Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-11, 03:27 PM   #1
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default looking for a new value reel

im between a few different reels. all around 130$ or less.

bps pro qualifier tournament - 80$
browning midas - 100$
bps johnny morris - 130$
bps carbonlite - 120$
quantum kvd PT - 130$
abu garcia revo sx - (i found a few n.i.b. on ebay for 135-140$)

anyone have/try any of these?
any other suggestions for a value baitcaster?

Last edited by smittyman; 03-22-11 at 03:32 PM.
smittyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 04:52 PM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The ones I own and use are the PQ and the SX..I have absolutely no complaints on them.
The SX is definitely superior of the two imo as far as smoother casting/reeling,etc..
(plus you cant spell sexy without sx)

You may wanna give the Lews Tourney speed spool a look as well!..Pretty new and Im hearing really good things about them...Their definitely on my list of **** I don't need.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_...page-LTSS.html
Old 03-22-11, 07:41 PM   #3
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If the SX is a 2010 or 2011 model, then thats a great deal. If it's a leftover pre 2010 then thats not a good deal. For most users of the pre 2010 model, it was a love it or hate it deal. If you could handle the slightly weak mag brakes, then it would cast like a dream. If your thumb was not quite as educated as KVD's, then you might be in the hate it group. You can never go wrong with a pro qualifier, even at the $100 full price when it's not on sale. I still say that if you were to do a blind cast test between it and any revo or pfueger reel, you would not be able to say which one cast better. The carbon lite is a lighter version of the PQ. It doesn't cast or crank any better or any worse, it just went on a diet, and it has a cool handle. OK, Now this is strictly my opinion, but the Midas and the KVD should be taken off the list. The midas is not made by browning. It's made by pure fishing strictly for BPS, just like the PQ, but it's not anywhere close to the quality of the PQ. Now the KVD...... If you want a quantum, buy a quantum. Don't buy the made for bass pro shops, only available at bass pro shops with limited or no parts available version with a pros name on it. And yea, look close, that pro doesn't use them in tourneys either, he uses the Quantum version that doesn't have his name on it. Now the BPS Johhny Morris. The JM gold that is still available on sale is a great great reel. The old JM silver was not a very good design, I am not sure about the new versions.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 08:30 PM   #4
Tavery5

My thinking is along the lines of Pro Reel, if the Abu SX is the new version I would use it above the rest on the list. If I were buying the BPS reels and weight was not a problem I would go with JM, then probably the carbonlite or the PQ. I will say this, I have a PQ and while it is a great reel for the money, I don't feel like it is the equal to any of my Revo's. Probably just a personal thing, because there are many out there that feel different.
Old 03-22-11, 08:45 PM   #5
Tavery5

smittyman, I wanted to add that if you are looking for reels in this price range, you may want to give the Shimano Citica some real consideration, many consider it a top pick in this price range. Also the Pflueger Patriarch is on sale currently for 130 dollars, for that price it may be one of the best in the group.
Old 03-23-11, 09:33 AM   #6
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the input guys... After reading, ill obviously go for the SX if I can get it. If not it probably goes to the carbonlite. I've heard so many good things about the PQ that I can't ignore the carbonlite (since its the same reel just lighter). Or who knows, if I'm feelin frisky maybe ill snag both of em
Old 03-23-11, 11:36 PM   #7
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member

abu garcia revo sx
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 11:52 PM   #8
everettvet

I got a Lew's Speed spool the other day and I love it. $89
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 12:17 PM   #9
DVT Mike

I'm surprised no one has chimed in with the Citica. It's not head and shoulders above the others IMO, just another option.
Old 03-24-11, 12:25 PM   #10
cassidyta

I won an older Citica and have no issues with it at all. I will also throw in the Revo S. I probably use that reel more than any other I own.
Old 03-24-11, 02:45 PM   #11
CamG

I will second the Lew's. I picked up two of the $89 ones a couple weeks back and am super impressed with them. I also think the the PQ is a super reel - and would pick it everyday over the Revo.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 04:04 PM   #12
3dkicker

Got a Browning Midas a couple years ago. I like the wide spool option. No complaints with it at all.

Never tried the BPS reels so I can't comment.

I do like Abu's. Got some of the Torno's which have lasted a long time and have had a lot of use so the Revo would be an easy choice. Got a Revo Prem and if you can get a used one at a discounted price then go for it!

Got two Shimano Curado's (one old and one new) and a Scorpion and all have held up as well.

Last Quantum I purchased I threw away. Did not last two years. But that doesn't mean the PT's aren't good.
Old 03-24-11, 05:09 PM   #13
dave0943

I have to add my couple of pesos. I have both the Revo and PQ. I'm not going to get into comparing the two. I can pick up either and have full confidence. I've had the Revo SX longer than the PQ, but feel the PQ will give me years of service with regular cleaning and oiling. I've also heard great things about Lew's. I might even pull the trigger on one myself, after picking up a few new spinning reels that are needed. Last season I bought 3 PQ's in different ratios. Love them!
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.