Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-07, 09:38 PM   #1
Poppin Bug
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Replacing styrofoam under floor board

First of all, I would like to say this is my first thread. I stumbbled on to this site a few months back and the wealth of knowledge I have gathered from you all is unbelieveable. Thanks in advance. Now my question. After 51 years I finally got my first boat, 89 bass tracker. (fished all my life in a 14' batou with a 10 horse johnson). The tracker is in good condition, but I had to replace the decking and floor. And it turned out great with all the good advice I read from you all. The question I have is under the floor board there was some styrofoam. The styrofoam was all tore up so I threw it out. Do I really need to replace it? Where can I get some? Any alternatives? Thanks for your advice.
Poppin Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 10:53 AM   #2
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

First of all, welcome to the site.

I am not a boat expert, but I would think that the styrofoam would provide some sound deading and maybe some stability. This is my thought. I am sure that some of the folks that visit this board will chime in with some great information.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 05:22 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

welcome to the site..

ok on to your question

i would not.. the foam creates a water barrier. which can trap/hold water for a long time which aint good in winter temps this water trapped in the foam will freeze. ice trapped inside the boat hull is NOT good..under the floor board likly it would be used as a sound barrier..

zooker
Old 07-11-07, 07:07 PM   #4
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Welcome! I saw the same question asked on another site dedicated to boat restoration and the guys on there said that you don't have to replace the styrofoam. Apparently the Coast Guard requires boat manufacturers to put it in the boat. I think the only thing it really does is decrease the rate at which the boat will sink. It won't keep it from sinking, if it's going to go down. It will just give you a little more time to tie all your gear to an extra life vest.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 11:55 AM   #5
Poppin Bug
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the info. Appreciate you taking the time to respond. I think I will skip the styrofoam, put down the boards, and hit the bayous.
Old 07-13-07, 06:52 PM   #6
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Leave out the strofoam. As zook said all it does is act as a sponge and cost you more headaches later. I am closing up the resoration on a lil 16ft booat that has been a labor of love and even after spending 2 years on building da boat NO styrofoam in my boat to do damage again.
Old 07-17-07, 08:50 PM   #7
flfireman

I like the styrofoam to deaden sound. However I've been using the spray in expanding foam. Tin cans make a lot of noise. Haven't seen any problems with this stuff holding water on me.
Old 07-18-07, 11:04 AM   #8
WIUbassin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i'm not 100% sure but when I bought my aluminum boat i was told the styrofoam hidden in mine would be enough to keep it afloat in the event of capsize... maybe it will depend on the boat but it might not be a bad idea to just contact the manufacturer and see if maybe it is enough to keep it afloat... just an idea. Good Luck!
Old 07-20-07, 11:49 AM   #9
FlyRod

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Bug View Post
Thanks for the info. Appreciate you taking the time to respond. I think I will skip the styrofoam, put down the boards, and hit the bayous.
" Let me see...no positive flotation in boat...about to hit a stump....
Mmmmmmmm...dinnahhhhh is served!"

Signed:
Al I. Gator
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 11:45 AM   #10
Poppin Bug
BassFishin.Com Member

Wink

Ah yes indeed flyrod...but down here in the great state of Louisiana, the gator would be dinner...nothing like a good alligator sauce piquant after a hard days fishing
Old 07-29-07, 10:53 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

Yes the foam is a sound deadner. The spray foam is good stuff as long as you dont over do it. It does expand. Most boat manufacturers put in what the call a pourable foam and it expands as well. If you wanna put some in make sure you leave a way for water to channel out such as a piece of small pvc piping the length of the boat and then spay the foam in. This will allow the water to channel out and alleviate the fear of the foam becoming water logged as well. The foam in my restoration boat will be in the sides of the boat. Hard to explain how I am doing this but I will float if I hit a stump but not have to worry bout foam being water logged. Water logged foam is a boat's worst enemy.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.