Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-11, 09:20 PM   #1
TennTyrant
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Line trouble

I am having line problems I am using invizX and have had the line break twice I am going to give P-Line CXX a try I hope it is stronger, If anyone has used P-Line CXX I would like to know if its good line and strong I am using 12lb test.
TennTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 10:33 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think you're going to love it! If I had two lines to use on a bait caster, it would be CXX and some kinda braid.

CXX is TOUGH stuff, I can't say it whether or not it'll be limper then InzivX, but it casts pretty well as soon as you spool up, but gains some memory after a while on the spool... a little bit of KVD Line & Lure and it'll fix that right up. It's also pretty low stretch, so it works well for fishing soft plastics, and jigs.
Old 07-12-11, 10:58 PM   #3
TennTyrant

Thanks I have the KVD and will use it I will be using the 12lb test for cranking what lb test should I get for Texas rigging and spinnerbaits. Or should I go braid for that? Also do you need to wet the line when your tying knots like with fluoro?

Last edited by TennTyrant; 07-12-11 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-12-11, 11:21 PM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTyrant View Post
Thanks I have the KVD and will use it I will be using the 12lb test for cranking what lb test should I get for Texas rigging and spinnerbaits. Or should I go braid for that? Also do you need to wet the line when your tying knots like with fluoro?
I'd go with 12lb for jigs and worms as long as you're not fishing SUPER thick cover. 12lb will work for crankin, but it's thick line, and breaks more around 17 - 20 pounds.. something I forgot to add to my first post. For cranks, I'd use 10lb. Again, it's 12lb will work for cranks, and Joe, a member here is quite fond of it for cranking if I'm not mistaking.

This line doesn't have the best knot strength, I wouldn't tie anything else but the palomar, or double uni (fish-n-fool knot). I haven't had any problems before with those two knots, but I wouldn't go tying the regular clench knot with it.
Old 07-12-11, 11:45 PM   #5
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the wonderful world of fluorocarbon. I know a lot of people swear by it but for me, the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Like Bassboss said, CXX is a good, strong line. 12 lb is a good weight for most normal fishing applications. With a little KVD, you should be good to go. Check out CX and Fluoroclear as well, they aren't quite as abrasion resistant but are thinner and more manageable. Other than braid, those 3 lines are pretty much what I use.
Old 07-13-11, 12:39 AM   #6
TennTyrant

I like 12lb cause I fish alot of water that has rocks sticks and such so I like my line a little bigger, I just tried the polamar knot and think it is great I have been using the double slip knot, but not anymore this polamar knot is easy to tie and seems to be very strong, thanks for the tip. And should I wet the CXX when tying the knot like they say to do with fluoro or does it matter?
Old 07-13-11, 01:00 AM   #7
Jrob78

You should always wet your line before tying a knot.
Old 07-13-11, 01:11 AM   #8
TennTyrant

Thanks I will.
Old 07-13-11, 04:03 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

InvisX is one of the few FCs I've tried that I haven't had breakage problems with. Many FCs are brittle and will break at the knot or in any kink in the line, but I think I've broken InvisX off 2-3 times in the past couple years, and I know at least one was my fault.

Good look with CXX. I've heard it's a good line and bought a spool this spring, but I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet.

BB
Old 07-13-11, 04:23 PM   #10
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

CXX is awesome line! Love the stuff.

8 and 10lb is what I use for crankin. I have NEVER broke the 10 lb line, and only remember one time when I broke off the 8 lb. It is tough stuff.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 08:56 PM   #11
WatterBoy

Quote:
I am having line problems I am using invizX and have had the line break twice I am going to give P-Line CXX a try I hope it is stronger, If anyone has used P-Line CXX I would like to know if its good line and strong I am using 12lb test.
If you weren't wetting the knot before cinching it down, I would be willing to bet it was your knot that was breaking, not the line. I've never used the P-Line CXX, so I hope you like it. I have used InvisX for years without it ever breaking off when fighting a fish.

Also, how often are you re-tying your knots? That's an important thing to do, too, after fishing in rocky/woody areas for awhile and after fighting a bunch of fish.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 09:24 PM   #12
TennTyrant

Yeah I was wetting the line when tying the knot and I had cast just a few times when I hung a good size bass 2 to 3 lbs and it broke above the knot and the second time it broke at the knot, it may have been my knot I was using a double slip knot but know I am going to use the polamar knot, I still have the invizX on the reel and will try it some more but I have the CXX ready to go and I hope I like it since it is alot cheaper here. I do check my line often and re tie when needed.
Old 07-13-11, 09:51 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Even the best FC lines don't have the knot strength of a decent monofilament. So you really need to take care when tying knots. Knots need to be well lubricated and tightened slowly. If you see any distorted line above the knot (curled up, kinked, discolored, etc.), you should probably retie.

I've never been a big fan of the Palomar for FC lines, but many like it. My best advice for the Palomar is to slowly pull the main and tag lines together until the knot is almost tight, then pull the tag end to tighten it up. Give the main line a little tug and check for line damage.

I like the Miller Knot and Modified Uni Knot for FC line. The Improved Clinch works as well, but I find myself retying due to damaged line more often than with the other two I mentioned. The Modified Uni Knot is quickly becoming my favorite knot for all lines. It is simply an Uni Knot with the line looped through the eye of the hook twice. For FC and Mono, I use 5 wraps around your loop (you'll see once you see a diagram on the Uni Knot) and for braid I prefer 8-10 wraps (more wraps for smaller braid).

I urge you to give InvisX another try with a carefully tied Palomar or one of the knots I mentioned before switching to CXX. To me, the benefits of FC outweigh the negatives.

BB
Old 07-13-11, 09:52 PM   #14
WatterBoy

Quote:
Yeah I was wetting the line when tying the knot and I had cast just a few times when I hung a good size bass 2 to 3 lbs and it broke above the knot and the second time it broke at the knot, it may have been my knot I was using a double slip knot but know I am going to use the polamar knot, I still have the invizX on the reel and will try it some more but I have the CXX ready to go and I hope I like it since it is alot cheaper here. I do check my line often and re tie when needed.
I have always used the Palomar knot. And I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of switching to CXX since I have never used it. Are you using the InvisX on a baitcaster or on a spinning reel?
Old 07-13-11, 10:05 PM   #15
TennTyrant

Baitcaster curado 200e5
Old 07-13-11, 10:08 PM   #16
WatterBoy

Did you have any birds nests before your line broke? I don't use FC on a baitcaster, but I've heard/read that any little backlash/nest can potentially put a nick or weak spot in FC line on a baitcaster.
Old 07-13-11, 11:01 PM   #17
TennTyrant

No not one time but I was fishing it some water that had alot of debri in it it could have gotten frayed I guess.
Old 07-14-11, 02:01 PM   #18
TennTyrant

The more I think about it it was probably my knot I am going to give invizX another try I love how it cast and I have reel full of it so why not. I will tie it with the polamar and see how it does. Thanks guys
Old 07-14-11, 05:27 PM   #19
WatterBoy

Let us know how it goes!

The reason I like the InvizX so much is because of its sensitivity. I get a real good feel of everything going on at the other end of my line with it.

One other thought is Seaguar AbrazX, which I've never used, but I think it's supposed to stand up to stuff like rocks, docks, weeds, etc. better. I'm not sure if it's as manageable as InvizX or not, but maybe others who have used both of them can chime in.
Old 07-14-11, 06:38 PM   #20
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Let us know how it goes!

The reason I like the InvizX so much is because of its sensitivity. I get a real good feel of everything going on at the other end of my line with it.

One other thought is Seaguar AbrazX, which I've never used, but I think it's supposed to stand up to stuff like rocks, docks, weeds, etc. better. I'm not sure if it's as manageable as InvizX or not, but maybe others who have used both of them can chime in.
I haven't used AbrasX, but want to. My most recent FC trials have been with Seaguar Red Label and Sunline Super Fluorocarbon, so it might be a while until I get to try AbrasX...

Anyways, I've heard it's just as manageable as InvisX and it a tougher line.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.