the difference between a regular rod and one that described by the maker as a "crankbait rod"?
Old 08-13-11, 12:27 PM   #12
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Briefly - a "regular" rod today would be most likely graphite with a fast or x-fast action. Suitalbe IMO for just about any bait with a single hook. A "crankbait" rod generally has a slower action either a moderate or moderate/fast, which means the blank is a tad slower and flexes over more of the rod's length. The blank material can be graphits, fiberglass or a composite. These rods are more suitable for treble hook baits, and due to their design are less likely to pull those short hooks out of a fish's mouth.

Many manufacturer's, including Carrot Stix, have crankbait specific models in their lineup.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 12:54 PM   #13
bassinbob

I'll double Keiths' choice of the St Croix for a cranking rod. I have one and love it. Another great choice for a crankbait rod is a Kistler Argon series. Check e-bay for them. I picked one up for a great price and it is a very good rod.
Old 08-13-11, 10:10 PM   #14
HawksFan67
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok guys......went to BPS looking for the St. Croix Premier 7'M Mod rod. The only one they had on the shelf was missing a rod guide. So I grabbed the 7'MH Mod instead. Thanks to all who offered up their advice.

BTW....Would I use this rod for 1/4oz swim jig & trailer? Or one of the other rods I have above?

Thanks, Brian
Old 08-13-11, 11:14 PM   #15
Jrob78

That should make a good cranking rod. I would probably use the 7' MH Vendetta for swim jigs.
Old 08-14-11, 12:30 PM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
Ok guys......

Someone here once told me as time goes by I would acquire more gear (combos). Well, that being said and $$$$ later, he was correct. So I'm going to list the gear I have and ask what the experts would do with them.

I usually fish quarries and ponds for ol' bucket mouth. I would like to try some SHALLOW river fishing for smallies sometime.

I primarily use soft plastics. I have a large assortment of worms, tubes, frogs, craws etc. I have crankbaits (but don't know what rod/reel to match for them), buzzbaits, spinner baits etc.

So if someone dropped this stuff in your lap, how would you use/pair/spool them. Or suggest more additions to the arsenal......

Thanks in advance for your advice.........

Brian

RODS

6'6" Vendetta M casting.
7'0" Vendetta MH casting.
7'6" Vendetta MH casting.
6'6" Vendetta M spinning.

Reels

3 Revo SX-HS baitcasters.
1 Abu Garcia Black Max baitcaster.
2 Cardinal 102 spinning w/extra spools.
1 Cardinal 104 spinning w/extra spools.
6'6" Vendetta - Revo SX. 15lb mono. Use it for spinnerbaits, top water's, jerkbaits and perhaps shallow cranks. M power it'll be good for the treble /moving baits. 6'6" length is good for making pin point casts. Use the heavier line if you fish around thicker cover.

7'0" Vendetta - Revo SX. 12lb - 15lb Fluorocarbon. Use it for bottom contact baits like worms, and jigs. but good for just about anything, from spinnerbaits, swimjigs, and shallow crankin. Use the 12lb if the cover allows it, but keep in mind heavier lines (15lb in this case) generally have less stretch = more sensitivity.. a big plus for worms and jigs.

7'6" Vendetta - Revo SX. 50lb - 65lb braid. Use it for Flipping/pitching, frogs, Carolina rigs, and when ever you want to cast big worms, jigs, and buzzbaits into THICK cover for big girls... you're general slop rod! It'll also work well well for heavier things, like small - medium size swimbaits.

6'6" Spinning vendetta - Cardianl 102. 6 - 8 fluorocarbon, and 15 - 20lb braid. Your general finesse stick. Drop shots, shaky heads, split shot rigs, little texas rigs, and what ever is to light for you baitcasters. Use the braid around vegitation, and for drop shotting... keep in mind you'll have to use a fluorocarbon leader.

I'd also look into getting a cranking combo, low GR and M/Mod rod 7 - 7'6" rod

Quote:
What's the difference between a regular rod and one that described by the maker as a "crankbait rod"?
Usually they're have more of a parabolic action, and are made of different things, like fiberglass, graphite/composite, to achieve what the manufacture considers the "right" action for crankin.

Last edited by Bassboss; 08-14-11 at 12:40 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 07:12 AM   #17
muskyboy
BassFishin.Com Member

I just got a St. Croix mojo bass rod 7 foot medium heavy/fast and a abu cardinal 102i reel had it spooled with 8/30 braid and use it for all my fishing trips pretty much any species including musky. Have to say that this set up is the best i have ever had. planning on getting a few more.
muskyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.