Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-06, 11:45 AM   #1
BassQualifier
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Grabbing Bass Outta the Livewell

I've been fishing some small local tournaments lately and luckily have had a good number of fish in my livewells between me and my partner. However, though I am good at putting the fish in the livewells lol, I have one helluva time getting them out. It can take me a couple minutes just to try to get a hand on one of them, either by lipping or just man handling it out, but for the life of me I can't do it in a timely fashion like the pro's do. I dont know how they do it.

I thought I would ask to see if you guys have any tips for getting bass out of the livewells quickly and easily. Thanks.
BassQualifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 11:50 AM   #2
Deacon
BassFishin.Com Active Member

use a culling system with culling tags. Its easier to grab onto a culling tag than it is to lip them. Look at bass pro shops or cabelas they should have a set for fairly inexpensive. Hope that helps ya!

Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 12:01 PM   #3
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

or you can make your own with styrofoam floats,steel leaders(slip a length of plastic tubing over the leader) and get one of those stringers that are made with chain and the hooks.remove the hooks,put them on one end of the steel leader,put the float on the other end..viola!easy in,easy out.

Last edited by bassintom; 08-17-06 at 03:22 PM.
bassintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 12:29 PM   #4
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

Culling tags brother

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 02:00 PM   #5
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You can do what was already reccommended or go train with Miagi, fish in, fish out, fish in, fish out LOL.

Lizards
Old 08-17-06, 03:28 PM   #6
BassQualifier
BassFishin.Com Member

Those culling tags completely slipped my mind, and I even have some! That sure will make things easier. I have never used them but man, that will definitely solve my problem. But really, is it just me or is it hard as crap to get a bass out of the livewell without using them cullin tags??? They are so slippery in there and wont ever open their mouth for me. I see the pro's at the Classic on TV just reach down in their livewell and grab their lunkers to hold up to the fans. And they only take a couple seconds. And they don't have the cullin tags on those fish. Good idea though, those tags will be on those fish for sure from now on.
BassQualifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 03:46 PM   #7
WTL

Its not just you. Sometimes it can be difficult, especially smallies.
Old 08-17-06, 06:08 PM   #8
onlyculprits
BassFishin.Com Member

I've heard some bright guys pump much of the water from their livewells just before its time to remove their fish. My little livewell only holds about 12 gallons and is made from an old plastic olive barrel. The proverbial "fish in a barrel".

definition of manatee - tree huggers' darling, also an effective speed bump in crowded waters.
onlyculprits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 10:54 PM   #9
nixie1
BassFishin.Com Member

If you are not clipping them with one of the numerous culling clips available I would suggest that you fill your weigh in bag from the live-wells and then dump the well you need to get the fish out of. When the water gets low enough it is easy to get a lip-grip on the fish without damaging the slime coat. Chasing a fish around the well does nothing but reduce it's chance of surviving the experience. If you have no choice but to go in after the fish in a well full of water I have found that if you go straight down on the top of it and then clamp down on the area right above the head and just behind the eyes it usually stops them long enough to put a solid lip lock on them. Bottom line is this: you should do what you can to avoid manhandling the fish and damaging it's slime coat. Culling clips are, by far the best way to go.
nixie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-06, 06:08 PM   #10
ROBZILLA

Just name the fish when you put him in there, when you call his name look for the one who acts the weirdest. lol
Old 08-19-06, 10:22 PM   #11
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

LOL we have had some guys have there fish jump out of there livewell when they open it to get fish or put a fish in.
Old 08-20-06, 07:22 AM   #12
JB

we always used to just give the bass a plus of redman, and when they come up to 'spit', ya club em!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-06, 10:41 AM   #13
bassnman30

I use the culling tags, With several fish in my livewell, it's easy to just pull one of the floating tags to get your fish outa the live well. Even with just one fish a culling tag can be usefull.
Old 08-21-06, 04:28 AM   #14
WIbassfisherman

I usually pump livewell water into the bag and then the reduced water level makes the fish easier to handle. Less stress, quicker exchange right into the water they were just in.
Old 09-24-06, 03:31 AM   #15
mugbass
BassFishin.Com Member

what? to couple to bass one of those gabci. . scandalous!! there are other ways in order to signal a bass in livewells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
use a culling system with culling tags. Its easier to grab onto a culling tag than it is to lip them. Look at bass pro shops or cabelas they should have a set for fairly inexpensive. Hope that helps ya!

mugbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-06, 06:39 AM   #16
eyes

They do have livewell nets to Frabil makes a nice one.
eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-06, 10:12 AM   #17
zooker

mug
i take it ya never tried getting a livly fish out of a live well.. the clips are easy on easy out of the holes. quickly place the fish in a live bag and go for the next one.. we have to remove the fish and weigh them individually..not "signal" weather we have a fish or not..the whole point is removing them for either cullin or weigh in..during culling we are only allowed 5 fish per person in most tourny's we keep the 5 largest releasing any thing smaller.. which fish weighs the least easy to see and release using this method.

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 09-24-06 at 10:17 AM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-06, 05:24 PM   #18
garry_3000

Well what i do is drain youre livewell until there is just enough water to cover the back of the bass should make grabbing them alot easyer
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-06, 06:39 PM   #19
zooker

actually garry itis a win lose thing yes you can grab the fish faster no you going to get wet doing it.. try this when the water temp in the live well is in the 30's ... trust me getting wet with 30 degree water sucks...

zooker
Old 10-04-06, 05:55 PM   #20
garry_3000

mabe zook but if you put in enough water to cover the fishes back and dont want to get wet try an med fly fishing net and gather them up one by one
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.