Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-12, 04:20 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default My new Hobie Pro Angler

I am very pleased with this new kayak. Took it out today and this Hobie is VERY comfortable to fish from. I'm not quite done rigging it, I had to mark the water line in order to mount the transducer for the sonar/gps unit. It's not as fast or as agile as my former Hobie Outback, but the fishability far outweighs that. Comfort is what this kayak is about, plenty of leg room - I can't touch the front edge of the cockpit, the chair is about as comfortable a seat I've fished from, and it's very stable, I could stand up in it to fish but that would have to be a very calm day and you couldn't adjust the position of the kayay unless maybe by carring a push pole. It's just shy of 14' long and over 3' wide.

Hobie wanted $1000 for a trailer, so I bought a 4'x8' trailer at Harbor Freight for $300 and modified it a little and it works just fine AND I can use this trailer to haul my lawn mower or mulch, just about anything, which the Hobie trailer certainly could not.

The Hobie Pro Angler on it's home modified trailer.

The seat is comfortable, I don't think a full day would be uncomfortable at all. Hobie boasts of the storage of this kayak but that's a bit overstated as you have to choose how you want to use it. You could store 8 - 3700 Plano boxes (4 each side) beside and forward of the seat but if you use the wells forward of the seat it negates the capability to store your rods horizontal - which is why I bought this kayak. That said, I had PLENTY of lure storage without using the forward wells and putting my rods horizontal. I can carry 4 - 3700 Planos (or other boxes as required). In addition just in front of the seat is another tackle storage well (picture follows) with a black cutting board in the lid.

The front tackle storage well can carry 2 - medium boxes and 2- small boxes, and an area for hanging baits like spinnerbaits or cranks. NOTE: the 3 boxes shown came with the kayak as did one large Plano box.

There is a huge storage compartment up front. Waders, rain suit, dry clothes, a soft cooler, just about anything you may need should fit in there and it's easy to get to unlike smaller, less stable kayaks, you can stand up and walk up to it.

The liner of the above storage compartment lifts right out. I used a small motorcycle AGM battery - no water, no spill, and it should have more than enough power for lights and sonar/gps for a couple days - mounted under and behind it, giving me easy access when I have to charge it. You can also see the rod tubes - up to six rods can be stored horizontally.

I mentioned lights and I still need to get a front nav light but I mounted the white stern pole which will also serve as the mast for my safety flag when conditions warrant flying one (like the high grass in Florida). I installed a switch in the front of the cockpit so I can easily turn them off or on. Lights are not required but better safe than sorry on a dark morning or evening fishing or if it gets foggy. The light pole is removeable as I installed a base. The front nav light will be installed the same way.

The cockpit. The tackle storage well sits between your legs (black lid), rod storage holds 3 on each side (you can see the tubes), Humminbird 798cSI is mount on the left withing easy reach, the transducer will be mounted on the left side of the boat on the pvc pipe which is visible crossing the cockpit (marked the water line today so I know how much pipe I need to keep the transducer in the water). On the right I mounted ONE rod holder to hold a rod while moving or to retie/change a lure. The light switch is just barely visible to the left of the right side rod tubes. And of course the marvelous Hobie Mirage Drive (pedal system)

Six rods - well FIVE are no problem but the rudder control mandates a short rod for the middle of the rod handle rack. That's the rudder control just to the left of the seat and behind the rods. My FAVORITE feature of the Pro Angler is the horizontal rod storage - NO worries about casting and hooking a rod that's sticking up behind you. Casting is unhapmered.

And finally, to haul the new kayak, my new tow vehicle - 2012 Dodge Durango. Looking to save a lot on my fuel costs. I loved my RAM truck, but downsizing is what I'm doing and it had to go. I went with the 6 cyl, 290 HP engine (HEMI drinks too much) equiped with a tow package that will tow 6200 lbs. It doesn't even know the kayak it attached, haven't tried it with the Triton but it is bound to be noticable.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-02-12 at 04:31 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.