Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-10, 02:59 AM   #1
brokentip
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Need a rod for the new bait caster reel

What length rod would be used. Thinking of a 7' Med/Lt Going to use it on senkos, t-rig and c-rig. Am I barking up the wrong tree?
brokentip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 03:11 AM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Medium light will probably be too light for t- and c-rigs. I usually use a 6'6" or 7' medium heavy for those applications. You could use it for senkos, too. You fishing them weightless or what?
Old 02-27-10, 03:34 AM   #3
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Med. Hvy and Heavy is the norm. Most guy's I know use a Med. Hvy for t-rigging, and a heavy for c-riggin. It kind of depends on the weight you're gonna use and the cover you expect to be getting into. I use a 6'6" med. hvy for most of my t-riggin, and A 7' heavy for c-riggin (because ussually throwing a heavy weight 3/4 oz to 1-1/4 oz. into deeper water).
Old 02-27-10, 09:06 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Probably 7' MH fast would be best, it's a pretty good all around action. The tip should be light enough to flick senkos a long whys, and heavy to cast the heavy c-rig weights and set the hook on all of them!

What rod you plan on putting on?

Last edited by Bassboss; 02-27-10 at 09:12 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 09:28 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For Senkos, I would go M-MH. And for C-rigs, I would go MH to H. So for a rod that's going to see both of these techniques, MH would definitely be my choice. I prefer longer rods for both of these techniques, so I'd go with a 7' rod, or maybe even a bit longer.

If you let us know what you're budget is, we can suggest some rods, unless you already know what rod you're going to get, just not the length, power, etc.

BB
Old 02-27-10, 09:42 AM   #6
lilmule

Both t rig and senkos can be tossed same outfit,mh 6ft 6 to 7 ft,the crig can either be heavy action or med heavy but a completely different tip action.So one really needs two rods to do those three things.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 10:23 AM   #7
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Both t rig and senkos can be tossed same outfit,mh 6ft 6 to 7 ft,the crig can either be heavy action or med heavy but a completely different tip action.So one really needs two rods to do those three things.
I agree. +1
Old 02-27-10, 11:13 AM   #8
Rebbasser

Agree with the MH recommendation. Remember, with a Senko or C-rig we are talking a single hook bait where you have to make an active hookset, and a ML rod just doesn't have the backbone, especially for a C-rig.
Old 02-27-10, 11:46 AM   #9
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

I go with the MH like the other guys said. I use 60lb power pro line which make the set-up versatile. When your c-rigging the PP gives you a better hookset especially when fishing deep. You can add a flouro or mono leader for weightless senkos or the c-rig. I also fish willow bushes with the same rod,reel,line except no leader and a 5/0 to 11/0 offset hook flipping senkos t-rig no weight.
Old 02-27-10, 12:01 PM   #10
brokentip
BassFishin.Com Member

Presently I have 6'6 for T-rig thought I would use 7' or 7'6 for c-rig. Been trying 6'6 Med/hvy for everything and the long casts are not that great. I believe the longer rod will let me to reach the 30' water better with a heavy weight. I thought about what you all had to say and confermed my suspicions. The reel is going to be the Daiwa Viento with the Twitchin bar. Have not found a rod make yet. I have a 18' tracker and limited rod storage. A two piece rod would be nice but can not find one. There is a rod builder in Bassfishin forums and I could possibly get him to build me one,but can't find him. If he is listening please chime in. Thanks everyone you have a great help. God Bless
brokentip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 01:55 PM   #11
keithdog

I'd go with a 6 1/2 to 7 MH rod with either a fast tip or XF tip. But I'd stay away from a two piece rod. I one piece rod is going to have greater sensitivty and be stronger.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 07:25 PM   #12
Backwater Charlie

I guess my fishing-style is a little different than most, but...

I use mostly extremely small 1/16oz - 1/8oz bullet weights with 4" - 6" plastic worms and light-wire hooks. I see most people using 1/4oz - 1/2oz weights when they could easily get by with much smaller ones.

For Carolina-rigs, I see that most of it is done by heavy sinkers in deep water, but I don't do C-rigging. Unless I'm fishing for carp or catfish.

Senko's weightless can be cast with a medium-action sufficiently, also.

I think a medium/heavy rod is a little too much in some circumstances (I will only use a MH for larger spinnerbaits, larger jigs, larger plastic worms, everything else is with a M rod.) and for your needs, I would go with a 6'6" or 7' Medium action rod. Just, IMHO.
Old 02-27-10, 08:22 PM   #13
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Charlie View Post
I guess my fishing-style is a little different than most, but...

I use mostly extremely small 1/16oz - 1/8oz bullet weights with 4" - 6" plastic worms and light-wire hooks. I see most people using 1/4oz - 1/2oz weights when they could easily get by with much smaller ones.

For Carolina-rigs, I see that most of it is done by heavy sinkers in deep water, but I don't do C-rigging. Unless I'm fishing for carp or catfish.

Senkos weightless can be cast with a medium-action sufficiently, also.

I think a medium/heavy rod is a little too much in some circumstances (I will only use a MH for larger spinnerbaits, larger jigs, larger plastic worms, everything else is with a M rod.) and for your needs, I would go with a 6'6" or 7' Medium action rod. Just, IMHO.
I agree with you about the weight thing, I normally never go bigger than 1/4oz on t-rigs, and usually it's more like 1/8.

The problem for me when using short, light powered rods for plastics is getting a good hook set. You can easily cast a Senko with a 6'6" M rod but once you factor in line stretch, if you're using mono, and the hook penetrating the plastic you could run into some problems. Even if you are using a light wire hook it is still bigger than say a small sharp crankbait hook. Plus you are dealing with slack line and a bait that isn't really moving. You have to be able to generate enough force to get a solid hook up and that's harder to do with a short, flimsy rod.

I like a 7'+ MH rod for the techniques you describe. I don't want a really stiff MH but I have found that a light M power just doesn't cut it. There is nothing worse than setting the hook and feeling the fish and then your line going limp because you couldn't drive the hook home.

Last edited by Jrob78; 02-27-10 at 08:31 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 09:10 PM   #14
Backwater Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I agree with you about the weight thing, I normally never go bigger than 1/4oz on t-rigs, and usually it's more like 1/8.

The problem for me when using short, light powered rods for plastics is getting a good hook set. You can easily cast a Senko with a 6'6" M rod but once you factor in line stretch, if you're using mono, and the hook penetrating the plastic you could run into some problems. Even if you are using a light wire hook it is still bigger than say a small sharp crankbait hook. Plus you are dealing with slack line and a bait that isn't really moving. You have to be able to generate enough force to get a solid hook up and that's harder to do with a short, flimsy rod.

I like a 7'+ MH rod for the techniques you describe. I don't want a really stiff MH but I have found that a light M power just doesn't cut it. There is nothing worse than setting the hook and feeling the fish and then your line going limp because you couldn't drive the hook home.
I have no problem at all with hook-sets. I use mostly medium-action rods, rated somewhere between 8 - 14 or 8 - 17lb mono. And use either 10lb or 12lb stren mono. As long as you keep a sticky-sharp hook it shouldn't be a problem...

I agree it does take a little bit of force to drive a hook threw the plastic and into the fish's mouth, but with the rods I use, it's not that hard.
Old 03-17-10, 02:49 AM   #15
Strike_King 609

Default whats up

If you want to throw plastics for the money you cant beat the St. Croix MoJo Bass plastic series Its 7ft long cost around 110.00 I have one with the new Quantum KvD Tour with a 5.4:1 reel ratio with 15lb flurocarbon.

I love this action of this rod and would recommend it. My buddy has the Mojo Cranking stick just as nice. good luck on the water
Strike_King 609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 10:05 AM   #16
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Not to rehash something almost a month old but I must have missed this the first go round. I'm just curious about the different tip thing. I would think a fast action would be pretty standard for trigs, crigs, and stick baits. "Completely different tip action" would suggest a moderate action for crigs?
Old 03-17-10, 11:22 AM   #17
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Not to rehash something almost a month old but I must have missed this the first go round. I'm just curious about the different tip thing. I would think a fast action would be pretty standard for trigs, crigs, and stick baits. "Completely different tip action" would suggest a moderate action for crigs?
I hear you. It seems that the terms action and power are used interchangably which many people tend to do, which can lead to confusion.

"Both t rig and senkos can be tossed same outfit,mh 6ft 6 to 7 ft,the crig can either be heavy action or med heavy but a completely different tip action.So one really needs two rods to do those three things."

It is very easy to do, especially when typing quickly. In this case, I bet lilmule meant to say power for the first action in green.

As we know, the terms M, MH, ML refer to a rod's power and generally suggests how much effort is needed to load the rod up. The term action refers to how the rod bends over its length. The flex point of a rod is closer to the tip as the action becomes "faster."

To make things even more confusing, there are no standards in the rod making industry to clearly define a rod's power or action. It will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and can even vary among a rod manufacturer's line of rods.

I have seen C-rig rods with a fast to moderate fast action, depending on the maker.
Old 03-17-10, 11:40 AM   #18
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I hear you. It seems that the terms action and power are used interchangably which many people tend to do, which can lead to confusion.

"Both t rig and senkos can be tossed same outfit,mh 6ft 6 to 7 ft,the crig can either be heavy action or med heavy but a completely different tip action.So one really needs two rods to do those three things."

It is very easy to do, especially when typing quickly. In this case, I bet lilmule meant to say power for the first action in green.

As we know, the terms M, MH, ML refer to a rod's power and generally suggests how much effort is needed to load the rod up. The term action refers to how the rod bends over its length. The flex point of a rod is closer to the tip as the action becomes "faster."

To make things even more confusing, there are no standards in the rod making industry to clearly define a rod's power or action. It will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and can even vary among a rod manufacturer's line of rods.

I have seen C-rig rods with a fast to moderate fast action, depending on the maker.
Very nicely put IB.and very true
Old 03-17-10, 11:56 AM   #19
Jrob78

I think you're probably right IB, people do tend to use action and power interchangably. I don't know how many times I've seen people say MH action. It is a easy mistake to make, hopefully the people that make that mistake actually understand the difference between action and power and merely get the words mixed up.
Old 03-23-10, 02:27 PM   #20
Garry2rs

Here's another little problem, Rick Clunn recently pointed out that rods made outside the USA are generally rated one power heavier that the same power rod made in the USA. So a Shimano rod that is rated H, might only be a MH if made by St.Croix or G.Loomis.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 07:24 PM   #21
Cavs1123

I would probably go with a 6'6" MH rod for the t and c rigs
Old 03-26-10, 09:45 AM   #22
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs View Post
Here's another little problem, Rick Clunn recently pointed out that rods made outside the USA are generally rated one power heavier that the same power rod made in the USA. So a Shimano rod that is rated H, might only be a MH if made by St.Croix or G.Loomis.
Rick Clunn said that?!

I already wasn't a big fan of Rick Clunn, but an insane statement like this makes me not like him even more...

I don't see how where the rod is made would effect the rating of the rod. While power and action ratings do vary between rods, the ratings are solely dependent upon the company that makes the rods. And the ratings can differ throughout the same company's different models as well.

A great example of this would be Daiwa rods. Their Zillion series of rods are notoriously underrated and a Medium power rod acts more like a MH. Now, I've never heard of any other Daiwa rod being underrated like the Zillions are; not the Fuego spinning rods, not the Steez rods, etc.

And then on top of that, you've got rods that aren't made in the US and aren't even made for the US market. Even in JDM gear, the ratings and how the rods actually perform differ.

Another thing to consider is within one company, some rods may be made in the US, and others may be made overseas.

All I'm saying is, I don't think you can judge the ratings of the rod vs. how it acts on where the rod is made. And if Rick Clunn said that, then I think he is an idiot. And what would he know about it anyways, he only fishes 7' H rods.

BB
Old 04-17-10, 04:01 AM   #23
lilmule

Actually its not where its made at, its because they dont use the same standards,kind of like a 13 mm and a 1/2 in,slight difference even though the same wrench might fit either,one rather loose fitting and the other tight.
The other thing one has to consider the longer each rod is, in the same action virtually more bend in it,6 1/2 ft mh rod for c rigging ,and a heavy action 7 fter moderate action tip for same if 1/2 or more weight.7 ft med heavy fairly fast tip is fine for the senko as no weight.
Not everyone would agree and its really what you yourself feel right with,if it catches fish ,then most likly will feel right.To me the crig was harder to find the correct tip action as bass would take then drop,resulting in many missed strikes,if the rod doesnt pull back in that first 3-4 inches its about right.And it should be a side sweep hookset not overhead,thus why again a different tip action.
Tip action goes hand in hand with rod action but not the same.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.