Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-06, 11:37 PM   #1
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default extreme baitcasters

hey yall,do yall know of any reel cleaning service that will clean bass pro shops extreme reels? i need to get my reel cleaned,and i didnt know where to send it. thanks!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-06, 11:53 PM   #2
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Cleaning them yourself isn't too hard. I cleaned all of mine for the first time last winter. PNJ has offered in the past to clean mine. All I had to do is send them to him. You may want to ask him. If you are interested in doing it yourself I'll bet PNJ has a link to a web site that will explain how to do it in pretty good detail.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-06, 12:41 AM   #3
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Does your local tackle shop offer that service? I know of a guy, but he's working on his site now, his name is D.R., and I can get you in contact with him if ya want, I think it's $25 a reel, plus shipping, fast turnaround
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-06, 11:59 AM   #4
skeeter944

wow,$25 a reel! thats a bit pricey. weaverml34,i dont really feel comfortable cleaning it myself,so i want to send it in and get it cleaned professionally. oh,i dont really have a tackle shops anywhere near me,so that is out of the question. thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-27-06, 05:31 PM   #5
pig n jig

Skeeter,Your in luck.I am running a Kevins site discount for reel cleaning service.You pay to have it shipped both ways and I will clean it for free. Actually I only charge $5.00 a reel for the local bass club members for cleaning, The shipping most likely will be all of that , or a bit more, so I will clean it for free.I have been repairing and cleaning reels for 4 years now.I would not like to get into repairs from site members if I can help it. ;Let me know if you would like me to clean it for you, instant message me for my address. The offer stands for anyone else here, unless I get more than I can handle,then you might have to wait a few days,reel cleanings are a quick turnaround. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-06, 05:32 PM   #6
skeeter944

what reel grease and oil do you use pnj? thanks!
Old 11-27-06, 06:36 PM   #7
pig n jig

Skeeter, I have darn near every reel oil made from rocket fuel to hot sauce, shimano(yes Shimano)oil, Daiwa oil and grease, Abu garcia regular and silicote oil & grease, Blue Lube grease (designed for cold weather), Mercury engine coupler spline grease (very good, salt & corrosion resistant and very waterproof) and lithium 777 grease. I also have Quantum hot sauce grease which is junk.It doesn't stay where its applied and it is very thin, doesn't work near as well as the other grease I have.Skeeter, since your not going to service your reels 2 , or 3 times a year, I would stay away from the Rocket fuel as well, provides very little protection, bearings will go dry very quickly with any amount of use at all.P N J
Old 11-27-06, 06:39 PM   #8
pig n jig

I also forgot to mention. Absolutely no UPS deliveries. USPS only please.You wise guys are always thinking. P N J
Old 11-27-06, 06:48 PM   #9
skeeter944

what would be the best oil/grease for the long run?
Old 11-27-06, 07:12 PM   #10
pig n jig

Skeeter, I would use the Shimano, or Daiwa, or Abu oil in the bearings, with the Daiwa, Lithium 777, or Mercury grease on the ring and pinion,friction points of the thumbar assembly.Then I use Abu Garcia Silicote oil on the line pawl assemby.Its thicker grade oil, works perfect for that purpose. Your Extreme is made by Pflueger, so the drags are a dry system as well as your anti-reverse bearing.I only use Simple Green as a cleaner, I do not use lighter fluid, or an acetone cleaner.The reason is some bearings have a teflon film which the lighter fluid, or acetone cleaning fluid could damage.You really should think about learning how to clean them your self in the future.Oils and grease are a bit costly at first, but the little amount you use, they will last you a long time.P N J

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.