Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-09, 02:26 PM   #1
TnTom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rod Wrapping Jig by Greg Pennel -

THE EASY TO BUILD ROD WRAPPING JIG
  • By Greg Pennell
After browsing through several rod building catalogs and websites, I figured out what I wanted in a rod wrapper and decided to build my own. I selected poplar hardwood from my local Lowe's Home Improvement Store, but you can use pine, maple, oak, or whatever you prefer. Total cost for my wood and the necessary hardware was a little over $21.00. If you've checked the prices for simple rod wrappers in some supply catalogs, you'll see a significant savings.

Materials List:
1"x3"x24" hardwood (2 pieces)Â
1"x2"x24" hardwood (1 piece)
1"x4"x36" hardwood (1 piece)
1/4"x2" bolts, with washers and wing nuts
1/4"x3" bolts, washers, and self locking nuts
1-1/4" drywall screws
Wood glue
FeltÂ
Stain and finish of choice (if desired)

Step 1, The Base
From the 1x2, cut three pieces 5 1/4" long. Put one aside for later. Take the two remaining pieces, and glue/screw them to the bottom of the two 1x3 pieces, leaving about a 5/16" gap between the two 1x3's. Be sure to pre-drill and countersink all screw holes to keep from splitting the wood. Set this aside to allow the glue to dry.     Â

Step 2, The Rod Rests
From the 1x4, cut three pieces 6" long, and two pieces 4" long. Set one of the 6" pieces aside for later. Take the two remaining 6" pieces and clamp them together. Mark and cut a “V" notch 1-1/2" deep in one end. Then Glue/screw the uprights (6" pieces) to the 4" pieces. Drill a 5/16" hole in the center of each of the 4" bases.              Â

Step 3, Thread Tensioner
Now, take the two pieces you set aside earlier. Drill two 1/4" holes in the piece of 1x2, far enough apart so two spools of wrapping thread won't hit each other. On mine, they are 2" apart. Glue/screw the 1x2 to one edge of the piece of 1x4. Drill a 5/16" hole in the center of the 1x4, about 2" from the edge.

Thread the 3" bolts through the two holes in the upright, and secure them with a nut. These will hold your spools of wrapping thread. Tension on mine is supplied by two small pieces of surgical tubing (small springs will also work) I had to use the self-locking nuts because the wing nuts I tried kept un-screwing themselves as the spools turned.

Washers cut from a thin piece of plastic, and placed on both ends of the thread spools help the thread spools to turn smoothly. I added a small eye screw to the base to feed the thread from the bottom of the rod blank.        Â
Â

Step 4, Finishing/Assembly
Sand lightly (if you feel ambitious, you can use a router on all the edges), stain and apply a coat of your finish of choice. I just sprayed mine with a couple of light coats of matte polyurethane. Glue felt (or the fuzzy half of Velcro) to the “V" notches in the rod rests. I put some on the base to keep from scratching the kitchen table, too.

Then use the 2" bolts, washers, and wing nuts to connect the rod rests and thread tensioner to the base. The slot you built into the base is for your adjustments of these three pieces.Â

You should have enough excess wood left to make a separate rod rest (for longer sections or one piece rods). I'm going to make an extra upright for mine, and attach a drying motor, for finishing.

~Greg Pennell thanks Greg

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.