Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-11, 11:03 PM   #1
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default u guys see this???

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa...page-DPXC.html

also check out the z200

man i'm shaking right now
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 11:12 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I did! IMO, I think daiwa should have gone with just an Al handle and rubber knobs. That wouldn't knocked 100 bucks off making it more available to the average Joe the plumber. I also wonder when the new T3 will be available? Don't forget this. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa...page-DCHA.html and this. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Team_...age-TDRTS.html (no pic yet)

I also saw this!

I wonder what it'll be.
Old 07-09-11, 12:54 AM   #3
boloson

i'm all jittery & confused now since i'm in the market for a new baitcaster & rod. just curious as to how that new pixy type r differs to a steez? for the same price u can get the lighter steez. debating whether to get this new pixy or the steez

i just read tackletour's comparison between the pixy68 & the type r & the internals were almost identical. still excited nonetheless
Old 07-09-11, 09:25 AM   #4
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

According to the rep, Diawa is also coming out others as well in a lower price point.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 09:41 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The T3 Ballistic is the only one supposed to be under the current Zillion price range.

I don't eve know what's worse, the price increases and outrageously expensive prices Daiwa is putting on reels, or Shimano moving production to Malaysia to cheapen the reels and lower prices...

I personally love the cork knobs and CF handle, just not the price. If Lew's or Pflueger can sell reels with CF handles, why can't Daiwa?

BB
Old 07-09-11, 10:06 AM   #6
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
If Lew's or Pflueger can sell reels with CF handles, why can't Daiwa?
BB
Because, agree with me or not, Daiwa has a very strong elitist fanboy segment of their customer base. Daiwa makes very good reels, but there is no way on Earth their prices are based upon quality or performance. They are grossly over-priced.
Old 07-09-11, 10:09 AM   #7
AUFred

I own several Diawas but have not bought any of their high-end reels in 15 years or more. I think they are over-priced.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 01:32 PM   #8
hardhead
BassFishin.Com Member

Last Daiwa I bought was an aggrest..."fool me once"
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 03:56 PM   #9
boloson

can someone tell me what the differences are between this pixy & a steez?
Old 07-09-11, 04:00 PM   #10
pro reel

I have a Steez 103 HA in the shop right now. This is the first Steez anyone has sent to me for service. I was very eager to see the inside of this reel in person. I had always wondered, just what could they have done to warrant the huge price difference of the steez over other reels. I can now say that it's nothing but marketing hype. Most of us assume that price reflects quality. The more expensive something is, the better it must be. But what stops a company from just building a cool looking product with a little extra bling than the rest of thier line up and then doubling the price? Nothing!!!!! there is no law against putting some cool colors on a product, making some fancy names for some of the parts etc, and then charging whatever they want knowing full well that many will asume that the actual quality or useability is much better that other products at half the cost. After looking at the inside of the Steez. I know that it's no different than any other good reel at half or even more than half the cost. It looks to me that 90% of the internal parts are the same exact parts they use on all Daiwa reels. They did use a metal gear in one place that they normally use a plastic gear but other than that, I can tell you without any doubt, there is nothing fancy inside the reel. Ther is nothing in there that even comes close to warranting a higher price than any other daiwa reel. I am very disapointed, I actually thought that they would have at least used Ti coated worm gears and pawls, like Abu uses on their high end stuff, or at least some fancy coatings to reduce wear and make them smoother somewhere in the reel. There is no good reason whatsoever that these reels or any other daiwa reel casts what they do. They may use a slightly different design on some parts than other reel brands use, they have to because that is a law, but nothing in a daiwa is any more expensive to produce or build than any of the parts in reels at half the cost. Some BPS reels have carbon fiber handles with bearings in them on reels that cost several hundreds less. Most all other brands use bearings in the handle knobs on any reel over the $100 price point. Daiwa doen't use bearings in handle knobs untill the reel is over $300 to $400 bucks. Don't get me wrong, I like several Daiwa reels, But I think most of them are not even worth half of the list price.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 06:19 PM   #11
Bassboss

Good info about the steez pro reel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
can someone tell me what the differences are between this pixy & a steez?
The pixy is more oriented toward light lines, and finesse fishing. Where the steez is more of an all purpose, jig, worm, spinnerbait reel. Don't get me wrong, the steez can cast light stuff, just not as light as the pixy.
Old 07-09-11, 07:23 PM   #12
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
I have a Steez 103 HA in the shop right now. This is the first Steez anyone has sent to me for service. I was very eager to see the inside of this reel in person. I had always wondered, just what could they have done to warrant the huge price difference of the steez over other reels. I can now say that it's nothing but marketing hype. Most of us assume that price reflects quality. The more expensive something is, the better it must be. But what stops a company from just building a cool looking product with a little extra bling than the rest of thier line up and then doubling the price? Nothing!!!!! there is no law against putting some cool colors on a product, making some fancy names for some of the parts etc, and then charging whatever they want knowing full well that many will asume that the actual quality or useability is much better that other products at half the cost. After looking at the inside of the Steez. I know that it's no different than any other good reel at half or even more than half the cost. It looks to me that 90% of the internal parts are the same exact parts they use on all Daiwa reels. They did use a metal gear in one place that they normally use a plastic gear but other than that, I can tell you without any doubt, there is nothing fancy inside the reel. Ther is nothing in there that even comes close to warranting a higher price than any other daiwa reel. I am very disapointed, I actually thought that they would have at least used Ti coated worm gears and pawls, like Abu uses on their high end stuff, or at least some fancy coatings to reduce wear and make them smoother somewhere in the reel. There is no good reason whatsoever that these reels or any other daiwa reel casts what they do. They may use a slightly different design on some parts than other reel brands use, they have to because that is a law, but nothing in a daiwa is any more expensive to produce or build than any of the parts in reels at half the cost. Some BPS reels have carbon fiber handles with bearings in them on reels that cost several hundreds less. Most all other brands use bearings in the handle knobs on any reel over the $100 price point. Daiwa doen't use bearings in handle knobs untill the reel is over $300 to $400 bucks. Don't get me wrong, I like several Daiwa reels, But I think most of them are not even worth half of the list price.
so steez is not worth it is what you're saying? but what about the overall weight of the reel alone? i held one at bps yesterday & man it was like holding a piece of rice cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Good info about the steez pro reel.

The pixy is more oriented toward light lines, and finesse fishing. Where the steez is more of an all purpose, jig, worm, spinnerbait reel. Don't get me wrong, the steez can cast light stuff, just not as light as the pixy.
good to know. dont really have an actual spec but this new pixy seems to have a stronger drag then the steez's 8.8 lbs. will probably end up going with the new pixy but will wait till icast ends to decide
Old 07-09-11, 07:32 PM   #13
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Like it or not, most people associate higher cost with better quality. Add to that, the cult status of the Pixy and it finally getting a US release, it's not that surprising. If they can get people to drop that kind of money, more power to them. They won't be getting my $500 though.
Old 07-09-11, 07:35 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
so steez is not worth it is what you're saying? but what about the overall weight of the reel alone? i held one at bps yesterday & man it was like holding a piece of rice cake.

good to know. dont really have an actual spec but this new pixy seems to have a stronger drag then the steez's 8.8 lbs. will probably end up going with the new pixy but will wait till icast ends to decide
If you were considering the steez for its weight alone, then check out the shimano core at 5.5oz which I think is .1 light then the steez. You'll save 150 bucks with the core too. Also the new revo MGX at 5.4oz might be worth considering as well. I'm not sure how these reels pan out against each other in performance, but just based on weight alone, you might wanna take a look see.
Old 07-09-11, 08:22 PM   #15
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
If you were considering the steez for its weight alone, then check out the shimano core at 5.5oz which I think is .1 light then the steez. You'll save 150 bucks with the core too. Also the new revo MGX at 5.4oz might be worth considering as well. I'm not sure how these reels pan out against each other in performance, but just based on weight alone, you might wanna take a look see.
Yes I was debating the core before but wanted to try daiwas brakes. Not too crazy about shimanos brakes. I would've got abu's Mgx but can't wait that long lol. Steez or the pixy is on my list now unless someone can suggest something similar.
Old 07-09-11, 11:14 PM   #16
nofearengineer

I will say I really like Daiwa's Mag-Z brakes.

Not enough to pay big bucks for it though.

Abu-Garcia's dual braking system is plenty good for way less.
Old 07-10-11, 12:11 AM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Because, agree with me or not, Daiwa has a very strong elitist fanboy segment of their customer base.
While I can't disagree with you, I believe when it comes down to it, all companies do. For example, every time I'm at Cabelas or BPS I hear salesmen go on and on about how great Shimano is and how superior they are to other companies.

I personally love Daiwa's brakes. It's one of the reasons I keep going back to them. I'd love to try the new MagForce 3D, but won't if it's only available on the $650 Z200.

I think the big thing with the Steez (and the reason for the price) was that when it came out, it was the first reel to ever achieve the weight it has. It had no competition whatsoever. From a business perspective, it would've made sense to charge so much for it them. Now that it has competition, I can't say for sure how it stacks up as I've unfortunately never used one.

If I could afford the $450 Steez and $500 Pixy reels, I would buy them. My budget just doesn't allow. So I guess I'll stick to used Zillions, and maybe hope the price on used Steez reels goes down when these new reels hit the market.

BB
Old 07-10-11, 10:15 AM   #18
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_G...page-AMGX.html
This is the reel I wish I could get, but way too much money. It all comes down to catching FISHERMAN, not FISH!
Old 07-10-11, 03:46 PM   #19
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_G...page-AMGX.html
This is the reel I wish I could get, but way too much money. It all comes down to catching FISHERMAN, not FISH!
like i said before, i cant wait that long lol. plus the mgx only comes in right hand retrieve? coming out in oct/ nov & possibly wait another winter for a LH retrieve to come out. by then the bait monkey would kick my ***

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.