Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-08, 08:59 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default XCaliber Lipless Cranks

Hey. I've been wanting to pick up some more lipless crankbaits since I did well on them this past summer. I've been looking at all the different brands and style and of the ones I've used, Rattletraps are still my favorite.

The XCaliber ones do look pretty awesome though. Anybody got some feedback on them. The other thing that is confusing me is that there are like 4 different versions. What's the difference between the Xr50, Xr75, Xrk75, and the 1K baits.

Thanks again for all the help.

BB
Old 02-05-08, 09:30 PM   #2
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Why spend more than you have to when you could buy Rat-L-Traps for cheaper? I mean, you said they are your favorite...

-Lunk-
Old 02-05-08, 10:05 PM   #3
toneyoutdoors.com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to toneyoutdoors.com

I like the redeye shads pretty good.
Old 02-05-08, 10:15 PM   #4
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneyoutdoors.com View Post
I like the redeye shads pretty good.
there good. so are strike kings diamond shad. i'll pass on the x-cailber baits..most don't work worth a crap...

zooker
Old 02-05-08, 10:17 PM   #5
lunker-lander

I think most of us would agree this is a situation where, "You don't get what you pay for"...

-Lunk-
Old 02-05-08, 10:45 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

yeah i would stick with the rat l trap. i mean some things are just too hard to improve, and in my opinion the rat l trap is one of these things.
Old 02-05-08, 10:51 PM   #7
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Heddon

I got 3 of the Heddon Bayou boogies a few weeks ago. They looked pretty neat, at least a little different than the normal lipless cb's and with a name like bayou boogie I had to get them,
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 11:22 PM   #8
renagadebee34
BassFishin.Com Member

i love the x calibers. they seem to have more rattle and im not a very good good rattle trap user. They call them idiot proof baits, well then im the idiot but these seem to get me more bites than the others
renagadebee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 11:13 AM   #9
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I hate lipless cranks. I have never done well with them and have zero confidence in them. However... I am going to make myself fish these baits this year until I figure it out. I have a couple Diamond Shads and I'm going to try the Spro Aruka Shads this Spring. Hopefully I'll start catching fish on them because I know they are deadly.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 12:40 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

BA. stick with it. it won't be long and you will have gained so much confidence you will be buying a ton of them.
Old 02-06-08, 12:47 PM   #11
zooker

ba
diamond shads are a great bait with a crappy paint job.. nice and loud hooks are gammy's remember when the paint falls off -and it will- carolina chip has repainted EVERY one i have bought.. his paint jobs are worth EVERY red scent...

zooker
Old 02-06-08, 02:01 PM   #12
BassAddict

You know... I pride myself on being versatile and fishing pretty much any bait with confidence but for what ever reason I can't catch a fish on a lipless crank. I catch fish so many other different ways that (in the back of my mind) I tell myself I don't need them but I'm sure I'm missing out on some fish I could be catching. I'm going to give it a shot this year and see what happens. It just blows my mind that I can't catch fish on them as popular as they are!
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 02:25 PM   #13
Lilmoosecountry

Rattle Trap Knock off.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 04:39 PM   #14
lunker-lander

Stick with it BA! You'll get it!

These are some of the most versatile baits out there, covering anywhere in the water column you would like. Give 'em a good and fair try, they're killer in the Spring!

-Lunk-
Old 02-06-08, 05:16 PM   #15
bassnman30

They are big for lipless crankbaits. Got some and they should do well when the shad are full grown.
Old 02-06-08, 06:26 PM   #16
renagadebee34
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish a lot of smally water and i catch some pretty nice ones before the spawn in spring, but once spawn hits i cant catch anything in the summer with lipless or crankbaits, what should i do different
renagadebee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 07:22 PM   #17
pig n jig

I don't leave home without them.I have so much confidence in them, I don't second guess thier ability to catch fish.The Spro aruku shad 75 is one of my most favorite traps. Allow them time in the water and they will reward you for your effort. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 07:42 PM   #18
keithdog

BassAddict, your comments are like a page out of my book. I've never had much luck with lipless cranks either. I catch all the bass I want on regular lipped cranks, but if I toss out a lipless, it's like all the bass have got lock jaw. However, I like you intend to work those baits this year more, because I know they catch fish, not just bass either. I have several different ones, including Spro, Rattle Traps, Rappalas, and a couple Berkley Frenzy ones. I've used them all and I bet I've only caught two bass in all the years I have thrown them. To be honest though, after using them for an hour or so, I give up on them, and imediately start catching bass on other types of lures. It's a confidence thing for sure.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 11:23 PM   #19
lunker-lander

How are the Berkley Frenzy baits, Keith? I've been meaning to try them, but I am still skeptical as to how they work.

-Lunk-
Old 02-07-08, 06:51 AM   #20
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I did great on Frenzy lipless cranks last spring. There was about a week that I caught at least 2 big fish everyday on them. I also caught a channel cat with it.

I think I'd fish any company's lipless crankbait. Each manufacturer creates a different rattle and that can be a good thing. I once fished a rat-l-trap in an area for about two hours before losing it and tied on another company's (Pflueger, I think) and caught four in a half hour.
Old 02-07-08, 12:36 PM   #21
lunker-lander

Are the Frenzy baits more economical than the Traps?

-Lunk-
Old 02-07-08, 09:31 PM   #22
keithdog

I'm the wrong guy to ask about Frenzy lipless cranks lunker. They seem to work just fine, but I don't have much luck with lipless cranks.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 11:16 AM   #23
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

at times lipless baits are the best. Consider this, Every brand on the market will catch fish at times. The main difference betweenthem is how audible they are and the pitch of the rattle they produce. I use the Excalibers,Rattle Traps, Diamond Shad,Sugar Shad and Hot Spot as well as the Rapala brand. Once you start catching fish in an area with one you may change up if the bite slows or you may be able to better fine tune your pattern with a different sound. Take each of these and shake them. You will hear a difinate difference in the way they sound. Fish2win
Old 02-10-08, 01:53 PM   #24
Bob60
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Traps #1

I use rat-l-traps 99.6% of the time 1/2 oz. then 3/4oz. Red crawdad-clear to lightly stained water 43 degree to 70 degree water. Gold stained water or low light conditions. Silver (blue back or black back) when it is bright. 7ft. med/heavy rod, KVD reel 6:2.1 , 40lb. test Power Pro. If weeds, grass etc. are present tick the top of them. IF YOU ARE NOT PICKING WEEDS OR GRASS OFF THE HOOKS YOU AINT FISHING THEM RIGHT. Change out the hooks or lose fish. I use Mustad. Got a 9 lb. 4 oz. last year. red craw dad 1/2 oz.
Bob60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 07:59 AM   #25
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've found that the Rattletrap's hooks are pretty decent as long as you sharpen them.

It looks like most everyone says stick with rattle traps. Still, does anybody know the difference between the Xcalibur Xr50, Xr75, Xrk75, and 1K baits?

Thanks,

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.