Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-06, 08:52 PM   #1
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default updated parts for new shimbindo reels

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont...eleases/0.html
Old 02-20-06, 08:55 PM   #2
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

shimano reels are garbage if you wanna good one you have to pay like 200 bucks Pflugers and abus are the way to go
Old 02-20-06, 09:39 PM   #3
va_basser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass kicker
shimano reels are garbage if you wanna good one you have to pay like 200 bucks Pflugers and abus are the way to go
man the older curados are under 100 bucks and are great reels.I've owned abu's and pfluegers and the curados are tops in my books.And they make one HELLUVA spinning reel..just my .02.....
Old 02-21-06, 07:53 AM   #4
1FASTLASER

BASS KICKER

How dare you cuss shimano's like that. I am ashamed of you . Now go stand in the corner till I tell ya you can come out. The shimano cardiff has performed for me flawlessly for three years straight now without one single mishap. I own 7 of the cardiffs and a castaic and couldnt ask for any better service. Plus I fish the braid which is super hard on a reel and I fish in the worst possible trash imaginable and again I quote NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. The best thing is they are still just as quiet,smooth,cast as far as the day they where bought. I fish approx 150 days a year. The cardiffs are 109.99 apiece and dont remeber what I paid for the castaic but can you argue or call it trash now??
Old 02-21-06, 08:49 AM   #5
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

BK,out of curiosity...how many shimaos do/have you own/ed?
i've had my curados for a couple years now and have never,ever had a problem....also never a problem with my symmetres......the only reels i ever had problems with were 2 mitchell golds,a 308 and a 310(i think)bought them a couple years ago and have bit**ed about them since day1...both were absolute junk...my mitchell 300 that i bought about 25 years ago works fine but i don't use it anymore.
Old 02-21-06, 10:50 AM   #6
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

At least they came out and said there "COULD" be a problem. Most companies wouldn't even bother, just wait for the complaints, and keep saying the user damaged it. I love Shimano, even though PNJ thinks they are overpriced. LOL. They work day after day. But I think it's the Chevy vs Ford argument all over. If you don't like them, don't buy them. It's always amazing to me that folks post what's the best rod, or reel, is X, and the fact is that's what they have, or their first higher end piece of equipment. They have not fully used other brands, so they have nothing to compare it to. JMO of course, keep buying what you like, leave the Shimano's for me when it comes to Baitcasters, I don't think they are all that great on spinning reels, though.

Lizards
Old 02-21-06, 10:56 AM   #7
JB

I'll have to agree, my shimano curados and castatics have served me well, never have had any break downs or any problems at all, well, expect they didnt put me in the money enough lol....guess i need to practise more eh?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 11:39 AM   #8
bass kicker

i have owned 8 shimano reels some of them top of the line others bottemline and within 2 years they all broke.

so i have the right to say they are GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they are garbage and you aint making me change my mind about it anything is better then them
Old 02-23-06, 05:45 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Not trying to change your mind Bass Kicker . I agree with Lizards on this. Chevy vs Ford. But i say how can you compare a ford to a Chey. They just aint in the same league. OOPS I DID IT AGAIN
Old 02-23-06, 08:41 AM   #10
basstech

Chevy vs. Ford...agreed. But, I still am calling B.S. on Bass Kickers statement. I repaired and cleaned reels for five years. I bought what I did because there was a lot less B.S. on them like "magnetic anti-backlash control". Citica's in '95 and '96. I also have three Calcutta's and 3 curado's. The only reel I've had "break" was the one I ran over with my F250 diesel. I saw what reels wore out and which ones broke. I had very few shimano's come in for repair...just for cleanings. Lew's and daiwa's needed repair more often because of breakage. Then the Garcia's Mostly for worn bushings and pinion gears. Quantums were new at that time...didn't see too many of them either. The Black max had a design flaw due to the graphite frame contracting and expanding. The Pro Max was a solid reel.
Old 02-23-06, 12:40 PM   #11
bass kicker

they all suck and i aint lissen to any thing other wise
Old 02-23-06, 01:11 PM   #12
WorstHunterEver
BassFishin.Com Member

Shimano's are overrated.....my calcutta - in shop 2 or 3 times....broke agian......3 currados - 2 broken. After reading that, went to repair centers page and look at the list of reels that they can't repair anymore! WOW! What the hell do I know do with a broken $170 calcutta and 2 broken $140 currados?

Stick to pfluggers, the last longer, are MUCH cheaper and are everybit as smooth.
WorstHunterEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 01:15 PM   #13
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorstHunterEver
Shimano's are overrated.....my calcutta - in shop 2 or 3 times....broke agian......3 currados - 2 broken. After reading that, went to repair centers page and look at the list of reels that they can't repair anymore! WOW! What the hell do I know do with a broken $170 calcutta and 2 broken $140 currados?

Stick to pfluggers, the last longer, are MUCH cheaper and are everybit as smooth.
There are alot of independant reel repair guys out there. If you don't have one locally I believe it was JackL or maybe Rebbasser that used to post a link to one.

Anyway, I've had the same curados for what 4 years now and never had a problem. Take that back, I had a bearing freeze on one. But I've always known that they are not the toughest reel on the market so I take care of them. I break em down and clean them every Spring, lube em up throughout the year and no problems.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 01:38 PM   #14
TackleTester

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester

Bass Kicker, when did you own the Shimano's?....Here's my .02. I bought 2 Trion's by Pfleuger a couple years ago....Absolutely loved them.....So they came out with this purist reel at a good price (69.95). So I bought 2 of them...Tried them out and hated them...They drove me insane....So i didnt use them for a while....Tried them again this past year..and they worked perfect.

Some reels just take a while to get used to. Shimano's are not garbage in any way, shape, or form. Neither are the Purist's but I thought they were for a while......Of course then the Predient's came out and those are my favorite now....just love them...

I definately agree with the Ford vs Chevy analogy....Personal preference. No one is a bad fisherman b/c they dont like Shimano reels. If you fish better with Pfleuger's, then use them.....my .02 anyway......The season getting closer fellas....I'm ready to hit it!!!!!

Brian
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 09:21 PM   #15
bass kicker

i like pflugers but i love abu garcias has any one tried the RECORD it will beat the crap out of any shimano crap reels
Old 02-26-06, 09:47 AM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass kicker
they all suck and i aint lissen to any thing other wise
Perhaps that is the problem, "you aint lissen to any thing", starting with your english teacher

Lizards
Old 02-26-06, 10:58 AM   #17
bass kicker

yup maybe that is the problem but it is more likly that shimano SUCKS

Go ABU
Old 02-26-06, 02:18 PM   #18
PowerBass

I have to disagree Bass Kicker,
I just got a Shimano Curado, and love it. You just dont know quality...
Old 02-26-06, 04:38 PM   #19
youngbassman77

BK,

I have to agree with everyone here... I purchased a curado not too long ago (a few months). First baitcaster added to my arsenal, and I love it. Have not had one problem with it, and I don't plan on encountering any either, as long as I continue to take care of it and so forth. Also, maybe becuase I've owned it for such a small amount of time compared to everyone else. But still, I don't see any problems.. I absolutely love it and have been recommending it to all my friends. You can just call it personal preference. Shimano is a great brand !
youngbassman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 05:02 PM   #20
Wishing2BFishing

All of my spinning reels in my arsenal are Shimanos (I've purchased other brands but they no longer work). So naturally, when it came time for me to try a baitcaster, I went with a Shimano Chronarch. So far, no problems.

I must admit, I recently thought about trying one of the Daiwa Sols. As of yet, I haven't made the purchase. Past experience tells me to stay with Shimano.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 07:43 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

BASS KICKER easy there bro you gonna blow a head gasket.LMAO

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.