Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-07, 11:57 AM   #1
BLWeng
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to BLWeng
Default How much will this cost

Speedo don't work. Disconnected hose form dash and very little water coming out. I understand there is a small hole on the motor somewhere, but have no idea where it is.
Second, I had very little H2O PSI on guage the other day while running. It was only about 15 or 20. Usually around 60-65. I was told the impeller needs to be changed on Yamaha about every year?? True or False?
Third, i just took it out to wash up and run a little today with flusher, and the Trim doesn't work, on the control hadle in drivers seat, or switch on boat. Worked very sluggishly at first, then quit all together. Still makes "clicking" sound when buttons are pushed, but motor doesn't move.

Now i guess i understand why people say a boat is nothing more than a hole in the water to throw money into. My warranty on motor just ran out in March. That figures now doesn't it.
Motor: Yamaha VMAX 150-2005
Thanks for the help. (maybe) lol
Old 07-16-07, 12:43 PM   #2
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Speedo is the least of your worries. Little hole on motor skeg fills with crap. Small drill inserted and used to remove stuff that cloggs it. Do not use a power drill.. Hand drill it with some vice grips and a small drill bit.

Yes impeller each year on a Yammy. Lube new one and it will last two years maybe. Check thermostats too.

Could be battery or the hydrulic motor is bad. Charge battery good if it still clicks tap it gentle like with a small hammer.. If it starts working then the brushes are fouled and a rebuild it needed. Do not think it is fixed and go out and run around.. It will fail again at the most needed time.. If it does not work at all replace it. Bleed screw will allow you to raise motor and work on it. If it has seen salt good luck on removal.

Capt Mike
Old 07-16-07, 06:57 PM   #3
BLWeng

Ok Mike, appreciate the info. I have several small holes on the skeg. Not sure which one to look at.
If you battery is dead, and that is what i thought it might be due to it moving very sluggishly, which battery does the trim work off of. I have 3 batteries, 2 for the trolling motor, and 1 for cranking. The boat cranks with no hesitation at all.
Old 07-17-07, 10:13 AM   #4
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLWeng View Post
Ok Mike, appreciate the info. I have several small holes on the skeg. Not sure which one to look at.
If you battery is dead, and that is what i thought it might be due to it moving very sluggishly, which battery does the trim work off of. I have 3 batteries, 2 for the trolling motor, and 1 for cranking. The boat cranks with no hesitation at all.
Leading edge of the skeg.. (on mercs) Yammys I would think the same. I am assuming you do not have a small plastic arm mounted on hull edge at the rear.. If so the motor pickup was rerouted to that.. it flips up upon impact and you just flip it down. And speedo is back.

Crank battery does the trim..

Only trolling motor and charger should ever be connected to the trolling motor batteries. It prevents cross circuits and power pack burn outs.

For instance a new boat owner had a bad crank battery and used a pair of jumpers to start the motor off the trolling batterys. The cross over connector was in place (front four prong plug for trolling motor). Smoke from front and back of boat and he was dead on the ramp.

If you ever jump off your trolling batterys remove the cables first.. and it is good to carry jumpers.. It can save the day..

Capt Mike
Old 07-19-07, 07:33 PM   #5
BLWeng

Thought it might be a dead battery, just because it was acting like that, but charged battery and battery is fully charged. Thought maybe was selonoid, and it might be, but i kind of see it odd that both selonoids went out, being the up and down. Tapped on the motor, and nothing. Do you think the entire trim/tilt motor went out, and if so, what am i looking at?
Old 07-19-07, 09:06 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

they are expensive but i don't know of anything else i would rather go broke doing.
Old 07-20-07, 11:47 AM   #7
FlyRod

BL,

Have you considered another hobby?
I think our friends here have nailed it but
you might also go here for some additional counsel:

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=54

These are the Yama-heads and they know their stuff.

Good luck.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-07, 05:58 PM   #8
Fishnfool4evr
BassFishin.Com Member

BLWeng i am pretty new here my self, but i did have the same trouble with my tilt n trim. although i had a 150 johnson faststrike. i called the boatstore ( Imperial Marine ) n they told me to look under the kowl n see if i could find 2 small 1" cube black breakers that were next to each other. when i found them he told me to pull them n switch places. i did an the tilt n trim worked, but i had to buy 2 new ones, that may be yur problem, at least thats what mine was doing n that fixed it, they were not expensive at all, i found that sometimes it sure is a lot cheaper to call them then take the boat to them lol good luck.

Last edited by Fishnfool4evr; 07-20-07 at 06:26 PM.
Fishnfool4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-07, 02:33 PM   #9
BLWeng

called two shops...2 different answers. First one stated trim relays are bad. Tapped with hammer...nothing. Second shop stated power trim motor is bad and needs replaced. Took voltage meter and had power at relays. took motor off and tested, had power at motor, but would not spin. The shop stated that Yamaha motor is $649.00. But he stated, a little helpful hint, that an Evinrude/Johnson power trim motor will fit...same motor, same manufactor, for about $249.00. Hopefully that will help another Yammy user.
Old 07-24-07, 08:58 PM   #10
BLWeng

Hey guys, really appreciate all the help as always.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.