Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-10, 03:58 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Pro Qualifier Reel Experience.

Had to write this post. I don't usually get this jazzed from new gear that I have to write about it, but this time I am. All I can say is this Pro Qualifier reel really impressed me to no end. I bought the 6.4:1 ratio version which has a line recovery of 26" for topwater and shallow water crankbaits, pointer 100's and so on. I matched it to a BPS 6 1/2' M power Extreme rod with flexable tip. Not sure what the action is exactly but feels like med fast. I had the day off so took the new reel out for a test drive so to speak, casting from shore. This may be the smartest investment I've made in a long time. This Pro Qualifier reel casts so smoothly, and casts a mile. Retrieves and handles like a dream. I have several Revo's, and while I'm not going to say it has the quality of a Revo, using it, you would think they were from the same mold. It performed every bit as well as my Revo's. I picked it up for $69.94. At that price, it's a steel. If your looking for another baitcaster that performs flawlessly and won't break the bank, this is it!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 04:20 PM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yeah I bought one used on craigslsit for $40 bucks on a nice rod... Best money I have spent thus far on a rod/reel combo... In the spring before I go to KY lake I am gonna buy a 4.7:1 ration one to match with a BPS Crankin Stick for deep crankin...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 04:48 PM   #3
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Yeah I bought one used on craigslsit for $40 bucks on a nice rod... Best money I have spent thus far on a rod/reel combo... In the spring before I go to KY lake I am gonna buy a 4.7:1 ration one to match with a BPS Crankin Stick for deep crankin...
That will be a killer rig.
Old 10-15-10, 09:16 PM   #4
rrw4258

Pro Qualifier reels are the best reels for the money, IMO. At the $70 sale price, I am going to buy all I can get my hands on!

Ryan
Old 10-16-10, 10:39 AM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would honestly put the Pro Qualifier on the same level as most medium to high end reels. I have a Revo, and would choose the PQ everytime, even if they were the same money. You'll continue to be amazed.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 01:50 PM   #6
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I agree. I've been talking these reels up for a while now. I just hope they don't jack up the price on them. I do plan to buy a few more of them. I also have a Revo and Curado. If I judge just on the quality of the cast, its in the same league. I would have to really study the quality of build. Would I come up with enough difference to warrant the price difference, that's up to debate and time. This was my first season with the PQ and not quite a full season at that. I will need to see in time how they hold up. Right now though, I'm thrilled with the purchase. Keithdog, glad you made the plunge and like it.
As far as the reel holding up, I've read on threads from several forums that they do indeed hold up for seasons.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 05:33 PM   #7
walkeraviator

My PQ is teh older version with the centrifugal brakes... really lookin forward to a newer one for cranking...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 09:53 PM   #8
Old Hooker

I've bought three since spring. 2 with a 6.4:1 and a 5.2:1 for cranks. I love 'em. As you said, smooth to reel and will cast a country mile. I also have a Revo S for pitching and may buy another PQ soon. At 4 to 1 the Revo may need some back up.
Old 10-24-10, 01:18 PM   #9
pro reel

The pro qualifier is a very good reel. The price is unbeatable. There is very little difference between a PQ and a Revo STX. The Revo has a 2 part spool which can make the spool spin a little more freely, but direct comparison shows very little difference. The Revo has a few more bearings, but they are in areas that make very little difference. The big difference is the drag disks. The Revo uses carbon fiber disks and the PQ has nylon disks. The good news is that they are the exact same size. You can get a set of carbon drag disks for the Revo and put them in the PQ. The cost is about 10 to 12 bucks. Almost every internal part will swap between some of the revo"s and The PQ. I can put PQ gears in a Revo S or Sx to get a lower gear ratio Revo. I can swap the worm gear and line guide tube from a Revo SX or STX to the PQ to add the bearing suported worm gear and the stronger titanium coated gear to the PQ.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 09:46 AM   #10
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
The pro qualifier is a very good reel. The price is unbeatable. There is very little difference between a PQ and a Revo STX. The Revo has a 2 part spool which can make the spool spin a little more freely, but direct comparison shows very little difference. The Revo has a few more bearings, but they are in areas that make very little difference. The big difference is the drag disks. The Revo uses carbon fiber disks and the PQ has nylon disks. The good news is that they are the exact same size. You can get a set of carbon drag disks for the Revo and put them in the PQ. The cost is about 10 to 12 bucks. Almost every internal part will swap between some of the revo"s and The PQ. I can put PQ gears in a Revo S or Sx to get a lower gear ratio Revo. I can swap the worm gear and line guide tube from a Revo SX or STX to the PQ to add the bearing suported worm gear and the stronger titanium coated gear to the PQ.
I think im going to like having you on this site...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 06:38 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Wow, being that I am a Revo fan, I feel even better about buying the PQ! And I'm with CMorg, I think I'm going to like having you around too, lol.
Old 10-25-10, 08:28 PM   #12
Tavery5

Quote:
Kevin, still a little confused, does the PQ use the same spool design as the STX, or does it use the longer shaft like the spool on the SX. I have an older STX (2009) mag brakes only, that has a bad spool that I need to replace, but the price is crazy.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 09:20 PM   #13
Jrob78

I picked one up today too. I figured it would be a good inexpensive reel to try out in LH. My initial impression is very good. It seems super smooth, I already flushed the bearings and re-lubed them.

One interesting note, the high speed reels have shallow V spools and the low geared reels have deep spools.
Old 10-25-10, 10:44 PM   #14
pro reel

The PQ uses a one peice spool shaft, thats the biggest difference between the STX and the PQ. The PQ is somewhere between a Revo SX and the STX. You could put a one peice spool in an STX, but you would need to change the gears also. Tavery, you are here in Wichita. Send me a pm and if you want, I can order you a new STX spool with my next ABU parts order at a discount. You can pick it up when it comes in. I'm on the N.W side of town.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 12:00 AM   #15
Old Hooker

Quote:
The PQ is somewhere between a Revo SX and the STX.
That is something I have wondered about. I wasn't really sure if the PQ is built by Abu Garcia, I just knew they looked very similar. Thanks for clearing that up Pro Reel.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.