Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-06, 03:30 PM   #1
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default buying an used boat (posted in 2 areas)

I posted this under boats and trailers also, but this area gets more responses! Looking for advice!!I am looking to buy a used bass boat. This will be a starter boat for me. It is a 1989 Stratos with a 150 Mariner engine. I think engine and boat are same year. I have seen the boat and the hull is in good shape. It has a flasher on the dash and eagle graph on the trolling motor (65lb minn kota, fairly new). Give a list of stuff to check and I will compare it with the list that I have come up with. Thanks for the help!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 04:00 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I used to fish out of the same boat back in the early 90's my fishin buddie bill farmer had a red one, 89, same motor, its awesome boat! I'd go for it in a heartbeat..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 05:38 PM   #3
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

sounds good to me
Old 02-22-06, 06:20 PM   #4
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thanks for support! I appreciate it!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 07:36 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i own a stratos and am bias. they are a great boat. have had mine for 5 years with ZERO problems with the boat it self. the older mariner moters are good moter-all mariner's and merc's are interchangable part wise- in 1995 the horse power rating on ALL outboards/inboards was changed from flywheel/power head to the propeller shaft. if you have any problem with it ask me about the boat laser is the moter head..

zooker
Old 02-22-06, 08:09 PM   #6
bass kicker

if any one has any questions on aluminium boats you can ask me as i do now how to fix them to a degree

Just started welding all the seems on my 12 footer
Old 02-23-06, 06:19 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

A little more info on the Mariner and I can be very specific on what ya got there buddy. I am a MERC MARINER FREAK. So I am a bit biased myself but with all do respect they are a rock solid motor. Do a compression check on the motor. Do it yourself or have a mechanic (one you trust not the boat owners pick). This will give you a REAL good idea on the motors condition. Check out the skeg for any damage and make sure and look under her hood for oil and how clean it is. Being it is a 89 model you could have one of three motors and one of them is the 2.5 litre which is a awesome motor with some REAL horsepower potential. Any of the three , parts are still readily available not real cheap but can be had. After you get the compression numbers you will know how well the motor has been taken care of. You are looking for no more than 10%variance between the numbers 20% being the top variance. Anymore than that and you are looking at a rebuild before long. Depending on what motor it is will run anywheere form 1500 to as much as 3000,3000 being a complete(crank rods and piston rebuild). The stratos is a great boat and I personally like the older stratos boats myself. Used to fish out of a 16.5ftr with a 140 that was da@@ near impossible to outrun. Took the rougher wate very well, fished GREAT and only got a little hard to handle only when trying to run her WOT. Great boat for someone to get started with in the world of high performance boats. Not hard to drive full out just takes some getting used to and the hull is forgiving ifn you make a mistake. Be sure and get those compression numbers. By the way what they wanting for the rig??

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.